September 30, 2014, 06:20:56 PM

Author Topic: B&H Issues!!!  (Read 7565 times)

Kliphten

B&H Issues!!!
« on: October 12, 2012, 02:55:29 PM »
So I ordered a 70-200mm lens from B&H yesterday with next day air.  They told me it was shipped and that it would be here today.  UPS has tracking info but they say they have never received the package to ship.  Contacted B&H twice today and they said it would be here and that the package shipped!

Has anyone ever had a problem like this?  B&H even told me they called UPS to confirm that they have the package and are shipping it!

canon rumors FORUM

B&H Issues!!!
« on: October 12, 2012, 02:55:29 PM »

2n10

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: B&H Issues!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 03:51:38 PM »
Most likely UPS misplaced it in their system.  This has happened to me recently with ground packages.  I am surprised on a NDA package though.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

Kliphten

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 04:02:46 PM »
Well when I contacted UPS, they said they never received the package from B&H.  But if they did and they did misplace it, I'm not sure why B&H told me that they contacted UPS and confirmed it would be delivered today!

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 04:11:23 PM »
Well when I contacted UPS, they said they never received the package from B&H.  But if they did and they did misplace it, I'm not sure why B&H told me that they contacted UPS and confirmed it would be delivered today!

If you dont receive the lens by today, then ask BH for refund on shipping.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Kliphten

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 04:17:09 PM »
Definitely will but the bigger concern is that they seemed to have lied.  If they didn't send the package, then they should have told me.  If they did, then they shouldn't have told me they contacted UPS to confirm because when I did, UPS told me they never received the package.  Rep at B&H said UPS confirmed it would be delivered today!

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

JaxPhotographer

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 04:32:17 PM »
I have used B&H for a few years and never had any problem with their shipping or accuracy of information. More frequently I have seen the UPS Tracking system miss reporting stages of progress on a shipment. That being said, try and stay calm and diligent with this one. Once it becomes clear where the "problem" is, you can seek resolution with either B&H or UPS.

Hopefully neither is necessary and it shows up as scheduled. :)
5DMKIII | 7D | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-105L f4 | 70-200L f/2.8 IS I&II | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.2 II |1.4x & 2x Ext | 100mm f/2.8L IS | MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite | 2x600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | 430EX Speedlite | Sekonic L-758DR | Induro CT314 Tripod | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 dp  |

Kliphten

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 04:41:10 PM »
Well, hopefully it shows up today but it definitely didn't show up as scheduled, which was 10:30a this morning.  I don't mind too much other than I'm not getting any straight information (it seems) from either B&H or UPS which is what really frustrates me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 04:41:10 PM »

CharlieB

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 04:54:22 PM »
When you ship vast quantities by UPS, the tracking number and label are generated at the shipper's end - but go into the UPS computers from there, without UPS actually having gotten the package.  When UPS does its scheduled pickup, each box is scanned into the UPS system, and from there its forwarded to its destination.

Realize that they COULD be a whole day between shipping entry and UPS getting from B&H.  Once its in UPS hands, the "next day" takes place.  Thats why there is usually a disclaimer about "orders placed by 1pm will be shipped the same day" (or other qualifying disclaimer).

So... if you called after their cutoff time, the order may be IN the system, but the box might not be there yet.

I go thru this daily in our industry (non - photo related)

Kliphten

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 04:57:17 PM »
Yeah, I understand that but I placed my order at around 9/10a EST.  Everyone I have talked to their has confirmed that it has been shipped.  Now my understanding is that I should have received it by 10:30a but still have not.  Contacting UPS, they told me they didn't even have the package!  So that is where the frustration sets in.

unadog

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 05:04:38 PM »
I shipped 2 packages overnight by Airborne a few years ago from our business, to 2 separate businesses..

The next day they weren't there.  I had my secretary call Airborne, they gave her the names of the people who had signed for the packages, and the times that they had signed - from Airborne.

The next day, the packages actually **did** arrive - 1 day late!  Where in the h* Airborne got those false names and delivery information I have no idea.

Once it is there, you should be able to see the whole history in the UPS system. That should help clarify what **really** happened.

Both companies are legit. Either could be mistaken. Exactly how remains to be seen.

Good luck!

curtisnull

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 05:05:28 PM »
When I bought my 300mm f2.8L IS II from B&H back in July, I got next day air UPS. When a tracking number hadn't shown up by evening, I called B&H and they admitted that they had for some unknown reason failed to ship it. Without asking, they immediately refunded my money for shipping and sent it out next day air. Out of the 26 orders I have made with B&H this year, this was the only one that they screwed up on.
1Dx••5D3••300/2.8L IS II••135/2L••100/2.8L IS Macro••24/1.4L II••70-200/2.8L IS II••24-70/2.8L II••17-40/4 L••600EX-RT••lots more Canon stuff.

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 05:11:36 PM »
certainly sorry you didn't get your new toy today, and will likely have to wait till the next ups delivery day which is monday.  Shipping issues do happen from time to time, I am sure you can understand that.  I, however, wouldn't get too upset, the good people at BH will make it right. 

justsomedude

• 7D
  • 5D3, 6D and 7D2
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 05:29:10 PM »
When you ship vast quantities by UPS, the tracking number and label are generated at the shipper's end - but go into the UPS computers from there, without UPS actually having gotten the package.  When UPS does its scheduled pickup, each box is scanned into the UPS system, and from there its forwarded to its destination.

Actually, this isn't entirely correct.  When you check a tracking number from a shipper, it usually states something vague before UPS actually picks it up.  I often see something along the lines of "shipping information received" when I check the tracking status on orders from Amazon.com, and other mass UPS shippers.

Only when UPS actually has the item in hand does the status get updated to something like "origin scan" or "arrival at sort facility".  Once those status tags have been added, you know that the package is indeed under UPS control.  If it still states "shipping information received," you may have cause for concern.  That means UPS never scanned the label.

But as others have posted, this may not be B&H's fault.  With many people moving to online ordering, outfits like FedEx and UPS are getting hammered.  I've often times seen my "estimated delivery date" pushed back or delayed a day or two.  It's not often, but I'd say for every 50 orders it happens once or twice.  That's just part of mail order these days; sometimes things just get lost in the sort.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 05:29:10 PM »

Kliphten

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 05:46:58 PM »
Thanks for all of your input!  Totally appreciated.

One question though, is why would B&H tell me they contacted UPS and say that UPS confirmed it would be shipped today?  When I contacted UPS, they said they couldn't confirm they even had the package?  Are there some levels within UPS that have access to info that others don't?  I've saved the transcript from B&H and have re-read it over and over and that's what the rep said.

Kliphten

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 05:49:41 PM »
Here is part of the chat transcript with B&H:

CF: When I placed the order I was told it would be shipped immediately and would be here by today.
SR: According to UPS the package will be delivered today.
CF: Do you have a time?
CF: The tracking info I have has no info.
SR: The package should be delivered anytime soon, Please let us know when it was delivered so that we can file a claim with UPS
CF: Okay, will do. How come you said it would be delivered on Monday?
CF: But now it will be delivered soon?
SR: Because at first I thought since it was shipped late last night they didn't process it, but then i contacted them and they confirmed that it was processed and will be delivered today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 05:49:41 PM »