August 29, 2014, 04:24:00 PM

Author Topic: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"  (Read 13752 times)

Standard

Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 02:19:12 PM »
The one here has additional accessories such as a camera bag, memory card, etc.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/886952-REG/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_III.html

Personally, I am waiting for the body alone to make the big drop. It's too much of a hassle for me trying to sell the 24-105L for the same amount it's going for.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 02:19:12 PM »

dpedro

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 02:27:31 PM »
I didn't even notice the B and H kit.  I don't need a bag, but the CF card and battery are cool.  I spent a few bucks on two aftermarket batteries for my T4i and they work perfectly.  I may get that kit, that's not a bad all purpose lens.  I can sell that and my 17-55 2.8 to buy the 24-70 2.8 ii.  I wonder if that lens will sell though.  Seems like a lot of those are flooding the market and might not move very fast.

5D Mark III / T4i / 35 L / 85 1.8 / 85 L / 24-70 2.8 L II / 100 2.8 L Macro / 135 L / 24-105 F4L / 70-200 F2.8 II/ 16 - 35 L / 8-15 L Fish Eye

www.facebook.com/AFlashInTimePhotographyByDonPedro

dpedro

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 02:45:49 PM »
Dang, I need two use my visa gift card and my regualr card.  B and H only does a split payment over the phone and they are closed until Sunday.  I will probaby order this sucker on Sunday.  Not a bad deal sell the lens or keep the lens, it's a 900 dollar lens and it's only 200 bucks over the body price.  I still feel like a better deal will happen for the nate November holiday, but this is a pretty nice deal too.
5D Mark III / T4i / 35 L / 85 1.8 / 85 L / 24-70 2.8 L II / 100 2.8 L Macro / 135 L / 24-105 F4L / 70-200 F2.8 II/ 16 - 35 L / 8-15 L Fish Eye

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 03:15:25 PM »
Would you sell the f4l 70-200 to get the 2.8 ii or keep both for times you want to grap a lighter kit?  I am leaning toward keeping it.  I used my buddies 2.8 ii and that sucker felt like it wanted to tear the front of my old t4i clean off...LOL. 
I would keep both, the f/4 for times when I want a lighter kit.  The weight difference is pretty big.  The 5D3 is so good in low light that you may not even need the f/2.8 version of the 70-200.

Right, though given how remarkably good the 70-200 f/4 IS is I don't think it makes much sense for someone who already owns one to add to it, or replace it with, a 70-200 2.8 II without making sure first-hand (renting, borrowing) it can do things that matter to him that the f/4 IS can't do as well.

dpedro

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 10:24:31 PM »
I really want the new 24-70 for my event photography and for that same reason (2.8) I wanted to upgrade the 70-200.  I will test out the 24-105 before I sell it for the 24-70.  I shoot families and kids and models, most of those I can do with the kit f4 lens and my 35L/85 1.8.  When I do school plays, high school reunions, military events and eventually, weddings, I am thinking I will wish I had the 24-70 and 70-200 2.8's.

Right now, on my T4i, I use my 17-55 2.8 and 35L. 

I could get this kit with 24-105 and when doing events, I guess I could use my T4i with the 17-55 with the primes on the 5d 3.  That would save me a few expensive lenses.

dpedro

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 10:26:50 PM »
I didn't catch where you said swap my f4 70-200 for the IS version.  I wish I sprung for the IS the first time around.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 10:34:40 PM »
I waited, and was ready to jump when the Adorama $2750 deal came along.  I now have $55 ebay bucks to spend as well.
Just keep a eye open, sign up for e-mail notification of a price drop at Canon Price watch and other similar sites, and wait.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 10:34:40 PM »

ender78

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2012, 11:12:52 PM »
I'm in the same boat.  I have the money set aside and am waiting for the right sale.  I have a local dealer willing to sell it for $3100 which is $100 more than I want to spend knowing a sale at B&H is likely.

dpedro

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2012, 12:19:15 AM »
That B and H kit with the 24-105 lens for 3749 is pretty good.  950 dollar lens for 200 bucks.  Keep it or sell it for over 800 an you have a damn decent deal.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2012, 04:36:32 PM »
FYI - I just received a 5DIII from Beach Camera that I purchased for $2899 (thanks to a CanonRumors Forum tip) at Beach Camera's eBay store.  I'm leaving town in a couple hours so no time to test or do anything except visually inspect and post this message.

The Good
-  No funny business, calls or shipment games.  Arrived via FedEx Ground Home Delivery.
-  Purchased Sat evening with BuyItNow.
-  Ship Notification with tracking info on Mon.
-  Arrived here today (Friday) requiring signature.
-  US Warranty Card in box with a matching serial number to the camera's bottom plate.

The Bad
Pathetic Packing!!  (Note attached picture.)  They shipped it in a box the exact size of the camera box.  No packing material or cushion whatsoever.  I have no idea how much shock/drop abuse the box received during shipment.  I can't believe a camera dealer would ship a $3000 camera with no packing to protect it.  Ridiculous!
-  It appears that the camera box was opened and contents removed and then repacked.  Not sure if it matters since everything is there and the camera appears clean but I'll find out more next week when I register the camera with Canon and test it.  Since the serial number matches the US Warranty, I assume it will be fine as long as the camera works correctly.

I've been a little worried about the purchase simply due to the price.  So far, nothing except the non-packing is a negative but I'm still waiting for the other (hidden) stinky shoe to drop.

What has everyone else's experience been with their bargain 5D3 purchases?

Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

couchpotato

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2012, 05:44:50 PM »
I am new to the forum but by experience usually around the 4th quarter of a year.. prices do drop.. it would not hurt to wait  :)

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2012, 08:05:05 PM »
Pathetic Packing!!  (Note attached picture.)  They shipped it in a box the exact size of the camera box.  No packing material or cushion whatsoever.
If I recall, Amazon shipped my 7D just the same.   I agree, a fragile expensive item should be well packed.

-  It appears that the camera box was opened and contents removed and then repacked. 
I admit I'm much picker than most, it is these kinds of comments that causes me to remain skeptical towards these "unbelievable" ebay deals and partly why I can't bring myself to hit the purchase button.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2012, 08:21:37 PM »
FYI - I just received a 5DIII from Beach Camera that I purchased for $2899 (thanks to a CanonRumors Forum tip) at Beach Camera's eBay store.  I'm leaving town in a couple hours so no time to test or do anything except visually inspect and post this message.

The Good
-  No funny business, calls or shipment games.  Arrived via FedEx Ground Home Delivery.
-  US Warranty Card in box with a matching serial number to the camera's bottom plate.

The Bad
Pathetic Packing!!  (Note attached picture.)  They shipped it in a box the exact size of the camera box.  No packing material or cushion whatsoever.  I have no idea how much shock/drop abuse the box received during shipment.  I can't believe a camera dealer would ship a $3000 camera with no packing to protect it.  Ridiculous!
-  It appears that the camera box was opened and contents removed and then repacked.  Not sure if it matters since everything is there and the camera appears clean but I'll find out more next week when I register the camera with Canon and test it.  Since the serial number matches the US Warranty, I assume it will be fine as long as the camera works correctly.

I've been a little worried about the purchase simply due to the price.  So far, nothing except the non-packing is a negative but I'm still waiting for the other (hidden) stinky shoe to drop.

Did Beach Camera includes a sale receipt with matching serial?

Canon will ask for the original sale receipt if camera needs a service/repair within that 1yr warranty.

Crutchfield packed my 5D III + 24-70II VERY WELL...it filled with popcorn top, bottom, side to side. I'm very happy with their service.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2012, 08:21:37 PM »

killswitch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2012, 08:37:40 PM »

The Good

The Bad

I will be getting mine this Monday, will definitely post how I fared. Do let us know if the camera functions as its supposed to. Also, I hope this batch do not have the light leak issue.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2012, 08:49:27 PM »
Sure, wait a few weeks if you must. I guess you can be pretty sure the 5D3 price will creep down all the way to the date the 5D4 ships. Somewhere over the rainbow...

In business, you buy what your business needs. For the sake of a couple of hundred dollars, why wait? I paid $3600 for my 5D3 and have no regrets or buyers-remorse. It's already earned me it's purchase price dozens of times over. Every month that goes by without your 5D3 is another month without this great camera.

-PW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2012, 08:49:27 PM »