October 20, 2014, 01:26:59 AM

Author Topic: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"  (Read 14344 times)

verysimplejason

  • 1D X
  • *******
  • Posts: 1353
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 12:26:12 AM »
If you can wait till 6D, you might get better deals for 5D3.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 12:26:12 AM »

Dylan777

  • Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • *******
  • Posts: 4189
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 01:08:28 AM »
Thanks, even the B and H salesman hinted that I may want to hold off a few weeks just to be safe.  Either way, I will have one well before Christmas.  The more I save on the sale, the faster I am getting my 24-70 2.8 ii and after that a 70-200 2.8 ii.  Probably done for a long while unless I upgrade my 85 for the L someday

Did the saleman told you about 35L or 50L too???  ::)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 01:11:23 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Dylan777

  • Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • *******
  • Posts: 4189
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 01:20:46 AM »
I don't see any significant drop in price (below $3000) for a long time.  Canon will probably do a rebate around the holidays or early 2013 which I wouldn't expect it to be more than $150.

The Adorama and now the Beach Camera ebay sales puzzle me.  I still do not understand how and why they were able to do that.  I've read what others have posted but I remain skeptical.  I would not count on a 3rd ebay sale but who knows.

If I was aching to pull the trigger, I'd try and wait until Thanksgiving/Black Friday.   If no sales or rebates then, just order it and enjoy.

+1....I can see Canon offers $200 - $300, plus maybe another $100 from BH during end of year holiday sales.

For 2012, I bet $5 that 5D III price will not drop below $2900 even on big holidays. I'm talking about an offical price drop from Canon, not through Ebay deals.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

dpedro

  • PowerShot G1 X II
  • ***
  • Posts: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »
yeah, I don't care what happens, I will own this damn camera by or on Black Friday.  I am trying to get a 24-70 and upgrade my 70-200 f4l to the 2.8 ii, so every penny helps.  Rebate, package deal, what ever they do for the holiday, I am getting it. 

Would you sell the f4l 70-200 to get the 2.8 ii or keep both for times you want to grap a lighter kit?  I am leaning toward keeping it.  I used my buddies 2.8 ii and that sucker felt like it wanted to tear the front of my old t4i clean off...LOL. 

After the dust settles, I should have the 5D3/T4i the 35L/85 1.8/24-70 2.8L/100 L Macro/70-200 F4L and 2.8L
5D Mark III / T4i / 35 L / 85 1.8 / 85 L / 24-70 2.8 L II / 100 2.8 L Macro / 135 L / 24-105 F4L / 70-200 F2.8 II/ 16 - 35 L / 8-15 L Fish Eye

www.facebook.com/AFlashInTimePhotographyByDonPedro

RC

  • 6D
  • *****
  • Posts: 608
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 11:34:50 AM »
yeah, I don't care what happens, I will own this damn camera by or on Black Friday.  I am trying to get a 24-70 and upgrade my 70-200 f4l to the 2.8 ii, so every penny helps.  Rebate, package deal, what ever they do for the holiday, I am getting it. 
I'm in a very similar situation as you.  I too plan to buy a 5D3 but not at the current price.  Eventually I'll break down and get one--how long and at what price remains to be seen.  I don't want to spend all my money on body since there are a couple of lens I want to get.  I don't have a problem spending money on photography but I do have a problem spending $3500 on just a body.

Would you sell the f4l 70-200 to get the 2.8 ii or keep both for times you want to grap a lighter kit?  I am leaning toward keeping it.  I used my buddies 2.8 ii and that sucker felt like it wanted to tear the front of my old t4i clean off...LOL. 
I also have the 70-200 F4 IS and will mostly likely sell it for the 2.8 II.  I realize I could benefit from the extra stop more so than the compactness of the F4.  I can't justify keeping both.  If money is not an issue at all, I'd keep both but I suspect most people don't need both, can't justify both, or can't afford both.

Dylan777

  • Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • *******
  • Posts: 4189
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 11:50:52 AM »
yeah, I don't care what happens, I will own this damn camera by or on Black Friday.  I am trying to get a 24-70 and upgrade my 70-200 f4l to the 2.8 ii, so every penny helps.  Rebate, package deal, what ever they do for the holiday, I am getting it. 

Would you sell the f4l 70-200 to get the 2.8 ii or keep both for times you want to grap a lighter kit?  I am leaning toward keeping it.  I used my buddies 2.8 ii and that sucker felt like it wanted to tear the front of my old t4i clean off...LOL. 

After the dust settles, I should have the 5D3/T4i the 35L/85 1.8/24-70 2.8L/100 L Macro/70-200 F4L and 2.8L

If I have f2.8 IS II on hand, I would sell the f4 in heart beat - use that money to buy 2nd FF body (5D II or III)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Mt Spokane Photography

  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • ********
  • Posts: 8851
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 12:07:55 PM »
I don't see any significant drop in price (below $3000) for a long time.  Canon will probably do a rebate around the holidays or early 2013 which I wouldn't expect it to be more than $150.

The Adorama and now the Beach Camera ebay sales puzzle me.  I still do not understand how and why they were able to do that.  I've read what others have posted but I remain skeptical.  I would not count on a 3rd ebay sale but who knows.

If I was aching to pull the trigger, I'd try and wait until Thanksgiving/Black Friday.   If no sales or rebates then, just order it and enjoy.
There has been a below $3000 sale each month for 4 months now, no reason not to expect another one.  I think Canon is reducing excess inventory each month to avoid getting caught like they did last Christmas.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 12:07:55 PM »

Zlatko

  • Guest
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 12:25:08 PM »
Would you sell the f4l 70-200 to get the 2.8 ii or keep both for times you want to grap a lighter kit?  I am leaning toward keeping it.  I used my buddies 2.8 ii and that sucker felt like it wanted to tear the front of my old t4i clean off...LOL. 
I would keep both, the f/4 for times when I want a lighter kit.  The weight difference is pretty big.  The 5D3 is so good in low light that you may not even need the f/2.8 version of the 70-200.

Standard

  • Guest
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 12:49:33 PM »
Quote
Quote
Would you sell the f4l 70-200 to get the 2.8 ii or keep both for times you want to grap a lighter kit?  I am leaning toward keeping it.  I used my buddies 2.8 ii and that sucker felt like it wanted to tear the front of my old t4i clean off...LOL.
I would keep both, the f/4 for times when I want a lighter kit.  The weight difference is pretty big.  The 5D3 is so good in low light that you may not even need the f/2.8 version of the 70-200.

Exactly.

sagittariansrock

  • 1D X
  • *******
  • Posts: 1438
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 12:59:55 PM »
Look! Basically it's almost always Murphy's Law. Either you wait in which case the price will not drop significantly and you may lose some nice photos in the meantime, or you get it now and suddenly the price drops! Your choice!!!  ;D  ;D

Alternatively, he can buy now and get something to go "click click" right away or wait but save money. A win-win, ain't it? ;D
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

preppyak

  • 1D Mark IV
  • ******
  • Posts: 786
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 01:22:24 PM »
yeah, I don't care what happens, I will own this damn camera by or on Black Friday.  I am trying to get a 24-70 and upgrade my 70-200 f4l to the 2.8 ii, so every penny helps.  Rebate, package deal, what ever they do for the holiday, I am getting it. 
Yeah, in that case I'd wait. Canon, last year, had a TON of rebate deals. I think the 70-200 f/2.8 II was going for <$2000, even close to $1800 at times. Likewise for some of the other lenses, everything was about 10% off.

If you're fine waiting, history says that November is a great time to buy, as that is when they do more aggressive instant rebates. Prices usually continue to drop through Xmas

mirekti

  • Rebel T5i
  • ****
  • Posts: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 01:57:43 PM »
Look! Basically it's almost always Murphy's Law. Either you wait in which case the price will not drop significantly and you may lose some nice photos in the meantime, or you get it now and suddenly the price drops! Your choice!!!  ;D  ;D

Alternatively, he can buy now and get something to go "click click" right away or wait but save money. A win-win, ain't it? ;D

I just found this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847546-REG/Canon_5260B009_EOS_5D_Mark_III.html and it makes 5D III @2700ish. I can easely sell the lens for 1k back home.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 01:59:31 PM by mirekti »
M240 | 35mm FLE | 75mm Cron | 135mm APO

dpedro

  • PowerShot G1 X II
  • ***
  • Posts: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »
WTH, they have the same kit listed 2x and they are listed for different prices.  one is 3900 and the other is 3749.00.  Not sure the difference.  Is one grey market???
5D Mark III / T4i / 35 L / 85 1.8 / 85 L / 24-70 2.8 L II / 100 2.8 L Macro / 135 L / 24-105 F4L / 70-200 F2.8 II/ 16 - 35 L / 8-15 L Fish Eye

www.facebook.com/AFlashInTimePhotographyByDonPedro

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »

techsmith13

  • SX50 HS
  • **
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 02:16:47 PM »
WTH, they have the same kit listed 2x and they are listed for different prices.  one is 3900 and the other is 3749.00.  Not sure the difference.  Is one grey market???

The 3900 one is a B&H kit. It has extra stuff.

westr70

  • EOS M2
  • ****
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 02:19:01 PM »
Look! Basically it's almost always Murphy's Law. Either you wait in which case the price will not drop significantly and you may lose some nice photos in the meantime, or you get it now and suddenly the price drops! Your choice!!!  ;D  ;D

Alternatively, he can buy now and get something to go "click click" right away or wait but save money. A win-win, ain't it? ;D

+1
5DIII; 600D; 7D; 100-400mm, f4.5-5.6; EFS-18-135, f3.5-5.6; 100mm, f2.8 IS; 70-200mm, F4 L IS; 17-40mm, f4 L USM; Sigma 50 mm, f2.8.
http://500px.com/Westr70
http://www.facebook.com/JohnFosterPhotography

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 02:19:01 PM »