October 02, 2014, 11:07:26 AM

Author Topic: Just got my new 24-70 ii and it is so nice how is everyone else liking it?  (Read 7936 times)

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
I am on my way to completing my 2.8 zooms. Just think it is so sharp and I love the way the hood locks on like the 70-200 ii. I had to part with my 24-105 but feel it will be worth it during low light shots. Plus it seems sharp wide open. Just need to learn to live without IS. Anyone else just as happy?
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
It sounds like it will be a very good lens.  Some are reporting issues at the long end, so I'd check that out.
I'm waiting for the eventual price drop to decide if I'll get one.  By then,there will be a lot of feedback from users.

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile
It sounds like it will be a very good lens.  Some are reporting issues at the long end, so I'd check that out.
I'm waiting for the eventual price drop to decide if I'll get one.  By then,there will be a lot of feedback from users.

What issues?
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile

What issues?
Softness, particularly at the edges and 70mm. 
Two pretty respected reviewers have seen this.  There have been some that claim to have seen the issue in poosts on this forum, but I tend to look to experienced testers with a good track record of spotting issues.
  It is undoubtedly a fantastic lens, and there may be some samples with issues, which is why I'm waiting for more reviews to come in.  I've had 5 of the old version and they were not impressive.  I have high hopes for this one.

Let us know what you see.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24-70mm-f-2.8-L-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/773-canon2470f28mk2ff?start=2

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile

What issues?
Two pretty respected reviewers have seen this.  There have been some that claim to have seen the issue in poosts on this forum, but I tend to look to experienced testers with a good track record of spotting issues.
  It is undoubtedly a fantastic lens, and there may be some samples with issues, which is why I'm waiting for more reviews to come in.  I've had 5 of the old version and they were not impressive.  I have high hopes for this one.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24-70mm-f-2.8-L-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Yeah that sounds the case but I feel it's much better than the 24-105 and if I go professional I could always get another copy later if that's the case. Either way after selling the old lens it cost me an additional $1,400 and I figured I could use it for the holidays so not sure how much waiting I could endure. I hope I made a wise investment. Let me know if you get one. How could I check if my copy was soft?

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile

What issues?

Yeah that sounds the case but I feel it's much better than the 24-105 and if I go professional I could always get another copy later if that's the case. Either way after selling the old lens it cost me an additional $1,400 and I figured I could use it for the holidays so not sure how much waiting I could endure. I hope I made a wise investment. Let me know if you get one. How could I check if my copy was soft?

I have 4 friends(pro-wedding), all their 24-70 II are sharp end to end. My is sharp even before AFMA.

Do you use Reiken FoCal? I ran my 5D III with 24-70 II through FoCal, results I got from the software are -5 @ 24mm and +1 @ 70mm.

If not, you can always try to compare Live View Focus Vs regular focus.

Enjoy your new lens ;)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile

What issues?

I have 4 friends(pro-wedding), all their 24-70 II are sharp end to end. My is sharp even before AFMA.

Do you use Reiken FoCal? I ran my 5D III with 24-70 II through FoCal, results I got from the software are -5 @ 24mm and +1 @ 70mm.

Enjoy your new lens ;)

I think I will get that. @ questions would you recommend plus or pro and is there a way to calibrate without a tripod. I do not have one?

canon rumors FORUM

Radiating

• 7D
    • View Profile

What issues?

Just thought I'd clear things up.

Just an FYI I compared 4 different copies of the 24-70mm II to the 24-105mm (which is a consistent lens). When averaging the areas where each lens was better or worse overall there was NO difference between the quality of the 24-105mm and the 24-70mm II.

Here's the write up for the comparison:

vs 24-105mm (@ f/4.0)

24mm

Center: Equal

Mid Frame Copy 1: Much Better

Mid Frame Copy 2: Much Better

Edge Copy 1: Much Better

Edge Copy 2: Much Better

28mm

Mid Frame Copy 2: Better

Edge Copy 1: Better

Edge Copy 2: Equal

35mm

Mid Frame Copy 1: Equal sagittal resolution, better meridonial resolution

Mid Frame Copy 2: Much Worse

Edge Copy 1: Equal

Edge Copy 2: Much Worse

50mm

Mid Frame Copy 1: Equal

Mid Frame Copy 2: Worse

Edge Copy 1: Much Worse

70mm

Mid Frame Copy 2: Better sagittal resolution, equal meridonial resolution

Edge Copy 1: Better sagittal resolution, equal meridonial resolution

Conclusion:

(formula is +1 per copy that: shows better -1 for worse -1.5 for better +1.5 for much better (+0.5 per partial improvement)

Total score. 0 ZERO between these two copies and the 24-105mm it's equal.

Source of the info:

Note on their testing methodology:

The camera/lens is multiple-laser-aligned to the target which is mounted on 60" , 1/2" thick sheet of glass.

Tests are conducted using externally-magnified Live View manual focusing and center-point-only autofocus (initial focus is gained using autofocus and then adjusted manually). The best of the many re-focused shots (typically at least 10 sets - often 15-20) are used for the results for EACH camera/lens/focal-length/aperture combination.

His variances are measured in a few ten thousanths of a degree.

Live view focusing laser aligned cameras and lenses on a target so flat that it needs a 40 lb sheet of glass to keep it level is a pretty serious way of testing that will show few errors, especially when doing 20 repeated trials and refocusing each time. He gets the depth of field within at the least 99% of the sharpest possible setting by my calculations (99.3% to be exact) for an f/1.4 lens. His testing method is so accurate, that the actual thickness of the chart he uses is at the least 14 times greater than the deviation he has from ideal focus for a f/1.4 lens. The tests are done to the accuracy of small fractions of a sheet of paper.

It's also worth mentioning when comparing the 24-105mm to the 24-70mm II that the 24-70mm II is better than it if you get a good copy, but worse if you get a bad copy, so it depends, and this is just speaking with a 4 copy sample which may or may not represent the norm or future improvements in manufacturing tolerances form Canon.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 01:49:24 AM by Radiating »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile

What issues?

Enjoy your new lens ;)

I think I will get that. @ questions would you recommend plus or pro and is there a way to calibrate without a tripod. I do not have one?

To be honest...I would go for PRO version. It worth it. One of most important steps is setting your target. YOU HAVE TO HAVE decent tripod for this test. Why? - Your lens and target need to be in same height.

I'm currently using this one. Not the best, but it's good enough to do landscape.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687335-REG/Oben_AC_1410_BA_0_AC_1410_Aluminum_Tripod_w.html

I will get a decent tripod, 22lbs load, in the future though.

Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile

What issues?

Just thought I'd clear things up.

Just an FYI I compared 4 different copies of the 24-70mm II to the 24-105mm (which is a consistent lens). When averaging the areas where each lens was better or worse overall there was NO difference between the quality of the 24-105mm and the 24-70mm II.

Here's the write up for the comparison:

vs 24-105mm (@ f/4.0)

24mm

Mid Frame Copy 2: Much Better

Edge Copy 1: Much Better

Edge Copy 2: Much Better

28mm

Mid Frame Copy 2: Better

Edge Copy 1: Better

Edge Copy 2: Equal

35mm

Mid Frame Copy 2: Much Worse

Edge Copy 1: Equal

50mm

Mid Frame Copy 1: Equal

Mid Frame Copy 2: Worse

Edge Copy 1: Much Worse

70mm

Mid Frame Copy 2: Better sagittal resolution, equal meridonial resolution

Edge Copy 1: Better sagittal resolution, equal meridonial resolution

Conclusion:

(formula is +1 per copy that: shows better -1 for worse -1.5 for better +1.5 for much better (+0.5 per partial improvement)

Total score. 0 ZERO between these two copies and the 24-105mm it's equal.

Source of the info:

Note on their testing methodology:

The camera/lens is multiple-laser-aligned to the target which is mounted on 60" , 1/2" thick sheet of glass.

Tests are conducted using externally-magnified Live View manual focusing and center-point-only autofocus (initial focus is gained using autofocus and then adjusted manually). The best of the many re-focused shots (typically at least 10 sets - often 15-20) are used for the results for EACH camera/lens/focal-length/aperture combination.

His variances are measured in a few ten thousanths of a degree.

Live view focusing laser aligned cameras and lenses on a target so flat that it needs a 40 lb sheet of glass to keep it level is a pretty serious way of testing that will show few errors, especially when doing 20 repeated trials and refocusing each time. He gets the depth of field within at the least 99% of the sharpest possible setting by my calculations (99.3% to be exact) for an f/1.4 lens. His testing method is so accurate, that the actual thickness of the chart he uses is at the least 14 times greater than the deviation he has from ideal focus for a f/1.4 lens. The tests are done to the accuracy of small fractions of a sheet of paper.

It's also worth mentioning when comparing the 24-105mm to the 24-70mm II that the 24-70mm II is better than it if you get a good copy, but worse if you get a bad copy, so it depends, and this is just speaking with a 4 copy sample which may or may not represent the norm or future improvements in manufacturing tolerances form Canon.

Ok So your telling me I spent all that extra money for nothing to gain an extra stop but not IS. Is that what your saying. That does not make me feel good about my purchase anymore.

Ryanide

Re: Just got my new 24-70 ii and it is so nice how is everyone else liking it?
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 11:24:22 AM »
I also sold my 24-105 (don't miss it at all!!). Just got the new 24-70II in yesterday. I only had a chance to snap a few shots and will do more testing this weekend. From what I can see this lens is everything that I was hoping for. The images are SHARP and have nice contrast and saturation, similar to my other favorite lenses 35L & 24L. I did a few shots directly into the sun and it handled the situation very well with almost no flare (I really couldn't ask for better).

I'm very happy with my purchase and the way I look at it, I only spent $1500 for it. ($2300 - $800 from the 24-105 sale = $1500)  ::)

Now I have the perfect kit with the 5D3, 24-70 2.8II & 70-200 2.8II. And then I have primes for when needed 24LII, 35L, 50L, 100macro. Oh and the 17-40 for interiors.... I think Canon is planning a 14-24L 2.8?? Can't wait.

87vr6

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 11:35:21 AM »
my god. just go out and shoot pictures. Jesus. Peeping pixels is like saying my one dollar bill has a better ratio of red and blue threads than yours. Christ, use the lens what it's meant for, making memories, not seeing who has a better pixel than you.

I rented a 24-70II a few weeks ago, it was spectacular, but I'm still probably going to buy a version one because in reality, the zoom/hood design is superior. However, I have seen the reviews and the II is definitely crisper at the edges than the I, and that's without viewing at 100%, which I don't do, because no one looks at my pictures on a 80" screen...

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 11:45:48 AM »
My 24-105 is very good, and I have some fast primes for low light.  Thats why I can wait. One stop better is significant, but I won't need it until about Christmas when I start my low light photography.  I used a Nikon D800 with their 24-70mm f/2.8G, and found myself at f/2.8 and ISO 12800 much of the time.  The fast primes can drop this to ISO 6400 or less.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 11:45:48 AM »

MARKOE PHOTOE

• EOS M2
  • Photography is a love affair with life.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.markoe.smugmug.com
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 11:57:01 AM »
The new 24-70 II is making me re-think my 'primes only' theory. It is sharp end to end, fast and puts a vote of confidence in every shot.  I had it with me yesterday while out with a grey sky.  Had a Lee Big Stopper filter on the front so the attached shot is a bit degraded. :-\
A few cameras and lenses and a lot of creative energy and imagination.
"You never learn anything until you mess it up."

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 12:06:27 PM »
The new 24-70 II is making me re-think my 'primes only' theory. It is sharp end to end, fast and puts a vote of confidence in every shot.  I had it with me yesterday while out with a grey sky.  Had a Lee Big Stopper filter on the front so the attached shot is a bit degraded. :-\
Its all relative.  I'd call that good light.  Its trying to catch dancers when the lights are very dim at 1/320 sec that the rubber meets the road.  I'm not confident that my 5D MK III will be that good at ISO 12800.  Exposure will have to be perfect.  Shooting sports in a dimly lit stadium is still 4 stops better than I see.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 12:06:27 PM »