October 31, 2014, 10:47:26 PM

Author Topic: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"  (Read 14474 times)

artsmalley

  • Guest
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2012, 08:53:48 PM »
I am seriously sitting here ready to pull the trigger and order my 5D Mark iii.  I have L glass and currently shoot with a T4i.  I do just fine with my camera and LR4, but know that the FF be a better choice, especially for my indoor event photography.  If I was ready to order this last month or the month before, i wouldn't be worried about anything, but this close to Nov, I have to wonder if I am going to be angry with myself for missing the next 2750.00 type sale.  Typically, do these sales begin early Nov or closer to black Friday/X-Mas?  If B and H only drops this camera by 100 or so, I won't care, but saving almost 800 bucks had I waited 2-3 weeks would def make me regretful.  I know it shows a 5D3 in my profile, but I had planned on having it by this week...LOL Everything else in my profile I own now.

If it helps I was in roughly the same boat (not as much L glass) with a T2i...waited and waited. Finally bought the 5D Mark III + 24-105 kit lens combo from B&H for $3749 or whatever the special was. Have not regretted it one bit even if the price drops. Kind of wish I had not waited as long as I did. Love the images I am getting. AF and low light shoot is so much better. Good luck with the decision.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2012, 08:53:48 PM »

tron

  • 1D X
  • *******
  • Posts: 1877
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2012, 10:22:36 PM »
I was waiting for my 1st DSLR. I did not want to get 5D as it was mentioned to be a dust magnet. So I photographed the 2006 total eclipse with my EOS 1n. I bought my 1st DSLR, a 40D, by the end of 2007. I wish I hadn't waited that long! When my 40D was stolen (June 2009) I bought 5DMkII with 24-105 in a week! No regrets. Last week I bought 5DMkIII to keep company to my ... lonely 5DMkII  :D . Guess: No regrets!

Imagination_landB

  • Rebel T5i
  • ****
  • Posts: 100
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2012, 11:27:04 PM »
Well I am waiting for a possible holiday deal here in canada, if it doesn't happen I will just buy the 6D then..
6D, Gripped 60D. 120-300 2.8 OS, 50 1.8, 8-16, 24-70 VC.

mb

  • Power Shot G7X
  • **
  • Posts: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2012, 04:21:20 PM »
Does by chance someone here know of a good dealer (internet or "real life") in Europe (esp. Germany)?
AFAIK it is quite complicated (tax etc.) to buy stuff in the US if you live in Europe...
Thx. :-)

killswitch

  • EOS M2
  • ****
  • Posts: 210
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2012, 11:23:56 AM »
Received my copy of the 5DIII from Beach Camera's sale that took place a couple of weeks ago. Like RustytheGeek mentioned. Everything is perfectly fine. I did some tests, it works as it should. The serial number suggests they are fresh batch and do not have the light leak issue. Comes with Sales receipt, US warranty card. The shipment arrived on time. Everything was in right order except the flimsy packaging. All in all I am happy with the service! <3

Razor2012

  • 5D Mark III
  • ******
  • Posts: 639
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2012, 12:28:26 PM »
If you want one and can afford it, go for it.  Life is too short to wait.  When I bought my 65" plasma I got the best price I could at the time.  Sure 4 years later it was $2500 cheaper but I also used and enjoyed it for that time.  It's the same philosophy some people use when they want to retire.  They scrimp and save every penny until retirement, but it's too late.  Look how much you've missed in the meantime.  You also have to live until you get to that point.  ;)
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

killswitch

  • EOS M2
  • ****
  • Posts: 210
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2012, 12:32:06 PM »
If you want one and can afford it, go for it.  Life is too short to wait.  When I bought my 65" plasma I got the best price I could at the time.  Sure 4 years later it was $2500 cheaper but I also used and enjoyed it for that time.  It's the same philosophy some people use when they want to retire.  They scrimp and save every penny until retirement, but it's too late.  Look how much you've missed in the meantime.  You also have to live until you get to that point.  ;)

+1

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2012, 12:32:06 PM »

ablearcher

  • Rebel T5i
  • ****
  • Posts: 141
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2012, 12:43:31 PM »
Prices wend down today to $3200 at all major retailers. This means we will see a lot more $2900 and less deals at ebay stores real soon. Plus the holidays are coming real soon. If you can wait a bit i would. I'm not suggesting waiting another year. Just saying prices are about to get a lot more attractive. Hopefully  ::)
Canon 7D; Canon 5D MKIII; Canon EF-S 10-22mm; Canon 50mm 1.8; Canon 28mm 1.8; Canon 85mm 1.8; Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS; Canon 135mm 2.0 L; Canon 35mm 1.4 L.

Waterdonkey

  • Rebel SL1
  • ***
  • Posts: 93
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2012, 01:02:24 PM »
Look, I got mine on preorder and paid thru the nose.... and I've loved every second of it. 
So buy it and don't look back. ;D

zim

  • 1D Mark IV
  • ******
  • Posts: 754
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2012, 02:24:26 PM »
Prices wend down today to $3200 at all major retailers. This means we will see a lot more $2900 and less deals at ebay stores real soon. Plus the holidays are coming real soon. If you can wait a bit i would. I'm not suggesting waiting another year. Just saying prices are about to get a lot more attractive. Hopefully  ::)

+1 exactly what I'm doing, but it's always been my game plan also allows me to check out the 6D

Marsu42

  • Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • *******
  • Posts: 4841
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2012, 02:30:33 PM »
Look how much you've missed in the meantime.

But that's the question: How much would you have *really* missed with a 5d2? Sure, if you do sports then it's a no-brainer, but for many other applications is hard to say - 5d2 + another $1300 L lens or a 5d3?

SJTstudios

  • EOS M2
  • ****
  • Posts: 150
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2012, 02:58:32 PM »
Wait, canon is pulling the wool over everyone's eyes. When they start producing the large megapixel ff dslr, pros will start selling 5d mark iiis cheap. Then the price will go down encouraging those who buy the 6d to move up to the 5d ii, and rebel users to get the 6d, and there will be a major price drop on the rebels, X0d's, 6d's, 7d's, and 5d mark iii. Worst case scenario, you wait and the price doesn't drop and you find a used one.

Razor2012

  • 5D Mark III
  • ******
  • Posts: 639
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2012, 03:04:07 PM »
Look how much you've missed in the meantime.

But that's the question: How much would you have *really* missed with a 5d2? Sure, if you do sports then it's a no-brainer, but for many other applications is hard to say - 5d2 + another $1300 L lens or a 5d3?

Lol you pulled one line out of my quote which was meant to be about my views on retirement.  Your question about the 5DII vs the 5DIII is a totally different ball of wax.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2012, 03:04:07 PM »

tron

  • 1D X
  • *******
  • Posts: 1877
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2012, 06:32:42 PM »
Wait, canon is pulling the wool over everyone's eyes. When they start producing the large megapixel ff dslr, pros will start selling 5d mark iiis cheap. Then the price will go down encouraging those who buy the 6d to move up to the 5d ii, and rebel users to get the 6d, and there will be a major price drop on the rebels, X0d's, 6d's, 7d's, and 5d mark iii. Worst case scenario, you wait and the price doesn't drop and you find a used one.
Sure, and when they start producing the Gigapixel SLR the 5DMkIII will be sold for 10$  ;D  ;D  ;D
Seriously now, this is just an exaggeration to point out that we can always wait for something better and miss while we wait...

SJTstudios

  • EOS M2
  • ****
  • Posts: 150
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2012, 10:52:45 AM »
Wait, canon is pulling the wool over everyone's eyes. When they start producing the large megapixel ff dslr, pros will start selling 5d mark iiis cheap. Then the price will go down encouraging those who buy the 6d to move up to the 5d ii, and rebel users to get the 6d, and there will be a major price drop on the rebels, X0d's, 6d's, 7d's, and 5d mark iii. Worst case scenario, you wait and the price doesn't drop and you find a used one.
Sure, and when they start producing the Gigapixel SLR the 5DMkIII will be sold for 10$  ;D  ;D  ;D
Seriously now, this is just an exaggeration to point out that we can always wait for something better and miss while we wait...

What I'm trying to say, is the landscap pros and other people will want the camera and forget about the 5d mark iii, It will be pushed into another niche, soros will start selling them used, and the price will go down, I bet around $2,900. If getting a 5d iii is necessary now, get it, but if it isn't, why not just wait. If I had the money, I'd buy a 5d iii right now, but I'd rather get some lenses, because my camera works, and that's all that maters to me.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2012, 10:52:45 AM »