November 17, 2017, 12:50:51 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III [CR1]  (Read 67483 times)

WarStreet

Re: 5D Mark III [CR1]
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2011, 01:07:45 PM »
I for one have never seen burst rates as anything important, to me it's another toy to play with when I'm bored. So I much prefer a bigger MP and would happily live with the consequences.

I speak as a died in the wool motorsports photographer as well as a landscapist. I much prefer to shoot in one-shot mode and use my understanding of the particular sport to guide me in my taking a shot. I'm firmly of the opinion that no matter how fast the bust-rate is, its always going to miss that "peak action" moment. I've read  books and articles written by well respected motorsport 'togs and in ever case they have taken a similar view.

I am starting out in sports photography, and at the moment I am doing very well in rugby with just a 500D. I am doing this for fun not for money, but still my aim is to get the best results even though I am competing against 1D and D3s pro users. I manage to do so by dedicating more time, both in the pitch and outside.

This means that the 3.4 fps and 'slow AF' of my camera can still deliver good results. But I think that for rugby, and other similar sports, better FPS and AF will improve the odds of getting a better picture. In F1, you might need to get a shot of the car in a particular spot, and timing might be more important than FPS, but unexpected expressions of faces and body positions in rugby will definitely benefit from more FPS. I can't time up to take a singe shot of a player punching an opponent  :)

If we consider an older rumor of a 4.9fps for the 5DIII, this will give about 25% improvement from the current 5DII 3.9 FPS and I will have 25% more photos to choice from for any particular action. 4.9 FPS might not sound alot, but the 25% extra photos, is a good improvement, and I will just say thanks and won't whine since I know this camera it's not a 1D, but I won't be happy with a 4.2 fps !!!

My only hope, is the pressure Sony is doing on Canon, with their cheap entry level cameras with 7 and 10 fps. I  hope that when the A77 is released, it will be a big success, resulting in Canon big heads getting scared from Sony's A850/A900 replacement and release a 5DIII with better specs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2011, 01:07:45 PM »

DuLt

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2011, 02:01:17 PM »
I for one have never seen burst rates as anything important, to me it's another toy to play with when I'm bored. So I much prefer a bigger MP and would happily live with the consequences.

I speak as a died in the wool motorsports photographer as well as a landscapist. I much prefer to shoot in one-shot mode and use my understanding of the particular sport to guide me in my taking a shot. I'm firmly of the opinion that no matter how fast the bust-rate is, its always going to miss that "peak action" moment. I've read  books and articles written by well respected motorsport 'togs and in ever case they have taken a similar view.

I am starting out in sports photography, and at the moment I am doing very well in rugby with just a 500D. I am doing this for fun not for money, but still my aim is to get the best results even though I am competing against 1D and D3s pro users. I manage to do so by dedicating more time, both in the pitch and outside.

This means that the 3.4 fps and 'slow AF' of my camera can still deliver good results. But I think that for rugby, and other similar sports, better FPS and AF will improve the odds of getting a better picture. In F1, you might need to get a shot of the car in a particular spot, and timing might be more important than FPS, but unexpected expressions of faces and body positions in rugby will definitely benefit from more FPS. I can't time up to take a singe shot of a player punching an opponent  :)

If we consider an older rumor of a 4.9fps for the 5DIII, this will give about 25% improvement from the current 5DII 3.9 FPS and I will have 25% more photos to choice from for any particular action. 4.9 FPS might not sound alot, but the 25% extra photos, is a good improvement, and I will just say thanks and won't whine since I know this camera it's not a 1D, but I won't be happy with a 4.2 fps !!!

My only hope, is the pressure Sony is doing on Canon, with their cheap entry level cameras with 7 and 10 fps. I  hope that when the A77 is released, it will be a big success, resulting in Canon big heads getting scared from Sony's A850/A900 replacement and release a 5DIII with better specs.

Are you a user that, like myself, would like to see canon dabble in the pellicle range with their cheap slr's?

epsiloneri

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2011, 02:33:52 PM »
If the pixel count followed Morse's law (like storage does), the 5D3 would have been 80MP.

I believe you meant Moore's Law, which refers to the number of transistors on an integrated circuit (which double every two years), not storage.

Yes, sorry, I misspelled. Hard disk space are following Moore's law quite accurately, however, see figure:

The line fit of this graph is closer to doubling the capacity every 16 months (rather than 2 years), so a quadrupling of capacity in 4 years is not far off. Absolute MP count lag behind, in contrast. The number of MP per $ is probably a better fit.

WarStreet

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2011, 02:55:46 PM »
Are you a user that, like myself, would like to see canon dabble in the pellicle range with their cheap slr's?

I think that current technology is good enough to deliver the fps needed for cheap slr's. I expect higher fps on the more expensive models. I think, currently traditional slr's is the way to go. Maybe in the future, Sony will manage to improve the SLT technology beating traditional slr's but they might fail too, so we have to wait and see.

alipaulphotography

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2011, 03:36:32 PM »

5D series is not designed for sports or speed. Get a 7D - Much better for your needs. Cropped sensor for more distance, better autofocus for tracking moving subjects and 8fps. 18mp on a cropped sensor crops well too for post process cropping.

5D is a portrait/landscape/wedding camera. It should excel at what it is meant for - not please everyone.

asu

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2011, 04:20:54 PM »
please canon make some genius upgrade, I hope 30+MP are coming with better DR and Noise...
I dont nead unuseable noise n color from iso 12800++ all I need is iso 6400 with useable picture quality...
and make serious upgrade in AF system...
 8)

hambergler

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2011, 05:43:25 PM »

5D series is not designed for sports or speed. Get a 7D - Much better for your needs. Cropped sensor for more distance, better autofocus for tracking moving subjects and 8fps. 18mp on a cropped sensor crops well too for post process cropping.

5D is a portrait/landscape/wedding camera. It should excel at what it is meant for - not please everyone.

I don't see why they couldn't do a crop mode like Nikons though

less MP, add crop factor which in turn would yield more fps and range with some sacrifice to MP and give us the best of both worlds
5DIII | 5DIV | 24-70 II| 50 1.4| 70-200 2.8 IS II| 100L macro|600 EX-RTx4| EF 2.0X III | EF 1.4X III

Next up 85 1.4L or sigma 85 art

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2011, 05:43:25 PM »

abarraga

Re: 5% off
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2011, 05:56:47 PM »
Sort of related to this posting:

I went to Fry's Electronics (to shop around) and there was a fully functioning demo version of the 5DMKII with the 24-105mm f/4L IS.  It was no surprise they did not have the body in stock, but I was offered 5% off the demo kit.

Knowing that the MK III will inevitably come (and my desire to upgrade to a full frame), should I have taken this offer?

5% off isn't really much of a deal.

I would take it from a new in box item... if I was in the market. I don't think it is enough of a discount on an open item.

I thought so.  Thank you danski0224.

WarStreet

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2011, 06:23:17 PM »

Yes it's true, that's why I don't expect more than 5 fps on this camera, and did mention that I will be happy with this and won't whine. If I am doing well with a 500D, the 5DIII should be better.

I would like to get FF since I need to blur the background as much as possible. I would need low noise capability too for indoor sports and high resolving power since cropping in sports is needed while still being able to print. I use center point AF with servo and a very good number of the photos I take has good focus. The center point AF of the 5DII is better than my 500D and it's even better than the 7D, and the new 5DIII might get an improved AF too.

My current 3.4 fps just limits the pool of photos from which I can choice, but I prefer to have low fps and good image quality in low light sports, better background blurring, and higher res rather more photos all with lower quality.

I use the camera for other usage, not just for sports, and I carry it with me all the time. So a small, well priced all rounder 5DIII will for sure please me. As you said, I will miss the reach of APS-C, and I will need some bigger lenses (ouch!) I might crop a bit more too since the current 5DII has about 25% - 50% more resolving power than my 500D (from DXO)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:27:58 PM by WarStreet »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • EOS 5DS R
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2011, 08:25:24 PM »
I noticed that there is apparently a new supply of 35mm L filters, prices have dropped apparently due to the increased supply.  Some stores were asking over $1600, and some as much as $1999 for them, but now we are seeing Amazon's price at $1480, which is somewhat nearer to pre-earthquake prices. I paid $1397 for mine last July, plus I received some rebates which dropped the price another $150.

It does seem that, as lens stocks appear, prices are dropping to their normal level, which is increasing year by year.  We will never see 2008 prices again, I could have bought a new 300mm f/2.8 IS in Canada when the exchange rate favored US dollars!

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2011, 10:17:53 PM »
Anyone that thinks that lenses will become cheaper over time has not being paying any attention to Canon lens prices over the last 2 years

Check out an interesting story on canonpricewatch.com (http://www.canonpricewatch.com/canon-lenses-better-stocks/) It is from back in April, but it's still pretty interesting. Basically, they've tracked lens price increases and show that lenses are "outperforming" the stock market.

Whether or not the trend will continue, who knows? But it is a fun read.

davebean

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2011, 10:08:35 AM »
No dual card slots?!??!!?  Even Nikon's prosumer models are coming out with dual card slots.  I'm assuming that the AF will be fixed and the ISO will improve, that's a given.  However, for the "once-in-a-lifetime" weddings, I need dual card slots!!!

I'm afraid that, if the 5Dm3 doesn't come with dual slots, that would be the deal-breaker for me, I'm switching to Nikon.

traveller

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2011, 10:32:32 AM »
No dual card slots?!??!!?  Even Nikon's prosumer models are coming out with dual card slots.  I'm assuming that the AF will be fixed and the ISO will improve, that's a given.  However, for the "once-in-a-lifetime" weddings, I need dual card slots!!!

I'm afraid that, if the 5Dm3 doesn't come with dual slots, that would be the deal-breaker for me, I'm switching to Nikon.

If you're a pro with a good selection of Canon glass, wouldn't switching to a 1Ds series camera be a whole lot cheaper? What do you do at the moment?!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2011, 10:32:32 AM »

UncleFester

« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2011, 02:42:57 AM »
Autofocus right now is the 5D Mark II's biggest problem.  Without this fixed the Mark III will be only marginally better no matter how many mega pixels it has. 

The shots that have gone soft, especially on teles, may be inherent of full frames, though, and probably not easy to correct because of moving subject out of DOF faster than the camera can lock on. Which would wouldn't take much given it's shallowness. Still unacceptable to release a body w/o this problem addressed.

Also, the autofocus just not hunting at all -no red light- which I'm sure we've all experienced. One review I read the user describing this phenomena as the auto focus "...just giving up".

This makes the 5D II somewhat undependable, imo, and can only be classified as still a prototype and not completely reliable as a prosumer level full-frame. Especially at it's current price tag.

Fix this one problem and the current 5D becomes a different animal entirely.   

J-Man

« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2011, 03:20:15 AM »
I would like to see them ditch the mirror all together, and move the Phase Detection onto the imaging sensor so that you have both Phase and Contrast Detection working together, you would gain the speed of Phase Detection and accuracy of the Contrast Detection, there are already patents for this out there.(IIRC Fuji & Samsung)

I want a 1DS the same size of a 5D, call it a 3D/1VD/5DIII/Skippy... I don't care I just want it.

For those that want insanely high pixel counts for landscapes but don't want or can't afford MF, there is a thing called the "Gigapan" look into it. :)
http://www.gigapansystems.com/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2011, 03:20:15 AM »