October 20, 2017, 04:59:00 AM

Author Topic: Review: Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC G2 by TDP  (Read 1271 times)

Larsskv

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Enthusiast with Canon related GAS
Re: Review: Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC G2 by TDP
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 01:23:51 AM »
I want to know what bizarro faerie land y'all live in where 90%+ AF accuracy rate for an all-rounder zoom at its widest aperture is "not encouraging". Aside from easily being within the margin for user error and/or camera error, 90%+ accuracy is no worse than I've ever had from any first-party combination (including 'god AF' things like the 1DX2 and 500mm f/4 mk II, and recently trying the D850 and 200-500), let alone third-party. The Canon 24-70 II sure as hell does no better. (In fact I never use that lens when I need really critical focus.)

The rest of it is in keeping with both what was expected and what everybody else is finding out. The last version had focus breathing at minimum distances, too, so that's nothing new; would have been nice if it'd been sorted out but it's not like this is the kind of lens you buy for focal length-critical macro work. General IQ on Bryan's copy(/ies) seems to be a fair bit worse than any anybody else has reviewed with.

I'm waiting on a loaner to evaluate it myself—unsurprisingly there's been quite a waiting list for it—but I have a strong suspicion already that it's going to end up in one of my bags. The previous version was superb at f/4 and fair enough at f/2.8, and including stabilisation made it invaluable for everything outside of the studio. I only ditched it when A) it fell out of a fourth-story window and did not, unsurprisingly, survive, and B) I got a nice discount on the Canon, enough to make me give up stabilisation. (Which I regretted almost immediately.) Again, I'm waiting on one to be sent before I make a firm decision, but so far all the reviews except Bryan's point toward this being basically everything the previous version was but just all-round better-corrected, so if my loaner turns out the same way I'm pretty sure my Canon will be retired. For the purposes a 24-70 actually gets used for, stabilisation is just too invaluable. I'll gladly take a slight step back in f/2.8 image quality for the sake of stabilisation.

I had the Tamron 45 f1.8. I guess it had a hit rate with the center AF point on my 1DXII at about 90 percent, which was acceptable. However, the off center AF points did consequently back focus, much like mr Carnathan reports on the Tamron 24-70. This focusing issue was very annoying and I sold my 45mm, even though I liked it on almost every other way.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 01:23:51 AM »

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 11:08:57 AM »
Exact the same issue I was fighting with my previos generation Tamron 24-70 lens. Framing shift was very annoying.
The lens was repaired by Tamron but IS issue has never been fixed.

…Annoying is that one tested copy of this lens (out of 5 compared between myself and another individual) had an issue with the framing shifting somewhat left or right when the rotation direction was reversed…

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 12:21:48 PM »
Following up to Mr. Carnathan's response, I asked:

"Were most of the misses in the lower light settings in your test, or was it more of the odd miss in any light?"

His answer:

"Unfortunately, I was not able to discern any consistencies with the OOF results. They seemed random to me. It is impossible to do a completely exhaustive test of the lens as there are an unlimited number of circumstances that it could be used in, but I felt reasonably confident with the center AF point performance."

Again: in ideal AF conditions in a controlled test  (the best possible AF outcome you will get), the center AF point of this f/2.8 lens randomly misses 5-10% of the time.   Take this lens into the real world -- where moving subjects, high contrast lighting, fatigue from longer shooting sessions, higher fps / servo AF use etc. -- and I cannot fathom how that number would improve.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 12:21:48 PM »