August 27, 2016, 10:25:44 PM

Author Topic: Review - Zeiss Milvus 50mm f/1.4 T*  (Read 2608 times)

photojoern.de

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • See more in http://photojoern.de
    • Photography: Berlin, Landscape, Urbanscape, Travel...
Re: Review - Zeiss Milvus 50mm f/1.4 T*
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 05:16:32 PM »
Probably not...for your shooting style.  People have shot street for a long time without AF, so it is physically possible :)  For me, however, I had no problem delivering images that I liked better than similar images taken with other AF lenses...but yes, I was a little more deliberate in acquiring them.

On that note, though, if you've never used a MF lens on a body with a decent precision matte focus screen, you will have a hard time knowing how much fun MF can be.  Watching the plane of focus glide from one subject to another through the viewfinder at large apertures is about as much fun as you can have doing photography...and does wonders for your creativity.

Well, I did use manual focus with Canone AE-1 and alikes for decades. And I am very happy that I have autofocus available now. Because a properly used AF will nail the focus much quicker and you will, consequently, be able to catch quickly vanishing moments where you otherwise would have been the decisive half a second too late.

You write "I had no problem delivering images that I liked better than similar images taken with other AF lenses". But I don´t still get it: which situations? Did you have a model that was not moving too quickly? That would probably the right situation for the lens.
I just don´t manage to come a conclusion: this lens is the ideal lens for situation x and y. It doesn´t look to be ideal for street, not for landscape. Potentially product, not sure. Portrait? Could be. But only limited, because you will use parts of your concentration and brainpower to focus, less on the model. I don´t get it. I do like Bokeh and open aperture. But why a manual focus might do wonders for my creativity - no, I certainly don´t get that.
Photography is painting with light. A great photo creates a strong feeling, i.e. "I would love to have been there, in that very magic moment."

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 05:16:32 PM »

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2016, 06:35:18 PM »
Probably not...for your shooting style.  People have shot street for a long time without AF, so it is physically possible :)  For me, however, I had no problem delivering images that I liked better than similar images taken with other AF lenses...but yes, I was a little more deliberate in acquiring them.

On that note, though, if you've never used a MF lens on a body with a decent precision matte focus screen, you will have a hard time knowing how much fun MF can be.  Watching the plane of focus glide from one subject to another through the viewfinder at large apertures is about as much fun as you can have doing photography...and does wonders for your creativity.

Well, I did use manual focus with Canone AE-1 and alikes for decades. And I am very happy that I have autofocus available now. Because a properly used AF will nail the focus much quicker and you will, consequently, be able to catch quickly vanishing moments where you otherwise would have been the decisive half a second too late.

You write "I had no problem delivering images that I liked better than similar images taken with other AF lenses". But I don´t still get it: which situations? Did you have a model that was not moving too quickly? That would probably the right situation for the lens.
I just don´t manage to come a conclusion: this lens is the ideal lens for situation x and y. It doesn´t look to be ideal for street, not for landscape. Potentially product, not sure. Portrait? Could be. But only limited, because you will use parts of your concentration and brainpower to focus, less on the model. I don´t get it. I do like Bokeh and open aperture. But why a manual focus might do wonders for my creativity - no, I certainly don´t get that.

For the most part I didn't use the lens any differently than I would an AF lens.  What I'm saying is that I preferred the LOOK of the images over competing AF lenses that I've reviewed.  I would certainly prefer the Milvus to have a great AF system.  It doesn't, but that doesn't mean that I can't produce pictures that I prefer to competing lenses with it because of the great optics.  I think you are confusing my point.  It's not AF vs MF; it is the Milvus package (including optics) over the Canon, Nikon, Sigma, and Tamron alternatives.
6D x 2 | 80D | 70D | EOS-M3 w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + 55-200 STM + Rokinon 12MM F/2 + EF Adapter| Tamron 15-30 VC | EF-S 24mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | Tamron 45mm VC | Zeiss 50 | 50 STM | 100L | 135L | Tamron 70-200 VC | 100-400L II | Legacy Glass

eli452

• Rebel T6i
  • When you have to shoot shoot don't talk
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2016, 11:59:56 PM »
It seems as though some people put upgraded focusing screens in the 5DIII, but it is not architected to do it like a 1D series is.  So it is more difficult. Check on YouTube, there are some videos about it.

I purchased the Zeiss Milvus 50mm f/1.4 and for better use of the lens also purchased from http://www.focusingscreen.com/ a split-screen focus screen. They have clear instructions on how to replace the original (for my 7D non user replaceable) screen. Easy, takes only a few minutes, do not let this stop you!
And yes, not for all, but a great lens.
7D; 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye; 100mm f/2.8L macro; TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II; 24-105 f/4L; EF-S 10-22mm; 70-300mm f/4-5.6L; Milvus 50mm f/1.4, 600EX-RT & ST-E3-RT; lots more stuff.

BMLmedia

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 09:11:24 AM »
I have read reviews that suggest the IQ on the Sigma 50 1.4 ART is very very close to the much more expensive Zeiss Otus.  Given that the Sigma is a bit less $$ and has AF, what would be the compelling reason to go with this non-AF lens for a little more than the Sigma?  Serious question.

If you get a dialed in copy of the Sigma (and there are people who say they have such an animal), it is an extremely sharp lens.  It does not have the visual punch of the Otus, though (I compared them side by side).  The Otus has better microcontrast, global contrast, and color rendition.  The Sigma is a bit sharper than this Milvus wide open, but I like the overall drawing/look of the Milvus rendering more than any of the other 50mm options I've reviewed (more than 15).

Zeiss lenses aren't for everyone, but this one has a lot of character that will appeal to certain shooters and is worthy of consideration for anyone who isn't put off by MF.

In addition to image quality and the unique look that people talk about there is also a feel of quality when you hold the Otus. You know it is the best built lens you can get and you know it will not break anytime soon. If you make a living from your equipment then knowing it will not fail in from of a client is very assuring.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 09:11:24 AM »