September 23, 2014, 02:47:58 AM

Author Topic: Is it acceptable that 1 out of 5 copies of the 24-70mm II are really great?  (Read 8235 times)

Radiating

• 7D
    • View Profile
Canon is charging twice as much as both the last version and much more than Nikon charges for the 24-70mm II, and by all the data Canon has provided it is a lens that deserves the price tag because it is in a class of it's own in quality, at least in theory.

Unfortunately there have been many early tests that have been extremely dissapointing for the lens MTF wise.

- If you average all the tests that Bryan of The-Digital-Picture.com did, the lens at equal aperture does not even perform better than the 24-105mm IS, which is less than 1/3rd the price.

- If you look at the photozone.de test results, the lens they tested (which is obviously not an ideal copy) performs worse than Nikon's 24-70mm f/2.8, which is much cheaper. In fact it performs within as close as makes no difference (3%) as the Tamron 24-70mm VC on photozone, which is a lens that is half as expensive and has image stabilization.

With that said, after trying 5 copies of the 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark II Bryan from the-digital-picture.com did find a lens that meets it's claims and smashes resolution figures and expecations. A lens worth the price tag. He is very very happy with it now.

What are everyone else's thoughts on the fact that you need to buy 5 copies to get one that meets the hype  Canon gave it and the quality a lens of this price would have one expect?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 12:56:15 PM by Radiating »

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
What are everyone else's thoughts on the fact that you need to buy 5 copies to get one that meets the hype  Canon gave it and the quality a lens of this price would have one expect?

I think that when I get this lens, I'll be giving it some very thorough testing immediately upon receipt...and I'll be hanging on to the packaging...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
I've read the review and test from Lens rentals where they tested several with good results.  I've also read the Digital Picture review, where he bought two lenses, and returned them getting two more for a total of four.
How did you come up with 5?
All 4 sets of images are shown with their images on his site.  From what I can tell, the two replacements were better than the first two.
I can't figure out your statement about one of 5 though.
To answer your question, having to return both lenses to get good copies is unacceptable.  However, most photographers do not have the test capabilities that Bryan has, and will be thrilled with them.
I'm holding off waiting.
As far as Nikon goes, I've had one, and was not impressed at all, so there are poor, good, better, and best samples and Nikon is well known for its sample variation as well.

PackLight

It was 1 in 4 not 1 in 5. Still not acceptable.

But, I wonder what Bryan would charge to sort through several lenses to find me a good one.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
I wonder if this explains the long, unexpected production delay and finally they just gave up and started shipping.
I looked at a few (ended up with more than one to insure I had a copy for a certain shoot), each copy was different. On the plus side, all were better than all three 24-105 I've seen. On the minus none performed the same as any other copy, all placed DOF of the edges and corners, espc. at wider side differently and all had different 70mm wide open center frame performance. Even the worst at any aspect was still good, but for $2300, yeah it would be nice to have everything 100% the best and not this is better but that is worse and that is a little worse and then that is better.

The one I decided to keep in the end is amazing 70mm wide open center frame and pretty good at wide edges and corners (I think, it's hard to tell which is the way the DOF should be placed) although lower left corner might be a touch soft. Maybe 3 more copies and I'd get something perfect in every last regard?? As it is though, it's good enough to dump my 24 1.4 II over and it has the sharpest 70mm f/2.8 center frame I've seen from any lens, so not so bad (70mm far edges are weaker than my 70-300L on this and all the copies looked at though).

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 11:45:30 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

Radiating

• 7D
    • View Profile
I've read the review and test from Lens rentals where they tested several with good results.  I've also read the Digital Picture review, where he bought two lenses, and returned them getting two more for a total of four.

All 4 sets of images are shown with their images on his site.  From what I can tell, the two replacements were better than the first two.
To answer your question, having to return both lenses to get good copies is unacceptable.  However, most photographers do not have the test capabilities that Bryan has, and will be thrilled with them.
I'm holding off waiting.
As far as Nikon goes, I've had one, and was not impressed at all, so there are poor, good, better, and best samples and Nikon is well known for its sample variation as well.

"We now have a properly tuned Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens sample available in the ISO 12233 charts (sample 1)."

I asked him about this, and he stated that he has a 5th copy which replaced the originaly copy #1.

So: Sample #1, #2, #3, #4 & #1 Replacement

Radiating

• 7D
    • View Profile
I wonder if this explains the long, unexpected production delay and finally they just gave up and started shipping.

This is my thinking aswell.

I looked at a few (ended up with more than one to insure I had a copy for a certain shoot), each copy was different. On the plus side, all were better than all three 24-105 I've seen. On the minus none performed the same as any other copy, all placed DOF of the edges and corners, espc. at wider side differently and all had different 70mm wide open center frame performance. Even the worst at any aspect was still good, but for $2300, yeah it would be nice to have everything 100% the best and not this is better but that is worse and that is a little worse and then that is better.

The one I decided to keep in the end is amazing 70mm wide open center frame and pretty good at wide edges and corners (I think, it's hard to tell which is the way the DOF should be placed) although lower left corner might be a touch soft. Maybe 3 more copies and I'd get something perfect in every last regard?? As it is though, it's good enough to dump my 24 1.4 II over and it has the sharpest 70mm f/2.8 center frame I've seen from any lens, so not so bad (70mm far edges are weaker than my 70-300L on this and all the copies looked at though).

I think a lot of people are hoping that this can replace a few primes. How many copies did you go through total?

canon rumors FORUM

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile

This is my thinking as well.

I think a lot of people are hoping that this can replace a few primes. How many copies did you go through total?

I saw three. Two were VERY sharp 70mm 2.8 (one just beyond belief sharp there and even better than the other, an absolute stand out) and one a bit less so, difference can be seen real world (especially comparing best one to the worst one there), the worst was still good though, better than a good tamron 28-75 and at least as good as a 70-200 f/4 IS wide open 70mm (granted that is the weakest spot of the 70-200 f/4 IS). With two of them it was easier to get to deliver sharp 24mm edges in real world scenes, it seemed, and one had seemingly placement of the DOF at 24mm (the one that was inbetween at 70mm f/2.8) that made it a bit trickier (although focused on a chart, re-focused at each spot did well there; all three just placed the DOF around the main center object at different depths at the edges compared to each of the other copies. I probably should have set up a test with boxes at various distance left and right and then focused on something in the center and seen how DOF fell on each side with each since with my complex scenes it was hard to say for sure which copies were placing it in the most expected fashion, it did seem that two of them were a bit easier to get real world shots working as wished).

So it's a little hard to say which were better, for sure, with what I did so far, but I can 100% for sure they are different, different enough to repeatably spot, which probably shouldn't occur at $2300 for a standard zoom. But then again, overall, all still seemed better than all the 24-105 I've seen, certainly at 24mm, all the differences notwithstanding. So the copy variation does seem kinda high for such a lens and yet they all still deliver as well or better in all regards examined so far (and I have not compared much center range at all so far) than any other standard zoom anyway it seems so it's maybe not really as bad as it sounds though in the end when it really comes down to it. All copies could do some pretty amazing things for a zoom.

I didn't look at 35mm edges, looking at TDP, maybe that is something that should also be tested with these.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 12:51:58 AM by LetTheRightLensIn »

PackLight

I'm holding off waiting.

"We now have a properly tuned Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens sample available in the ISO 12233 charts (sample 1)."

I asked him about this, and he stated that he has a 5th copy which replaced the originaly copy #1.

Odd, it isn't the way he explained it in his forum

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile

I'm holding off waiting.

It is confusing, The way he elplained it in the article as I read it is:
Copy 1 is Sample 2, Copy 2 is sample 3, New lens or Copy 1 replacement is Sample 1, and apparently the Copy 2 replacement, or a entirely new lens is Sample 4.
"Copy 1 ("Sample 2") is extremely sharp wide open (f/2.8) across the entire focal length range - until 70mm at f/2.8 where its performance is only average and even trails the original Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens in the center of the frame. An ISO 12233 chart retest of this lens delivered identical results. Real world shooting confirms the test results. This lens is so sharp at the rest of the focal lengths and at 70mm f/4 that I was hesitant to return it."
Copy 1 ("Sample 2") is extremely sharp wide open (f/2.8) across the entire focal length range - until 70mm at f/2.8 where its performance is only average and even trails the original Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens in the center of the frame. An ISO 12233 chart retest of this lens delivered identical results. Real world shooting confirms the test results. This lens is so sharp at the rest of the focal lengths and at 70mm f/4 that I was hesitant to return it.

Update: I have the lens I'm looking for and will complete the review soon. The new lens is represented as "Sample 1" in the ISO 12233 chart results. A forth lens was tested and is presented as "Sample 4".

PackLight

I'm holding off waiting.

It is confusing, The way he elplained it in the article as I read it is:
Copy 1 is Sample 2, Copy 2 is sample 3, New lens or Copy 1 replacement is Sample 1, and apparently the Copy 2 replacement, or a entirely new lens is Sample 4.
"Copy 1 ("Sample 2") is extremely sharp wide open (f/2.8) across the entire focal length range - until 70mm at f/2.8 where its performance is only average and even trails the original Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens in the center of the frame. An ISO 12233 chart retest of this lens delivered identical results. Real world shooting confirms the test results. This lens is so sharp at the rest of the focal lengths and at 70mm f/4 that I was hesitant to return it."
Copy 1 ("Sample 2") is extremely sharp wide open (f/2.8) across the entire focal length range - until 70mm at f/2.8 where its performance is only average and even trails the original Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens in the center of the frame. An ISO 12233 chart retest of this lens delivered identical results. Real world shooting confirms the test results. This lens is so sharp at the rest of the focal lengths and at 70mm f/4 that I was hesitant to return it.

Update: I have the lens I'm looking for and will complete the review soon. The new lens is represented as "Sample 1" in the ISO 12233 chart results. A forth lens was tested and is presented as "Sample 4".

The new ISO's were posted yesterday and it was kind of confusing.

If you quote the notes in the review, I do not think the review has been updated yet. At least it wasn't right before I wrote this post.

This was Bryan's comment on the forums

"After having four of these lenses, I think that the lens listed as Sample 1 is what we should expect from the new 24-70 L II. This is one of the new lenses, but I moved it to the Sample 1 position because this is what the tool shows by default for a lens. The real first and second lenses are listed as Sample 2 and 3. The other new lens is listed as Sample 4. Sorry about the confusion this creates."

So 1 and 4 are the new lens. Looking at the ISO charts the lens looks very nice compared to the old. It sure isn't meeting the standard that was set by other reviewers earlier.

Jesse

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
Can someone please point me in the direction of where Bryan's part II of his review is? It still shows that he is awaiting the arrival of more lenses. And there aren't any pictures.....
5D3, 8-15 f/4 L, 24-70 f/2.8 II L, 50 f/1.4, 70-200 f/4 IS L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8 L, 135 f/2 L 600EX-RT x2, CS6, LR5

PackLight

Can someone please point me in the direction of where Bryan's part II of his review is? It still shows that he is awaiting the arrival of more lenses. And there aren't any pictures.....

He just posted the ISO for the replacements yesterday. It looks like he is still working on it as part I hasn't been updated.

canon rumors FORUM

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
So if you need to go through 5 lenses to find the most bestest lens in the bunch for your current body.... what happens when you switch bodies? Doh!
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Zlatko

I bought one copy and it is really great.

canon rumors FORUM