February 09, 2016, 05:04:38 AM

Author Topic: What Do You Want to See in the EOS M System?  (Read 18157 times)

rrcphoto

• Canon 6D
Re: What Do You Want to See in the EOS M System?
« Reply #240 on: January 25, 2016, 08:33:15 AM »
Not to forget: A mirror box assembly costs around 30-40 dollars,
and the new Epson EVF module seen in the leica SL is likely very
close in price (hard to nail because only direct sales, no distributors
yet), while the display module in the EVF DC1 viewfinder is
estimated at less than 25 dollars.

where exactly did you get those numbers from?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #240 on: January 25, 2016, 08:33:15 AM »

rrcphoto

• Canon 6D
« Reply #241 on: January 25, 2016, 08:37:12 AM »
The next M system, a pro level system should be:

• physical form factor size a bit bigger, like a fuji X-T1
  • Maintain EF-M mount, APS-C sensor
  • Integrated EVF
  • DPAF
  • With this bigger form factor, implement controls, ergonomics of a xxD or xD line. Put a control dial on top just behind the shutter button. A rotating dial on the back. Put the 3 (5D/7D style) or 4 buttons (70D/6D) on top for doing ISO, drive modes, etc. Put a little joystick (5D/7D) for selecting focus points. And of course a dedicated AF button for BBF.

I've said many times that I think APS-C is the sweet spot for mirrorless to gain that advantage of a more compact kit. So I think EF-M is where Canon should continue for now. Save a FF mirrorless for another day. Go for a bit more pro style camera, aka make it a little bigger. And we all love the button/ergo of current DSLR from Canon. Why not implement similar control layout on their next M? The original M was just so stripped down in this regard.

after actually USING the M3 .. which i suspect many havent.  and actually beginning to like the fact that the EVF is articulating, moving to a fixed left side rangefinder EVF or a fixed center slr-lite EVF is a step backward.

I suspect we'll get that as I would imagine something like the G3x is in the works for the M series, however IMO.. it's an idiotic move to just shut up a bunch of whiners and complainers that they didn't get an EVF in the damned box.

the only way the integrated EVF would make sense is something like the GX7/GX8 tilting EVF.

also ANY integrated EVF will make the M alot bigger than it is already, which also removes some of it's charm.  if it's going to get bigger it had better be able to perform.

rrcphoto

• Canon 6D
« Reply #242 on: January 25, 2016, 08:39:20 AM »
Waiting for truly new sensor. Not thrown bone with few more pixels, cheating with added contrast

not sure what you are complaining about here.
"added contrast" you mean adobe's profiles?
i've never heard of a complaint on the M3's sensor in this regard.
the ONLY issue with the M3 sensor is that it was designed for a DSLR, and not  MILC with a short registration distance, so it has corner issues.

otherwise, there's certainly more latitude and better noise handling from that of the 18mp M/M2 sensor.
Me neither, but in some cases, it seems that even JPEGs are slightly more contrasty, right out of the camera. And yes, Adobe profile is waay too much overcooked compared to DLSR profiles. Canon 5DS goes the same way and I don´t like it.
Then add mentioned corner problems, and that´s it - I´m not going to buy new device for full price if it brings some shortcomings to me. I´skipped, waiting for next iteration...

If I process M image and M3 image to taste, M3 doesn´t run anywhere, so it´s not worth the money (regarding sensor) for me. I know I´m not average joe and the device is not intended just for me, but if Canon wants me to buy more gear, they need to do something better. Sony like or Nikon like :-)

well as i'm sure you are aware.. it switched from teh DLSR firmware to powershot.  color science and color defaults also switched to powershot.

with EF-M lenses though, I find the M3 far superior image wise to the M - with the exception of IR. 

the M3 cannot be IR converted at all.

crashpc

• EOS M3
« Reply #243 on: January 25, 2016, 03:36:20 PM »
rrcphoto: things can be done, but far superior? Ugh, no, not really. I have not seen single shot superior in quality to the old M. I had a chance to have M3 for $380 new, and I still skipped.
That powershot thing is really big let down. And what about that small display? They definitely could put bigger one in there. The mechanism has great area for 3,5" if not larger.

dolina

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #244 on: January 25, 2016, 04:13:53 PM »
No need to wait. Just buy into a Sony mirrorless system. It has way more lenses than the EOS M will have. Comes in full frame too!
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

rrcphoto

• Canon 6D
« Reply #245 on: January 26, 2016, 06:35:16 PM »
rrcphoto: things can be done, but far superior? Ugh, no, not really. I have not seen single shot superior in quality to the old M. I had a chance to have M3 for $380 new, and I still skipped.
That powershot thing is really big let down. And what about that small display? They definitely could put bigger one in there. The mechanism has great area for 3,5" if not larger.

well that's your problem.  the M3 for color. excellent with the EF-M lenses.  24 versus 18mp and a finer grained noise structure = WIN.

the lenses react well to DPP + DLO and the resolution difference is most certainly there.

also a little more headroom than the 18mp older sensor.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:37:37 PM by rrcphoto »

yankl

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #246 on: February 08, 2016, 01:57:50 AM »
A built-in EVF, the tech is out there for a good one.
That's the most important thing, Canon please please PLEASE add an EVF to the EOS M4 with some good tracking options.

Also bring back the genius strap holders that where on the EOS M1.

Very important: Why the heck there is a flat cable behind the screen?? this is very vulnerable!! - make the screen without it as the rest of the industry does.

JD

The EOS M system was launched in June 2012 to not much fanfare. It was <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO7rxitFLZg" target="_blank">immediately mocked</a> for perhaps the slowest autofocus in the history of digital cameras. The lack of lenses has also been an issue for the system getting any sort of mainstream acceptance. While Canon has improved the camera from the first iteration up to the current EOS M3, it’s still not a very compelling mirrorless system for a lot of consumers.</p>
<p>I do own the EOS M3 and all of the EF-M lenses, but it’s likely always going to be my last choice walking out the door.</p>
<p>What we want to see in an EOS M camera:</p>
<ul>
<li>A larger camera with better ergonomics</li>
<li>Minimize the number of buttons, some of us have big hands</li>
<li>A built-in EVF, the tech is out there for a good one.</li>
<li>A full frame option in the mirrorless lineup</li>
<li>Find some way to make EF lenses work like they do on a DSLR, this is the hard one.</li>
<li>More native lenses</li>
</ul>
<p>Some people love the EOS M3, and that's cool. If you're happy, I'm happy you're happy. Maybe I'd just like to see the EOS M lineup expanded, more so than flat out replacements of the EOS M3 & EOS M10.</p>
<p>What do you want to see in the EOS M lineup? Do you like the compact size of the current cameras or would you prefer something the size of the Fuji, Sony and Leica offerings?</p>
<p>Sound off in the forum</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 02:22:06 AM by yankl »
Canon 30D, 7D MK2, EF 400mm f/5.6 L, EF 100mm F/2.8, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM
EOS M, EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM,
FD 50mm f/1.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #246 on: February 08, 2016, 01:57:50 AM »