Rumors > Speedlites, Printers, Accessories

would i gain any write speed from fast CF on an old 5Dc?

(1/3) > >>

MK5GTI:
currently using Sandisk Ultra (probably their slowest card now  :-\ ) on my 5D1.

i find this combo to be very slow for writing speed (don't really care for reading speed).

and seeing these Extreme (not Extreme Pro) CF cards goes for $35 for 8GB at B&H, wondering if running one of these faster CF would benefit me at all? or is it limited by my buffer? which seems to be small?

I shoot Jpeg most of the time now becoz of this, shooting Raw is really lagging.

i assume the 5d2 and 5d3 has larger buffer, wondering what user with older Canon body like mine are using and want to hear their experience.

Thanks!

jfretless:
upgrade.

can't hurt the speed, only help it. 

your current card has been used a lot.  NAND memory cells have limited life.  the memory controller will remap away from dead cells, sure, but the longer you use the card, more chances of a bad write.

CF card prices are cheap.  You don't even have to buy the highest speed, 1000x by Lexar, you can go for 600x, or even 400x.  That way, you don't pay the premium for the current fastest.

higher capacity.  more shots on the card.  the minimum available is probably double the size of your current card.

gives you a chance to get rid of your sandisk cards and switch to Lexar.  If you look at Rob Galbraith's CF database, Lexar occupies a majority of top ten spots.  The database doesn't have the 5D classic, and the camera won't take advantage of UDMA cards, but... by getting a card faster than the camera can write, you are certain that the bottle neck is the camera and not the card. 

MK5GTI:
thanks for your reply, very informative! know nothing about those memory cells

Lexar do look faster than the Sandisk from Rob Galbraith's CF database, plus B&H is having a sale with them too!

does formatting the card frequently helps? if so, format at the computer or camera?

Drizzt321:

--- Quote from: MK5GTI on October 10, 2012, 03:58:07 PM ---thanks for your reply, very informative! know nothing about those memory cells

Lexar do look faster than the Sandisk from Rob Galbraith's CF database, plus B&H is having a sale with them too!

does formatting the card frequently helps? if so, format at the computer or camera?

--- End quote ---

Not really, it's just generally (for most purposes) way to wipe the card than have it delete the files one by one. Sometimes a camera may have some issues reading/writing to the card if it's not formatted in that camera, although that's pretty uncommon.

jfretless:

--- Quote from: Drizzt321 on October 10, 2012, 04:05:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: MK5GTI on October 10, 2012, 03:58:07 PM ---thanks for your reply, very informative! know nothing about those memory cells

--- End quote ---

Not really, it's just generally (for most purposes) way to wipe the card than have it delete the files one by one. Sometimes a camera may have some issues reading/writing to the card if it's not formatted in that camera, although that's pretty uncommon.

--- End quote ---

Yeah.  I made it a habit to format the card in camera before a shoot.  This, as Drizz', stated is just a quick way to delete all the images on card.  Also, this alleviates any issues with filenames if the card is used between multiple cameras.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version