April 18, 2014, 05:59:06 PM

Author Topic: Auto ISO and flash usage 1 D Mk 4  (Read 1023 times)

el bouv

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Auto ISO and flash usage 1 D Mk 4
« on: October 19, 2012, 06:38:24 AM »
Hi
I am currently in the African bush photographing leopards with a 1D Mk4.
Many of the shots require fill flash.
The use of a Speedlight locks the ISO at 400.
This limits exposure and shutter speed settings as you require a high shutter speed, more than 500, and depth of field, F5.6 or higher, to capture action shots.
Is there a cure for this?
The guys with the D4 Nikons have no hassles as Auto ISO stays Auto ISO, irrespective of flash usage, the flash listens to the camera and does not dictate to the camera as the Canon flash seems to be doing.
Does the 1DX support ISO for flash usage or does it also enforces ISO 400, meaning that I may have to shop on the dark side??

canon rumors FORUM

Auto ISO and flash usage 1 D Mk 4
« on: October 19, 2012, 06:38:24 AM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Auto ISO and flash usage 1 D Mk 4
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 07:23:07 AM »
Lucky you! Hope you're having a great trip.

I shoot with 1D4 and have never used auto iso. But damn, you're right. But this is scant reason to consider a switch to Nikon.
Don't sweat the small stuff. There's an extraordinarily simple work-around. Don't use auto iso.

-PW

35mm Film

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:59:39 AM »
Just ask the "dark side" or fellow hobby photographers for some tips. It's strange no one cared at university about what we used, it was all about your skill not what brand you had. Come to think of it most of my mates including my lecturer had Nikon, but not once did I hear brand bashing. The only person who cared about DSLR brands was my wife and I put that down to a girl thing. Best of luck I wish I could be there  :'(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:59:39 AM »