October 31, 2014, 01:00:17 AM

Author Topic: Unreliable AF on 7D with FW 2.0.3?  (Read 17445 times)

CharlieB

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Unreliable AF on 7D with FW 2.0.3?
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2012, 11:04:53 AM »
Is the cause known?

I've read reports elsewhere that extensive AFMA settings were returned to "zero", and when reset, were off by a wide margin.  I'm clueless as to their architecture but... I've experienced the same in programming issues... compounded values etc.

The hunting part...  I didn't find a lot on the web about that, but auto-off issues, and AFMA issues... they're out there.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2012, 11:04:53 AM »

redelses

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2012, 11:23:52 AM »
since upgrading to 2.0.3 I have noticed three issues that may just be coincidence (or that I am now noticing them now that others are seeing/reporting these similar issues) - 1) I have the same focus issues, where it appears to focus lock but the image comes out way out of focus; 2)  suddenly started getting the "error 30" or in some cases the camera just goes blank without any errors, after which I have to pull the battery to get the camera to come back to life; and 3) the LCD and power timeouts are not consistently working (LCD is staying on until I take the next picture, which may be minutes in some cases).  The error 30 is most concerning to me right now, but wanted to see if any others are getting this only after upgrading to the newest firmware?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:25:44 AM by redelses »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2012, 11:57:20 AM »
since upgrading to 2.0.3 I have noticed three issues that may just be coincidence (or that I am now noticing them now that others are seeing/reporting these similar issues) - 1) I have the same focus issues, where it appears to focus lock but the image comes out way out of focus; 2)  suddenly started getting the "error 30" or in some cases the camera just goes blank without any errors, after which I have to pull the battery to get the camera to come back to life; and 3) the LCD and power timeouts are not consistently working (LCD is staying on until I take the next picture, which may be minutes in some cases).  The error 30 is most concerning to me right now, but wanted to see if any others are getting this only after upgrading to the newest firmware?

Error 30 indicates a problem with the shutter. Do you think your camera might have enough actuations on it to start causing problems with the shutter? The lifetime ratings are really only an estimate, and the shutter can indeed go a lot earlier than its rated lifetime, or if you take a lot of photos and have owned the camera for several years, you might just be out of life. I figure I've had about 35,000, maybe 40,000 shutter actuations on my 7D in the last 10 months. The shutter is rated to 150,000 actuations, so someone who has owned their 7D for longer and takes enough photographs could indeed be reaching the end of their shutter lifetime.

carlc

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2012, 12:28:23 PM »
Third reply to this topic:  The more I mess with this issue and read  other posts, I am becoming more convinced the FW 2.0.3 update changed something in the power management of the 7D or at a minimum the battery  level indicator was affected in away that shows some charge (in my case 2 bars) when in fact the battery was nearly completely drained.

I usually change out my batteries often, but when this issue surfaced last week, I was on a shoot and my kit was in the car (about a mile away, my bad) and I kept shooting and this focus issue and focus confirmation appeared.

I will call the Canon Tech on Monday and report back his feelings.  I have only called once and the gentleman I got was excellent.

Lesson learned.  Change battery often and carry a spar in your pocket.

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2012, 03:54:23 PM »
Third reply to this topic:  The more I mess with this issue and read  other posts, I am becoming more convinced the FW 2.0.3 update changed something in the power management of the 7D or at a minimum the battery  level indicator was affected in away that shows some charge (in my case 2 bars) when in fact the battery was nearly completely drained.

I usually change out my batteries often, but when this issue surfaced last week, I was on a shoot and my kit was in the car (about a mile away, my bad) and I kept shooting and this focus issue and focus confirmation appeared.

I will call the Canon Tech on Monday and report back his feelings.  I have only called once and the gentleman I got was excellent.

Lesson learned.  Change battery often and carry a spar in your pocket.

I have to concur about the battery charge thing. I use a battery grip, and with both batteries in earlier today, the charge readout showed 1 bar. I removed one of the batteries, and the charge readout for the remaining one jumped to full bars. I swapped batteries, same thing. I put both in again, one bar. As it turned out, both batteries were pretty low. One had only one blink on the Canon charger, the other got two blinks, but neither were anywhere close to full.

redelses

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2012, 07:27:56 PM »

Error 30 indicates a problem with the shutter. Do you think your camera might have enough actuations on it to start causing problems with the shutter? The lifetime ratings are really only an estimate, and the shutter can indeed go a lot earlier than its rated lifetime, or if you take a lot of photos and have owned the camera for several years, you might just be out of life. I figure I've had about 35,000, maybe 40,000 shutter actuations on my 7D in the last 10 months. The shutter is rated to 150,000 actuations, so someone who has owned their 7D for longer and takes enough photographs could indeed be reaching the end of their shutter lifetime.

I only have ~9,000 actuations on this 7d, and the error only started showing up the day after upgrading the firmware while using live view. It seems early to be having shutter problems, and with the camera about 16 months young, it's out of warranty at this point. I was planning to ship it in for review and repair if needed, but was waiting to see what resolved from the other issues that a number of others are having first. Fortunately it has come back to life every time I remove/reinsert the battery.

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 08:38:49 PM »

I only have ~9,000 actuations on this 7d, and the error only started showing up the day after upgrading the firmware while using live view. It seems early to be having shutter problems, and with the camera about 16 months young, it's out of warranty at this point. I was planning to ship it in for review and repair if needed, but was waiting to see what resolved from the other issues that a number of others are having first. Fortunately it has come back to life every time I remove/reinsert the battery.

Just out of curiosity, did you follow the firmware upgrade procedure to the letter? I did a fair bit of research prior to upgrading my 7D. I actually skipped the first couple of releases, and installed 2.0.3 directly without any intermediate upgrades based on some reports of upgrade difficulty. It also seemed that following the upgrade procedure (whichever one you chose to follow) EXPLICITLY and EXACTLY is pretty important to the upgrade going well.

I did some experimentation today when the sun came out (something that hasn't been too frequent lately around here). AF performance (with some fully charged batteries) was quite a bit better with the sun out. It hunted twice, but I think that may have simply been due to the fact that I did not have my Spot AF point EXACTLY on my subject. When I switched to expansion or zone AF, AF performance was pretty snappy. I can't say for sure if it is exactly as fast as it was before, but I primarily use an f/5.6 lens (100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 @ 400mm) so its not like I'm working with a lot of light in the first place.

I think the primary issue with 2.0.3 is the battery and sleep/power issue. Those issues may even be the cause of AF issues. They may all be related to the same thing, whatever it is. But my camera definitely does not seem to auto-power off the same way it did before. I also believe my battery reporting is definitely off. I've charged and drained batteries twice now, and there are inconsistencies when using either a single battery, or batteries in a grip. My LCD always seems to show the metering mode, aperture, and AF/frame rate settings.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 08:38:49 PM »

Scratchen

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2012, 06:59:24 AM »

I've read about this on swedish forums as well.. People with almost brand new 7D's that got the Error 30 after updating to 2.0.3.

Something is really messed up with this firmware release!

Chris_prophotographic

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2012, 04:15:36 AM »
I have to agree im happy with older firmware, Backdate its easy enough!
1D X, 7D, 70-200mm MK II, 24 L MK II, 35 L, 10-22, 40mm,  Samyang 8mm, 50 1.8 mk II, PW II's
PW III's , MultiMax's, TT5's 580 II's, SB-28's

Scratchen

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2012, 03:29:48 PM »
How do I downgrade my firmware?
I'm on OS X 10.8.1.

Chris_prophotographic

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2012, 06:06:33 PM »
Short answer I got and old FIRM WARE as it was being loaded i  renamed it/replaced the one about to be LOADED with the OLD one(one your happy with)

I searched online got my old firm ware renamed it to a current one say 2.0.0.fir its sucks it up
loaded it with EOS-UTIL then on the 7D it says upgrade 2.0.0 with 1.23 FIR and Voila!
1D X, 7D, 70-200mm MK II, 24 L MK II, 35 L, 10-22, 40mm,  Samyang 8mm, 50 1.8 mk II, PW II's

Chris_prophotographic

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »
Man it really disgusts me when HIGH end GEAR gets worse with supposed UPGRADES

Chris_prophotographic

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2012, 06:08:55 PM »
And there must be a forum topic on what i just yammered about

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2012, 06:08:55 PM »

michi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2012, 07:22:10 PM »
I hardly use Live View on my 7D, but yesterday when I was trying to focus on something, Live View hunted for a abnormally long time.  I thought it was a fluke, could it have something to do with this?  Everything else seems to work fine though.

DianeK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2012, 08:02:04 PM »
Imagine this marketing meeting at Canon: Q:"how do we get our current satisfied 7D owners to open up their wallets for a new 7DII in 2013?"  A: "let's release a firmware upgrade that breaks their current cameras." Many high-fives ensue and a bright spark gets a promotion.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2012, 08:02:04 PM »