Gear Talk > Reviews

Review - Canon EF 8-15 f/4L Fisheye

<< < (2/6) > >>

TexPhoto:
The first image in the article is almost certainly shot at 10mm and labeled as 8mm.

I love this lens, and have always loved fisheye.  I find the circular fisheye much less useful, but still cool.  Full faram fisheye on my 5DIII AND my 7D? AND my 1D Mark IV?  Awsome.

A couple tips: 1. It's still full frame on a FF, at about 14mm, and even wider.
2. When shooting circular, I zoom to about 8.5-9mm so I don't have black borders on top and bottom, then I crop to circle in photoshop.  This has more "perfect" circular edges and gets you more verticle (and horizontal) pixels that are not just black.
3. Crop circular images to square, and more web services (flickr etc) will display them significantly larger..

REX_9674 by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

Untitled by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

Untitled by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

IMG_5331 by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

robbymack:

--- Quote from: digitalz on October 13, 2012, 11:06:49 PM ---This fisheye is awesome!

--- End quote ---

There is good and bad fisheye, this is an example of the former. Awesome!

nightbreath:

--- Quote ---Pictured below is the National Gallery of Canada, and zoomed in you can also see Parliament Hill, the US Consulate, and Notre Dame Cathedral Basilica.
--- End quote ---
I don't see the image.

Pag:
Samyang has a much cheaper fish eye for crop sensors that's a lot of fun to play with. It's fully manual, but it's not exactly hard to focus a lens with that kind of DOF.

TrumpetPower!:

--- Quote from: Pag on October 15, 2012, 06:30:07 PM ---Samyang has a much cheaper fish eye for crop sensors that's a lot of fun to play with. It's fully manual, but it's not exactly hard to focus a lens with that kind of DOF.

--- End quote ---

There're lots of fisheye options out there. What sets this one apart is that it's a full-frame zoom that ranges from 180° full-hemisphere coverage to the standard 180° diagonal coverage. And, of course, that it's a Canon L lens.

If you were wanting both an 8 mm and a 15 mm fisheye lens for full frame, then your only other option at B&H would be the pair of Sigmas. The Sigma 8mm is $900, and the Sigma 15mm is $600...for a combined price of $150 more than the Canon zoom.

Of course, if you were only looking for the one or the other focal length, you could save quite a bit of money by just getting that one -- and there're a lot of inexpensive options for APS-C cameras, as well (including a bunch of ~$300 8mm f/3.5 lenses and a $700 Tokina 10-17 zoom).

b&

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version