August 22, 2014, 11:42:40 PM

Author Topic: 5D III, or 6D+7D combo - your thoughts?  (Read 9874 times)

chasn

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: 5D III, or 6D+7D combo - your thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2012, 04:43:09 PM »
Uk wise a 7D and a 5D2 is pretty much the price of a 5D3. I would like a 5 D3 and will get one in due course but to give up the 7D even if only to keep the fps is not for me -  here is a Wiggins shot   to my mind impossible at 6 fps - he came round the corner very fast....

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2012, 05:26:32 PM »
Not sure if anyone else has said it, but the "reach" of the 7d vs a 5d3 is BS. Crop into the 5d3 frame and it will still be sharper than the 7d. I did lots of testing myself to confirm this. The only time I touch my 7d is as a backup. Go for that glorious 5d3 and you will love it.

based on your suggestion, i wonder:

1. why buy telephoto while i can crop, and
2. should i sell my 5d iii to buy nikon d800 since its sharpness will maintains much better than 5d iii after cropping due to its resolution...

:) yes, i still have my 7d (will keep it as back up) and 30d (will keep it for experiment purposes).  everyone has his/her own philosophy about utilizing his/her camera right?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:37:17 PM by ishdakuteb »

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 03:14:43 AM »
Not sure if anyone else has said it, but the "reach" of the 7d vs a 5d3 is BS. Crop into the 5d3 frame and it will still be sharper than the 7d. I did lots of testing myself to confirm this. The only time I touch my 7d is as a backup. Go for that glorious 5d3 and you will love it.

based on your suggestion, i wonder:

1. why buy telephoto while i can crop, and
2. should i sell my 5d iii to buy nikon d800 since its sharpness will maintains much better than 5d iii after cropping due to its resolution...

:) yes, i still have my 7d (will keep it as back up) and 30d (will keep it for experiment purposes).  everyone has his/her own philosophy about utilizing his/her camera right?

Huh? I assume you are being sarcastic? Longer lenses are always better than cropping. Unless, of course, the lens is just really really bad.

For any given lens, a 5d3 gives such a better image than a 7d that even with it cropped down to the same field of view as the 7d, then unscaled to 18mp, it can look just as good, if not better than the 7d.

And no, I don't think the d800 would be nearly as good. Canon lenses are awesome.  :) :D ;D
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 05:59:17 AM »
Huh? I assume you are being sarcastic? Longer lenses are always better than cropping. Unless, of course, the lens is just really really bad.

For any given lens, a 5d3 gives such a better image than a 7d that even with it cropped down to the same field of view as the 7d, then unscaled to 18mp, it can look just as good, if not better than the 7d.

And no, I don't think the d800 would be nearly as good. Canon lenses are awesome.  :) :D ;D

nah... i am just joking around :)  and will not sell my 5d iii and buy d800 since i am still loving all my canon gears...

SJTstudios

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2012, 12:02:37 PM »
Get the 6d, for sports you always need a second body for photos, and the 6d won't hinder your abilities. If you stick the 70-200 on your 7d, and  the 85 on your 6d, you will be set. 4.5 is decent for ff, since I know a lot of other pros who shot sports with a 5d ii. But the 8fps is needed for some situations, and the 5d iii isn't designated for sports, it's a studio camera, with some fps versatility.

Richard8971

• 7D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2012, 01:28:07 AM »
This is the same 'ole "My item is better than your item" for this blah, blah, blah, reason.

The 7D is one hell of an amazing camera, as is the 5D2/3. I LOVE my 7D and my 5D2. Each camera body offers something that the other cannot. OK, answer me this, I hear 5D2 (or 6D) this... and 5D3 that... so why hasn't anyone here suggest the 1DX??? (Isn't it superior to the 7D???)

Oh, that's right, the PRICE RANGE (close to what 7 grand for the 1DX? ouch) ... duh, I forgot about that. At about $1400.00 (give or take a few bucks) right now the 7D is an amazing value for what it gives you. The images it takes are amazing and very crisp. The camera is blazing fast (for the money) and I couldn't be happier with it. Do I own a 5D3? No, and I prolly won't for the price (right now). I have friends who use it and it offers the same thing the 5D2 offers. It just does it a little faster. (Yes, yes and a few more features, oh...like those found in the 7D!) :) I will keep my 5D2 and 7D. :)

Readers... do yourself a favor. Buy what you can AFFORD for the FEATURES/SPEED you want (and more importantly need) and learn your equipment well. Look, I can go back to images I caught with my Rebel XTi and they are fantastic!!! I mean that, they are super shots! Sad to say that money is a limiting factor to our purchases, but then again, that is the PRIMARY reason why Canon offers so many cameras for us to choose from. There is simply no ONE camera for everyone. :)

D

This is kind of like someone suggesting that everyone should drive a Corvette and anything less is crap. Give me a break...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 01:36:23 AM by Richard8971 »
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

Richard8971

• 7D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2012, 01:39:53 AM »
Uk wise a 7D and a 5D2 is pretty much the price of a 5D3. I would like a 5 D3 and will get one in due course but to give up the 7D even if only to keep the fps is not for me -  here is a Wiggins shot   to my mind impossible at 6 fps - he came round the corner very fast....

Nice shot, BTW...

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 12:28:40 PM »
I would not go with the 6d. It just really lacks as a pro body. The 5D mark III will easily replace your 7D with almost as fast frame rate, better DR, better low light, FF, dual card slots, and better focusing. I don't think the 6D focusing system will serve you. There are some reviews of the 7D & 5D mk iii vs some nikon cameras as well as a preview of the 6D of why I don't think the camera will serve you best if you want to take a look: http://www.youtube.com/user/learningcameras

I'd go with the 5D mark III...wait for a deal to get it around $3000 though.