August 23, 2014, 11:48:02 AM

Author Topic: DxO: Current phone-cameras beat 5 yr old digital still cameras  (Read 2325 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
DxO: Current phone-cameras beat 5 yr old digital still cameras
« on: October 11, 2012, 07:48:54 AM »
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/News/DxOMark-news/Smartphones-beat-5-year-old-DSCs

Be aware that the DxO Mark Mobile score is not the same as the DxO Mark Sensor score for digital stills cameras. For example, They normally rate the Nikon D7000 as "80" but for comparing with mobiles, they rate it at 95.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: DxO: Current phone-cameras beat 5 yr old digital still cameras
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:29:34 AM »
the gap between a dslr and a mobile phone camera will decrease significantly over the next 5 years.

my new samsung galaxy iii takes great pictures ...and the video is also very good. 

Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 10:41:30 PM »
While I will agree that mobile phones are getting better and better cameras.... I take everything that DXO publishes with a grain of salt... And that is probably giving them more credit then they are worth...

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 10:48:15 PM »
DXO has zero credibility when it comes to rating cameras.  They just don't get it.

crasher8

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 11:55:41 PM »
40 (50, 60) year old film cameras take better pictures than________________.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 11:58:21 PM »
I'm still taking better and cleaner photos with my 7 year old Kodak 6MP digital point and shoot (bought at $100 during that time) than all the IPHONES and Samsungs that my friends are using.  I still can't get what DXOmark is using to test those smartphones.

Policar

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 12:19:38 AM »
I'm still taking better and cleaner photos with my 7 year old Kodak 6MP digital point and shoot (bought at $100 during that time) than all the IPHONES and Samsungs that my friends are using.  I still can't get what DXOmark is using to test those smartphones.

Neither can I, but the phone they cite as outpacing 5-year-old still cameras (and not even dSLRs) is the Nokia 808, which has a 1/1.2'' sensor, likely LARGER than the sensors on those old cameras. So that's...not very good. And if iPhones are much worse than that (the sensors are much smaller), that's really not very good.

Wild

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Born to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 12:26:20 AM »
The small camera sensor modules in phones are being upgraded all the time - at a much faster pace than dslr sensors. It's a very competitive field since a phone contract can be huge. Obviously they'll be closing the gap in quality compared to standalone cameras with comparatively less rapid improvements.  Then again, as long as phone sizes dictate smaller sensors, standalone cameras will always have certain benefits (depth of field control, handling, interchangeable lenses, etc...)

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 01:19:09 AM »
I've seen some really good images from iPhones but I'll take my 10 yr old Canon PowerShot G3 over any of them, any time. Most phone photos I've seen look like marginally better than webcam quality.

Policar

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 01:30:57 AM »
No one is reading the article. It states that the only phone camera that trumps old point and shoots is the Nokia 808, which has an enormous sensor.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 12:11:15 PM »
No one is reading the article. It states that the only phone camera that trumps old point and shoots is the Nokia 808, which has an enormous sensor.
Yes, I've read it.  But, how is the Nokia at AF, what about CA's, how fast is the shutter, and how does the onboard flash compare, what about distortion?  DXO is one dimensional.  Just like only looking at the center resolution of the 85mm f/1.8 lens and its suddenly the best.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 01:05:59 PM »
Yes, I've read it.  But, how is the Nokia at AF, what about CA's, how fast is the shutter, and how does the onboard flash compare, what about distortion?  DXO is one dimensional.  Just like only looking at the center resolution of the 85mm f/1.8 lens and its suddenly the best.

Well that's true but at least DXO is honest with it.  They only test the sensor and not the whole camera as it is.  But still, sometimes the tests are misleading.  It's like showing only one part of the whole picture.