November 25, 2014, 04:22:28 PM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* Canon EOS-1D X Firmware Update Addresses f/8 & Red AF Points in AI Servo  (Read 20327 times)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
@neuro: EF1.4X III seems excellent. Now, does it come bundled with EF600mm f/4L IS II ?  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS-1D X Firmware Update Addresses f/8 & Red AF Points in AI Servo
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2012, 08:54:19 PM »
What I find most interesting is that you apparently have a trained, pet squirrel!   ;D   Seriously, though, I think the cloudy day made for a better background, even with the additional noise.

LOL. Honestly, I did a double-take when I saw him (or his cousin) on the same perch.

I agree about the background.  The angle was different, too, so there were more gaps in the foliage for the second shot - and they were brighter.

@neuro: EF1.4X III seems excellent. Now, does it come bundled with EF600mm f/4L IS II ?  ;D

It should!  I'm pleased with the results..I'll see how the 2xIII does tomorrow.

In fact, I'm headed to the same spot...I wonder if my friend will pose for a 2x shot.  ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2012, 08:58:44 PM »
What I find most interesting is that you apparently have a trained, pet squirrel!   ;D   Seriously, though, I think the cloudy day made for a better background, even with the additional noise.

LOL. Honestly, I did a double-take when I saw him (or his cousin) on the same perch.

I agree about the background.  The angle was different, too, so there were more gaps in the foliage for the second shot - and they were brighter.

It should!  I'm pleased with the results..I'll see how the 2xIII does tomorrow.

In fact, I'm headed to the same spot...I wonder if my friend will pose for a 2x shot.  ;)
Do you have the EF1.4X II ? I am interested how it compares in practice with version III.
They mention that these 2 are almost the same (maybe with some difference at the corners) and the big difference is between EF2X II and III. 

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2012, 09:04:13 PM »
Do you have the EF1.4X II ? I am interested how it compares in practice with version III.
They mention that these 2 are almost the same (maybe with some difference at the corners) and the big difference is between EF2X II and III.

Sorry, no - had it, but sold it. FWIW, I do have the 2xII, with the 2xIII due to arrive tomorrow morning.  Looking at TDP's ISO 12233 crops, the differences with both 1.4x and 2x II vs. III seem pretty subtle, and IIRC Canon claimed no optical improvement, just AF - could be wrong on that (probably am, marketing wouldn't let that pass, I bet).

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile

Archangel72

• Canon AE-1
  • Amateur on horizon!!! Brace yourselves for impact!
    • View Profile
    • Dreamstime
Thanks Neuro, downloading firmaware NOW!!!  8)
You have a drink when we meet  ;)

Canon EOS 1Dx, 16-35 f2.8 L II, 70-200 f2.8 L II, Extender EF 2x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT, Gitzo 3541L, Ballhead 3780QR, B&W S03 F-PRO Serie E 77mm & 82mm circular polarizer, SANDISK EXTREME PRO 16 GBx2, RODE stereo microphone, TC-80N3 timer cable remote control, Manfrotto PRO VII LINO collection

SDsc0rch

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
yep.. d/l now............
 8)

canon rumors FORUM

Bombsight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
YES!!!!

;D

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2012, 10:48:49 PM »
So the question is, when, in the name of everything, can I download?!

I can't say why I'm recommending this, but I'd strongly recommend trying the 1D X firmware update link again after 9 PM EDT today.

I won't ask, but thanks!  ;D

Ok, so I was wrong, BTW.  It went live at 8:58 PM EDT.   :P

Oh, wait, I stated after 9 PM.  Looks like I was right after all...   ;D

Gcon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
+1 for 5D3 for these tweaks. I'm not terribly fussed about the f/8 option as I'm not a birder / sporter, and don't have any lenses that are f/4 and can be combined with a 2x (unless I get a 1.4x or 2x for my 70-300L).

The red point illumination would be mighty handy though, with the Aussie wedding season about to krank up.

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2012, 10:54:29 AM »

Sorry, no - had it, but sold it. FWIW, I do have the 2xII, with the 2xIII due to arrive tomorrow morning.  Looking at TDP's ISO 12233 crops, the differences with both 1.4x and 2x II vs. III seem pretty subtle, and IIRC Canon claimed no optical improvement, just AF - could be wrong on that (probably am, marketing wouldn't let that pass, I bet).

The Mark III versions of Canon's TC's have marked improvement in the corners and edges. Distortion was the primary improvement (its not eliminated, but definitely less),  and corner reproduction and sharpness is visibly superior on both the 1.4x and 2x III's over the II's.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2012, 11:17:15 AM »
The Mark III versions of Canon's TC's have marked improvement in the corners and edges. Distortion was the primary improvement (its not eliminated, but definitely less),  and corner reproduction and sharpness is visibly superior on both the 1.4x and 2x III's over the II's.

Good to know, thanks.  My 2xIII is down on the loading dock right now...I suppose I could wait for it to be brought up, but maybe I'll mosey on down there.  :)

JH

Good news. But, the Lens EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM isn't supported with EF 2x?

I'm missing the lens here: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS1DX_firmware

JH

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile

I'm missing the lens here: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS1DX_firmware

I'm sure they just left it off the special page...just like they put on a nonexistent lens (the 70-300L is f/4-5.6, not f/4.5-5.6), that isn't really compatible physically even ignoring the typo).

Richard Lane

JH

I beleive they left off the 400mm f/2.8L IS becuse that lens could already focus on the 1DX with the 2X extender prior to the firmware update, because it's max. aperture is only f/5.6.   :)

Rich
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:26:17 PM by Richard Lane »

canon rumors FORUM