January 29, 2015, 01:21:14 AM

Author Topic: Why do I keep my Eos M?  (Read 5479 times)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Why do I keep my Eos M?
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2015, 02:09:01 AM »
Bought it for same reason, $300. I used it very little. I prefer my RX1. Hope RX1 II will comes with pop-up EVF(same as RX100 III). Will sell my Eos-M soon.

My M is up for sale: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=24652.msg484874#new
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2015, 02:09:01 AM »

archiea

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2015, 12:31:07 AM »
Interesting topic, maybe I can add my muse...

I originally got the camera because I was interested in the small form factor that was also compatible with the flashes I used on my 5D. I wanted to check out mirrorless, why not when it was a steal and it leveraged the gear that I have (vs the impressive but expensive sony/Panasonic/Olympus variants).

Yup its slow, and the IQ is that of the 7D, the WORST IQ I've seen from a canon camera of that grade.

I also upgraded from an near zombiefied iphone 4 to an iphone 6 recently which made me reconsider it for snapshots.

so where does this leave my EOS usage...

The iphone is the camera that is always with me, thats both good and bad b/c as a photographer you usually had your camera at reach for those "moments"... and since it was the camera you had, it was a good one.  Now I have a camera that I would have never bought as a camera (no zoom or interchangeable lenses, no RAW coupled with no real manual adjustments) attached to my phone which toggles my lazy gene to not have a "real" camera at hand..  so Pluses and minuses...

While I was hoping for the EOS to be a street camera, a 5D coupled with the 40mm pancake kinda fits the bill with MUCh better IQ and the response time of a fast DSLR AND a viewfinder... this really helps my composing....

that being said, My 'M goes on many trips b/c it fits in a small bag with TWO lenses, I can stuff my 600 speedlite in the bag, even the radio remote and have a compact camera system that is as versatile with flash photography as my 5D. When I go to family events where most folks would have whipped out an iphone and have a grainy photo, I end up with sharp image with flash filled or flash bounced images with WB and exposure precisely controlled.

This is my conclusion: I love the 'M because it allows me to shot that small form factor EXACTLY as I shoot the large form factor 5D. Its an albatross market failure of a camera.... doesn't meant its a bad camera, its just a bad consumer product. 

ITs also gives me a peak into the small mirrorless form factor.

Here is my concern: with the M being an official crop sensor mirrorless camera (a great compromise), I'm sorry to say that, even with the 7DII, the sheer suck-a-tude of the current "crop" of crop sensors.  I think canon traded mega pixels and a lot of software foolin' around for the fidelity for a natively less noisy image. I think it was the 40 or 50D that had and APS-C  that was 10MP and 15 MP respectively that was the ceiling on IQ for the APS-C.  So I think its a far chance that canon would release yet ANOTHER mount standard for mirroless for full frame. So we are stuck with the dynamic range challenged, grainy APS-C sensors for mirrorless. 

Heres another thing too: since the flash isn't built in, and has to be external. why not make it more than just a "lifestyle" flash (read: underpowered).

here's what i propose for an EOS-M3:

Make it have a built in Radio for a new line of flashes that can either gelled quickly or have it have two bulbs (like the iphone flash) , one at 5600K the other at 2900K. they both shoot in tandem for the correct color temperature above indoor 2900... which makes sense since you will need more power likely....  built in radio offers off camera flash as STANDARD now.  Imaging little go-pro style booms attached to these flashes so that you can throw light anywhere...   Imagine the tiny little snoots and light modifiers that would fit these little thing.. I'd say no bigger than a 270EX with the bounce head feature too.  "But won't the flashes be too small or underpowered" you say in your most annoying voice...  Well imagine if the the EOS-M3 shaved off a few megapixels, say 12-15MP in leu of light sensitivity... so that i can live in ISO  6400, 12,800 easily without the sharpness loss.  Marketing nightmare but a photographers dream.. whats the point of having a 18 or 21 MP image that sucks at low light and you end up losing resolution by noise reducing in post or in camera, right?

Smaller MP also means less DIGIC processing time, faster shutter, faster response, more pixels for phase shift whatever-the-funkity face stalking technology they have...  it will be a better picture taking and overall IQ in the end.  Every reviewer will pan it, but every canon user will buy it.   

WHY?

because you can shot with it EXACTLY as you do your DSLR AND its smaller AND you introduce some innovative technology: like built in radio for flashes, White balance smart flashes, bullet proof ad-hoc networking with mobile phones for instant uploading to the phone's camera roll, ready for sharing.....

What do you guys think...? besides that I went oFf topic, captain Obvious, What do you guys think would make a future EOS-M even a  bigger keeper than the current one?

bf

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2015, 02:36:55 AM »
whats the point of having a 18 or 21 MP image that sucks at low light and you end up losing resolution by noise reducing in post or in camera, right?

I agree with you on this point although I don't see it happening. It sounds similar to the relation of Nikon's D800 line and D3 lines. Or similar to what Fuji put on X100.  However, it means they need a new sensor that would not justify the production expenses. Even now, having an APSC sensor in a power-shot body is something neat.

I think this camera is too pro for consumers (feature wise) and too consumer for pros (considering the form factor and unknown development roadmap). I have heard people nagging why it can't auto-rotate from portrait to landscape when they playback their images. What they have seen in smartphones.

I think if canon wants to take it serious they need to make it specialized for at least one genre. I think the only killer member of the family is Ef-m 11-22. When added to the small form factor it's very desirable for hikers who also do landscape. Yet, we need a nice tele here.

What I like for M3 is a more power-full processor with snappy startup time added to what M2 already has (WiFi and faster AF). An articulated LCD can be a plus for shooting from hip. This would be good candidate for an excellent street camera and an Iphone killer. Same to you I do hate the over sharpened  nasty smartphone snapshots who only look good on tiny screens.
EOS M

johnctharp

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2015, 04:36:43 AM »
The 22/2 is arguably a gem; it's cheap, but note that it's performance puts it in range of ~US$1000 lenses from Fuji and Sony.

The 55-200 is apparently a nice lens, though it's more rare than the 11-22, and it's a difficult sell when Tamron is producing an 18-200 for the system.

The main theme here is that when Canon gets around to pushing mirrorless- and it is a 'when' question, not if- we'll have plenty of high quality optics to choose from given the available examples.

Further, we could see third-party support take off with Sigma, and even Zeiss, and that's not counting the Samyang lenses.

And maybe, my dream adapter will come through- a tilt/shift version of the EF -> EF-M adapter that retains all electrical functions :).

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2015, 10:57:27 AM »
why do I keep my eos-m?
I bought It for 300 bucks with the 22mm lens. I liked it enough, but it wasn't amazing, and gets destroyed by my a7 with 35mm 2.8 lens in low light situations(there is no comparison at all.)
My wife loves the small form factor(it fits in her purse nicely) the HDR(which performs better than my a7,) and the touch screen(it's easier to use on an occasional basis than the a7.)
We bought the 11-22 on amazon.cn(I was living in china) on a daily deal for about 375 bucks and I love that lens, especially it's small size and excellent image quality and IS.
The 22mm and 11-22mm are two excellent lenses. I ponder selling the M sometimes and buying the wide angle option for the a7, but my wife really enjoys using it, and it's nice to throw in my wife's purse when I'm too lazy to take out my backpack with the a7 in it.
We're currently traveling for about 4 months in Asia and I always bring out the M in the daytime with the 11-22 on it, using it whenever I want wide angle shots(quite often.) I let my wife carry the M and I carry the a7. We are both very happy. At night if my wife wants to shoot, she uses the 22mm f2.
I never use the M at night, the noise is really bad compared to my a7, but in the daytime in good light. the two cameras' photographs are basically indistinguishable.
I have considered buying the 55-200 but the AF is simply too slow to capture birds or many things I would want more reach for. Additionally, I refuse to put any more money in to the M system until Canon shows a little more commitment and releases some new bodies, and the available lenses in the US.
I'm a little troubled by their lack of interest in the M system and wish they would make a body with a viewfinder, a pop up flash and a real AF system.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

DRR

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2015, 09:56:26 AM »

I'm a little troubled by their lack of interest in the M system and wish they would make a body with a viewfinder, a pop up flash and a real AF system.

This is only my opinion...

I tend to get the feeling that the EOS M is only Canon dipping their toes in the water... it's a "beta" camera that will help them decide how/where to take mirrorless in the future.

Truth of the matter is that the time and money Canon has invested in the M system is really in the EF-M mount. The body itself is almost irrelevant at this point. Canon put out a "feeler" body to see what people really consider important and what they don't. Based on the reaction to the M and the M2, maybe they split the mirrorless line and have a line that has an EVF and another without.

Or my theory, they eventually move the Rebel line to all mirrorless with an EF-M mount. It will have an EVF and most Rebel features, and can still take legacy EF and EF-S glass via adapter. Then they can have the EOS-M line be the small, pocketable MILC, where you sacrifice EVF and possibly some performance but gain a much smaller size and weight.

Canon is the elephant of the industry, it is slow to move but when it does you don't want to be in its way. I don't think the M/M2 are serious attempts to dominate the mirrorless industry, they are attempts to establish a new mount and help the company figure out which way it wants to go. Because like an elephant, once you have all that mass moving in one direction, it's very slow to change directions, so it's best to figure out first where you want to be.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2015, 02:35:14 PM »
I suspect Canon has realized the fundamental fact of mirrorless...

It's nowhere without a genuinely usable EVF. Fuji accomplished that with their XT1 so it can be done. Aligning that with an acceptable form factor is the real challenge.

You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2015, 02:35:14 PM »