July 29, 2014, 11:34:58 AM

Author Topic: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"  (Read 13410 times)

dpedro

  • PowerShot G1 X II
  • ***
  • Posts: 64
    • View Profile
Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« on: October 10, 2012, 04:45:16 PM »
I am seriously sitting here ready to pull the trigger and order my 5D Mark iii.  I have L glass and currently shoot with a T4i.  I do just fine with my camera and LR4, but know that the FF be a better choice, especially for my indoor event photography.  If I was ready to order this last month or the month before, i wouldn't be worried about anything, but this close to Nov, I have to wonder if I am going to be angry with myself for missing the next 2750.00 type sale.  Typically, do these sales begin early Nov or closer to black Friday/X-Mas?  If B and H only drops this camera by 100 or so, I won't care, but saving almost 800 bucks had I waited 2-3 weeks would def make me regretful.  I know it shows a 5D3 in my profile, but I had planned on having it by this week...LOL Everything else in my profile I own now. 
5D Mark III / T4i / 35 L / 85 1.8 / 85 L / 24-70 2.8 L II / 100 2.8 L Macro / 135 L / 24-105 F4L / 70-200 F2.8 II/ 16 - 35 L / 8-15 L Fish Eye

www.facebook.com/AFlashInTimePhotographyByDonPedro

canon rumors FORUM

Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« on: October 10, 2012, 04:45:16 PM »

Menace

  • 1D X
  • *******
  • Posts: 1308
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 04:54:02 PM »
If you can wait another few weeks then why not wait? It's not like you are missing shots or are losing money because you don't have the 5d III in your kit.

Are you planning on keeping your crop camera as a 2nd body together with the EFs lenses or sell them to fund new gear?

Cheers
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

dpedro

  • PowerShot G1 X II
  • ***
  • Posts: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 05:23:19 PM »
Keeping T4i for second body and 10-22.  Sold 17-55 2.8 today to order 24-70.  Might do a 6D later for second body.  Also might upgrade 70-200 for the 2.8 IS II later
5D Mark III / T4i / 35 L / 85 1.8 / 85 L / 24-70 2.8 L II / 100 2.8 L Macro / 135 L / 24-105 F4L / 70-200 F2.8 II/ 16 - 35 L / 8-15 L Fish Eye

www.facebook.com/AFlashInTimePhotographyByDonPedro

Mt Spokane Photography

  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • ********
  • Posts: 8272
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 10:42:35 PM »
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:27:52 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

mirekti

  • Rebel T5i
  • ****
  • Posts: 138
    • View Profile
M240 | 35mm FLE | 75mm Cron | 135mm APO

Mt Spokane Photography

  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • ********
  • Posts: 8272
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:32:51 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

Dylan777

  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • *******
  • Posts: 3693
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 01:18:15 AM »

How low do you expect 5D III to drop before you pulll the trigger? $2500???
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 01:18:15 AM »

dpedro

  • PowerShot G1 X II
  • ***
  • Posts: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 04:39:08 PM »
I am willing to buy it now, but if B and H drops it by 700 - 750 right after Nov, I will pass the hell out. LOL
5D Mark III / T4i / 35 L / 85 1.8 / 85 L / 24-70 2.8 L II / 100 2.8 L Macro / 135 L / 24-105 F4L / 70-200 F2.8 II/ 16 - 35 L / 8-15 L Fish Eye

www.facebook.com/AFlashInTimePhotographyByDonPedro

RLPhoto

  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • *******
  • Posts: 3293
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 04:44:21 PM »
I am seriously sitting here ready to pull the trigger and order my 5D Mark iii.  I have L glass and currently shoot with a T4i.  I do just fine with my camera and LR4, but know that the FF be a better choice, especially for my indoor event photography.  If I was ready to order this last month or the month before, i wouldn't be worried about anything, but this close to Nov, I have to wonder if I am going to be angry with myself for missing the next 2750.00 type sale.  Typically, do these sales begin early Nov or closer to black Friday/X-Mas?  If B and H only drops this camera by 100 or so, I won't care, but saving almost 800 bucks had I waited 2-3 weeks would def make me regretful.  I know it shows a 5D3 in my profile, but I had planned on having it by this week...LOL Everything else in my profile I own now.

Wait for the 2750$ deal. I managed to get my 5D3 for 3099$ and it was the best choice ever.

dpedro

  • PowerShot G1 X II
  • ***
  • Posts: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 09:40:26 PM »
Thanks, even the B and H salesman hinted that I may want to hold off a few weeks just to be safe.  Either way, I will have one well before Christmas.  The more I save on the sale, the faster I am getting my 24-70 2.8 ii and after that a 70-200 2.8 ii.  Probably done for a long while unless I upgrade my 85 for the L someday
5D Mark III / T4i / 35 L / 85 1.8 / 85 L / 24-70 2.8 L II / 100 2.8 L Macro / 135 L / 24-105 F4L / 70-200 F2.8 II/ 16 - 35 L / 8-15 L Fish Eye

www.facebook.com/AFlashInTimePhotographyByDonPedro

mirekti

  • Rebel T5i
  • ****
  • Posts: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 09:59:01 PM »
Thanks, even the B and H salesman hinted that I may want to hold off a few weeks just to be safe. 

I wish he had told you to hold off till saturday  ;)
M240 | 35mm FLE | 75mm Cron | 135mm APO

tron

  • 1D X
  • *******
  • Posts: 1782
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 10:28:29 PM »
Look! Basically it's almost always Murphy's Law. Either you wait in which case the price will not drop significantly and you may lose some nice photos in the meantime, or you get it now and suddenly the price drops! Your choice!!!  ;D  ;D

Waterdonkey

  • Rebel SL1
  • ***
  • Posts: 86
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 11:06:38 PM »
DO it do it do it. Pull the trigger... Your are going to be so happy.  I came up from the 7D to the 5D III and pre-ordered it to boot. Paid a lot of money and I don't regret a thing. Full frame is a whole different animal, well No S#!+, right? But man I just could not appreciate that until I shot with a FF for awhile... Just a whole different animal.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 11:06:38 PM »

robbymack

  • 7D
  • *****
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 11:46:50 PM »
Why wait to save a few bucks. Pull the trigger.

RC

  • 6D
  • *****
  • Posts: 607
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 12:14:49 AM »
I don't see any significant drop in price (below $3000) for a long time.  Canon will probably do a rebate around the holidays or early 2013 which I wouldn't expect it to be more than $150.

The Adorama and now the Beach Camera ebay sales puzzle me.  I still do not understand how and why they were able to do that.  I've read what others have posted but I remain skeptical.  I would not count on a 3rd ebay sale but who knows.

If I was aching to pull the trigger, I'd try and wait until Thanksgiving/Black Friday.   If no sales or rebates then, just order it and enjoy.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 12:14:49 AM »