October 21, 2014, 05:44:16 PM

Author Topic: Arca-Swiss requires plate  (Read 4886 times)

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Arca-Swiss requires plate
« on: October 13, 2012, 04:27:43 PM »
This:

http://www.adorama.com/AWMBZ1SPC.html

In the description it reads requires plate.

Then it leaves me hanging.  Is this the quick release plate?  Where can I buy it?  What model for a 5d3?  Arca-Swiss seems to be well regarded, but their website suxs azz; it has limited information.

I want to pair this with a Gitzo CF tripod, yeah!

Thanks for  the replies.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

canon rumors FORUM

Arca-Swiss requires plate
« on: October 13, 2012, 04:27:43 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: Arca-Swiss requires plate
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 04:49:44 PM »
It does not include a quick release plate.  They are pretty standard, but you should look for reviews of various QR plates and how they work with the head.
Most Arca Swiss compatible plates work, but some have quirks.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 04:59:46 PM »
Yes, you need a quick release plate for your camera (and lens tripod collars, if any).  If you will shoot portrait orientation from the tripod, consider an L-bracket instead of just a base plate for the camera (yes, the ballhead has a drop notch, but centering the weight over the ball is better, and also enables you to do a pano rotation in portrait orientation).

Clicking the Accessories tab on the page you link shows the 'generic' base plates (fit any camera, you'd need the 1/4") from Arca-Swiss. But, lots of vendors make compatible plates since the AS system is 'the standard'.  Check out Wimberley for a good generic plate (P-5) and lens plates for tripod collars.  I like Really Right Stuff plates and L-brackets a lot - they are camera-specific, meaning no chance of the plate twisting. RRS gear is available only direct from them, though. Kirk plates and L-brackets are of equal quality to RRS, and distributed by B&H/Adorama.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 05:09:50 PM »
Yes, you need a quick release plate for your camera (and lens tripod collars, if any).  If you will shoot portrait orientation from the tripod, consider an L-bracket instead of just a base plate for the camera (yes, the ballhead has a drop notch, but centering the weight over the ball is better, and also enables you to do a pano rotation in portrait orientation).

Clicking the Accessories tab on the page you link shows the 'generic' base plates (fit any camera, you'd need the 1/4") from Arca-Swiss. But, lots of vendors make compatible plates since the AS system is 'the standard'.  Check out Wimberley for a good generic plate (P-5) and lens plates for tripod collars.  I like Really Right Stuff plates and L-brackets a lot - they are camera-specific, meaning no chance of the plate twisting. RRS gear is available only direct from them, though. Kirk plates and L-brackets are of equal quality to RRS, and distributed by B&H/Adorama.
+1 all of the above.  I have different brands, some fit lenses, some fit bodies, and a few generic ones.  I have both RRS and Kirk and they are good.

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 05:11:28 PM »
+2

Thanks.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 07:43:32 PM »
I see the 200/2L in your sig - I'd look at either the Wimberley P-20 plate or the RRS replacement foot for the 200/2.

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 08:10:39 PM »
While you're checking out RSS plates, also have a look at their ballheads, which're awesome.

b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 08:10:39 PM »

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 08:59:55 PM »
You may want to check out  http://promediagear.3dcartstores.com/ for excellent camera specific plates. Kirk Enterprises for L brackets and generic plates for lenses from Amazon or ebay...

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 09:24:44 PM »
Also keep in mind that different manufacturer's plates have varying tolerances. If you opt for a lever release clamp on your ballhead, you may be required to buy the plates from the same maker. If you get a screw type clamp there will be no compatability issues...

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 10:15:57 PM »
This plate on my 5d3:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B5D3A&type=0&eq=&desc=B5D3A%3a-Plate-for-5D-Mk-III%2c-Rev-A

Will fit right in to the Arca Z1 ball head's clamp (I think I want the Arca with the screw and not the lever, unless those with experience recommend otherwise?). 

So that advantage with the RRS plate is that it made to fit and will stay square on the body and will not twist like my annoying inexpensive manfrotto set up.  But that plate is next to useless for my 200/2, but I never put that lens on a tripod; it's a handheld lens only for me.  I use my pod mostly with my 24mm for long exposures. 

Thanks for the information.  It's hard to grasp all this stuff when there are no stores here that stock anything more than basic Manfrotto gear.  They can get me Arca-Swiss heads, but seem to know less about them than I do.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 11:02:15 PM »
Yes, that plate will fit right into the Arca Z1 clamp, and is a custom fit to your 5DIII - provided you don't use it with a battery grip, else you need a different plate.

Or consider the L-bracket, instead: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B5D3-LA, for better balance in portrait orientation on the ballhead.

As for the 200/2, correct - you'd need a lens plate (or replacement foot) for that.

Personally, I have AS-type plates/L-brackets on both bodies and all tripod collar feet, except the 600L II where replaced the Canon foot with the RRS foot.  I have two tripods, one of which has both a ballhead and a gimbal, and a monopod as well, all with AS-type clamps.  More importantly, I use Blackrapid straps to carry my gear when in use, and I've got Kirk 1" clamps on the ends of those straps.  So, I can attach a strap to a body or lens for best balance, freely move attachment points when I change lenses, and mount to ballhead/gimbal/monopod quickly, as needed.

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 12:34:09 AM »
The fantastic thing about the arca-swiss system is lots of manufactures make it, and they are all cross compatible. 

Many (but not all) have a safety system of pins that will keep the plate from falling off the ball head if you loosen it but don't completely undo it.  In this loose position, you can slide the plate back and forth to get positition and balance.  (Or you can just be happy your camera did not fall on the ground because you did not make it as tight as it needed to be.) Not all have the safety system, and I avoid the ones that do not.

One of my favorite Arca-swiss add ons is the Wimberly Sidekick.  It converts your ballhead into a long lens gimbal system without removing the ball head.

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 12:42:03 AM »
While you're checking out RSS plates, also have a look at their ballheads, which're awesome.

b&

Yes, the BH-55 looks really nice.  Do you have a RRS ball head?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 12:42:03 AM »

AdamJ

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 01:57:32 AM »
The fantastic thing about the arca-swiss system is lots of manufactures make it, and they are all cross compatible. 

To my frustration and cost, I've found that not all Arca-Swiss-compatible clamps and plates are created equal. This table goes some way to recording the differences.

http://www.afximages.com/stuff/arca-plates-xref.html

Sitting Elf

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 06:39:07 AM »

b&

Yes, the BH-55 looks really nice.  Do you have a RRS ball head?

I have the BH-55. It ROCKS!  Do a google search for "BH-55 Reviews".  If you can find a single honest negative review, I'll send you a bottle of Irish Whiskey!

Probably the highest rated Ballhead in the world, and RRS is a great company. Everything they make is extraordinarily engineered... just expensive.

Also, +1 on the Wemberley Sidekick. I have it AND the flash attachment that works with it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 06:39:07 AM »