June 25, 2017, 01:58:41 AM

Author Topic: LensTip Review: EF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM  (Read 330 times)

ahsanford

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • USM > STM
LensTip Review: EF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM
« on: June 23, 2017, 12:34:59 PM »
Better late than never on Canon's recent non-L 70-300 offering:

http://www.lenstip.com/503.4-Lens_review-Canon_EF_70-300_mm_f_4-5.6_IS_II_USM_Image_resolution.html

TL/DR version:

• Good but not stellar resolution; center looks 70-300L-ish, but it does not match up towards the outside of the frame.  The 70mm wide open performance drops like a stone away from the frame center.

• Rave review of the nano USM:  "the autofocus performance is sensationally fast. Running through the whole distance scale and confirming the focus at the shorter end of the focal lengths spectrum takes 0.1-0.2 of a second; for the longer focal lengths the process is by 0.1-0.2 of a second longer.

To be honest I am a bit surprised that, for the first time, such technology appears in completely amateur constructions. The working culture of the autofocus, its noiselessness, 100% accuracy, and superior speed put to shame even some professional lenses. A round of applause for Canon!"

A generally positive read on the value this lens offers: "Taking it all into account I don’t doubt the lens will find a lot of happy buyers, especially that the products of independent producers, even if cheaper, are inferior when it comes to image resolution, and far behind when you compare their autofocus and stabilization to those of the tested lens."

- A

canon rumors FORUM

LensTip Review: EF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM
« on: June 23, 2017, 12:34:59 PM »

ahsanford

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • USM > STM
Re: LensTip Review: EF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 12:50:18 PM »

Side note: I am warming up to Nano USM for my future EF 50 f/1.4 USM II.  This is a very positive review of the Nano, though I still want the legit ring USM + mechanical focusing if I could choose. 

STM = focus by wire + both internal and external focusing designs + not that quick to focus

Nano USM = focus by wire + internally focusing + fast AF for stills

USM = mechanical focusing + internally focusing (for the most part) + (very) fast AF for stills

(Yes, there are other considerations for AF systems, but those are the three biggies for me.)

So if my hell-freezes-over 50 prime finally arrives, the middle option above -- seemingly more likely to happen than a true ring USM -- would not be the end of the world for me.

- A

Jopa

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 09:14:06 PM »
Based on personal experience - STM is great for video. Really really smooth, unlike USM. But slow for stills, where USM shines, being almost instant. NanoUSM seems like the best of two worlds. Most likely it's the future. The only thing I'm not sure if it'll work for large lenses. LR has posted a pic of a disassembled 70-300 and the motor itself - it's tiny, but it could be scalable though...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 09:14:06 PM »