? What to celebrate?
For many the 1dx is financially out of reach
Canon dared to release once the 5DMII with the very old AF system of the 5 D meaning from R&D process point of view it took nearly a decade to come up with something better for the 5D series !!!
But what is the better now:
- canon dares again to come up with a sensor on the 5DMIII, wich is marginally better compared to the old model 5DMII
- the AF system misses out a capability already being available on the Nikon 700 e.g. , namely the tracking system making sure you won't loose the phocus on many shots of movement
- thus even if one or the other shot may succeed , you can never be sure and once the 5D III gets the focus wrong in AI SERVO it takes many frames to be in focus again or not at all
- the metering system is not working nicely too - see dpreview comparison 1d MiV vs 5D MIII
- HDR modus
who needs that in professional workflows where CS versions have nice HDR modules
- double exposer, Jesus we did that in analogue times on cams costing as much as 300 Euro
Thus the camera most important for many of us, the new 5D III is nothing else but a model stripped down in the essentials - the last 5D : no good AF , this 5D : no real sensor improvement , no credible movement AF, still incredible long times in Life-View....
Meanwhile we have from competitors other data:
- Sony coming up in the A99 with the 24 MB sensor also used in Nikon 600 - according to DXO optics on the level of a Phase One middle format - noise.... where
- Fuji 1xpro, the APSC sensor delivers even on 6400 photos as cristal sharp and noiseless as a NIKON D4
- Sony delivering cameras with semi-permanent mirror, thus 10 pix / sec , obviously much more effortless
- Sony delivers a permanent live view which focusses fast
So maybe in the one or other report Canon got credits for the 1DX, but besides of that innovation is meanwhile found in other places and the marketing strategy of Canon plays for sure not into the pockets of their clients ...thus one could regret to have once started with that system
With the EOS 1Dx, Canon has the best AF (after the f/8 focusing and black focus point fix), best frame rates, best low light ever, and of course the best pro sensor according to the rumored DxO leaks.
And it sucks for those using lower tiered Canon products with older sensor tech, but Canon's flagship has certainly been crowned the undisputed king of pro bodies. Hopefully now the lower tiered products get the same superior sensor in the future. May be 6D is that breed of new superior sensors coming out. Watch out sonikon, Canon is back with a vengeance!