July 31, 2014, 09:58:16 AM

Author Topic: Pentax 645z Review  (Read 507 times)

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
Pentax 645z Review
« on: July 30, 2014, 08:51:04 PM »

Here's the first proper review (I've seen) of the "affordable" Medium Format camera.

They like it, and so do I...

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/pentax_645z_review/
« Last Edit: Today at 12:05:08 AM by Harry Muff »
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

canon rumors FORUM

Pentax 645z Review
« on: July 30, 2014, 08:51:04 PM »

tolusina

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Pentax 645z Review
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:42:22 PM »
Oh my, that is tempting.
I could budget that, not certain I'm worthy.
40 on 6

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:05:59 AM »
I checked out a couple of the raw samples and they are very nice indeed. Me want.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

PavelR

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:30:34 AM »
Speed    Auto:1/4000 - 30 sec, Manual:1/4000 - 30 sec (1/3 EV steps or 1/2 EV steps), bulb
X-Synchronization    1/125 sec.
Exposure Compensation    -2.0 to + 1.0 EV

It can not be used as easy as DSLR and as creative as other MF cameras.
(Price [+ price of lenses] of course makes me not to buy it.)

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 05:54:18 AM »

Here's the first proper review (I've seen) of the "affordable" Medium Format camera.

They like it, and so do I...

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/pentax_645z_review/

Luminous Landscape has also reviewed it and offer a different conclusion. You have to take into account that Michael Reichmann used to use medium format but based on his age (gear weight) and the increase in quality from high MP dslr and mirror less, then he questions whether medium format has the compelling advantage it used to enjoy.

That being said, Michael still uses a phase one I believe, but less than he used to.

Ultimately it depends on what you want to use it for and where. Certainly the Pentax makes the best bridge in functionality between dslr and MF,  and if money were no object then a MF camera plus lenses would indeed be appealing. Alas I don't make money from my photography, so the £12k I figure it would cost for a body and lenses would be a large investment and for me I think a high MP dslr (Canon preferred) or as an interim maybe a Sony (still put off by lossy compression on their raw files but at least I can use Canon glass) will be a better and cheaper investment.

Either way, Pentax encroaching on 1D / D4s territory is good for us. Be interested to see if Sony are allowed to launch their own medium format into the market - I figure that would undercut Pentax by a couple of grand....
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

AcutancePhotography

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:09:51 AM »
Especially considering that the 645z is a medium format camera you can feel comfortable taking out in the dirty, dusty, damp world and not worry about it.

It wish it *were* affordable to me.  But alas, more than a bit out of my hobbiest budget.  But it does look like a sweet camera though.  :-*
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:09:51 AM »