October 20, 2014, 09:19:17 AM

Author Topic: Arca-Swiss requires plate  (Read 4877 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Arca-Swiss requires plate
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 07:50:39 AM »
While you're checking out RSS plates, also have a look at their ballheads, which're awesome.
Yes, the BH-55 looks really nice.  Do you have a RRS ball head?

I've got the BH-55 as well, and it's excellent, as is all the RRS gear I've got (which is a lot - TVC-33 legs w/ leveling base clamp, PG-02 LLR gimbal for the supertele, rail that turns the gimbal into a full multi row pano rig, monopod and tilt head, etc.).  Their stuff is universally high quality, but also thoughtfully designed with ease of use and modularity in mind. The pano use for the gimbal is one example, another is the L-bracket for the 1D X, which converts between L and just the base plate (better bag fit if not bringing tripod), and the allen key to do that stores inside the plate.

The Z1 looks like an excellent ballhead, especially after the two redesigns it has undergone - they first changed the pan lock knob design, then later moved the position of the drop notch relative to the main knob (I suspect the latter may be recent, because the product pic on Adorama isn't a pic, it's a CAD drawing).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 07:50:39 AM »

Richard Lane

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 09:55:53 AM »

Will fit right in to the Arca Z1 ball head's clamp (I think I want the Arca with the screw and not the lever, unless those with experience recommend otherwise?). 

So that advantage with the RRS plate is that it made to fit and will stay square on the body and will not twist like my annoying inexpensive manfrotto set up.  But that plate is next to useless for my 200/2, but I never put that lens on a tripod; it's a handheld lens only for me.

The Arca Swiss Head is considered one of the top ballheads, as is the RRS-55, and Markins Q-Ball M20 (many users and reviewers described the Markins as slightly smoother than the RRS-55, that's why I went that route). FWIW, the Arca Swiss is considered buttery smooth as well.  I bought the Markins without a clamp and then I purchased the RRS Quick release lever clamp (B2 LR II: 60mm LR clamp with dual mount) and attached it to the Markins head with the included screw. However, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the top 3 ballheads above.  Personally, I happen to like the lower center of gravity of the RRS-55 design, as compared to the Markins and Arca swiss.

Another thing I like about RRS, is that you are not only buying a clamp or lens plate, but you are buying into a totally compatible system in which everything that they design works very well together. For me the ballhead was less important than the interaction between the camera/lens plate and clamp. I use all RRS camera L-brackets and lens plates and I have one wimberley plate which works perfectly with the RRS lever clamp on my ballhead and monopod head.

I prefer the QR lever clamp over the knob clamp.  The QR lever is either open or closed, and that is easily determined by just a quick glance at it. If you look at the knob clamp, you can't tell if it's loose or tight.  You have to actually check it with your hand.  So, there is a tendency to keep tightening it all day.  The other thing I like about the QR lever is that, it is not a knob, so it has a different feel to it. 

Many ballheads use knobs for tensioning the ballhead or for panning.  So, if you are looking through the VF and want to reach down and loosen the panning knob or adjust the ball head knob, then there is no way that you would accidentally loosen the QR lever, because they feel so different.  This is not the case if you have only knobs.

Sometimes I also like to rest my left hand around the top of the ballhead and the knob can get in the way.  I also have the QR lever on my RRS monopod head because I was afraid that all of the positioning, rotating and twisting about with the monopod, could accidentally loosen the clamping knob.

The other nice thing about the RRS QR lever if you should choose to ever get an RRS monopod head, is that for birds in flight, the RRS head uses a knob for tilting the head upwards, and that knob could also easily be mistaken and loosened for the lens plate clamp knob.  With the QR lever there is no chance of that happening.

One word of caution regarding the QR lever, is if you're carrying your tripod over your shoulder, is to make sure that the you don't accidentally catch the QR lever on a piece of clothing (that could actually open it) when you bring the tripod back down to ground level.  I have never done this, but I'm aware of it.  The QR lever actually has a tight fit against the clamp, so there's probably only a very slim chance of catching it.  Some QR levers like the Arca Swiss brand have a lock, which is a nice touch.

Rich
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 10:23:44 AM by Richard Lane »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 10:07:25 AM »
I am happy with the Kirk plate for my 5DMkII. It was a perfect match with my Markins M20 head. Now Markins are said to be Arca Swiss copies. So I guess that the plate will be suitable for Arca Swiss heads too.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 10:37:43 AM »
One word of caution regarding the QR lever, is if you're carrying your tripod over your shoulder, is to make sure that the you don't accidentally catch the QR lever on a piece of clothing (that could actually open it) when you bring the tripod back down to ground level.  I have never done this, but I'm aware of it.  The QR lever actually has a tight fit against the clamp, so there's probably only a very slim chance of catching it.  Some QR levers like the Arca Swiss brand have a lock, which is a nice touch.

I do have the lever clamps on my RRS ballhead and gimbal head, and the clamp on the leveling base that lets me quickly switch between them is also a lever.

But, the above concern is why I went with the screw clamp for the monopod head, as I'm more likely to carry that on my shoulder with the lens mounted, while wearing a backpack, and when carried like that the monopod head rides closer to the shoulder (much thinner diameter than a tripod).  The clamp release knob is about half the diameter of the tilt knob, making it pretty unlikely to grab the wrong one, IMO.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 11:47:55 PM »
I'm really considering the RRS BH55 and their TVC-33 tripod now.  They seem like nice items.   I really like the size of the main control knob on the RRS BH55.  Also, if I'm ordering the plate for my 5D3 from them I can order it all from one place.  If its all RRS gear, then I have the "matching set", and I feel that RRS is on the ball and in the game.  Any issues or future accessories will fit into my tripod set up with few or no issues. Arca-Swiss seems to have a passive business approach. 

Thanks for all the replies.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 11:47:55 PM »