September 02, 2014, 12:38:59 AM

Author Topic: Consumer Reports: Canon G1X MK2 Best Ever  (Read 303 times)

JumboShrimp

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Consumer Reports: Canon G1X MK2 Best Ever
« on: August 30, 2014, 09:54:54 PM »
FWIW department: The October 2014 issue (p. 47) of Consumer Reports says that the Canon G1X Mark II is "our best-scoring camera ever".  ::)

canon rumors FORUM

Consumer Reports: Canon G1X MK2 Best Ever
« on: August 30, 2014, 09:54:54 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Consumer Reports: Canon G1X MK2 Best Ever
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 11:55:04 AM »
I have one, and I like it for general carry around use, as opposed to a DSLR with 24-105mm lens.  Its far too big to be pocketable, but small enough to be carried with a wrist strap.

Consumer reports slants their reviews towards a different type of user than those who post here.  Photo enthusiasts are a very diverse group, and are generally going to sacrifice all around utility for best performance. 

I feel that the camera is priced too high, but I sold my old G1 X MK I for 3X what it cost me new, so the difference to upgrade wasn't bad.

My wife just spent a week horse riding on the ocean beach, and was worried about taking a $800 camera on the horse.  I spotted a used Nikon s9700 on CL for $120 and bought it for her.  I played around with it, its fine for what I paid, but a huge step down in IQ and overall performance.  Noise is horrible at almost any setting above base ISO.  It survived the beach just fine, she is careful with her cameras, so I don't know if we will keep it or not.  It fits in her purse, so she likes that.  The GPS feature works well, in Lightroom I could zoom into a satellite view of the camp and see where each photo was taken.  I would not want her to use that feature to post online and let someone track her.  The camera has Wi-Fi, but she does not use it.  I thought the Wi-Fi on the G1 X was crippled, but when I tried the primitive Wi-Fi on the Nikon, Canon started looking very good.

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 08:55:16 PM »
You can't trust Consumer Reports opinion on cameras. Back in the day, when the majority of Pros were using the Nikon F, Consumer Reports said it was the worst camera.

If you gave Consumer Reports a Canon 1D X to test, they wouldn't like it. They know nothing of photography, and treat cameras like toasters or hair dryers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 08:55:16 PM »