September 24, 2014, 12:52:55 AM

Author Topic: Canon is on top again!  (Read 18457 times)

nexus

Re: Canon is on top again!
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2012, 11:26:53 AM »
@bightbreath - I saw your site... just by curiosity what you're shooting with ? 5d III? and may i ask what flashes (light modifiers)?
I like the look of your compositions...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2012, 11:26:53 AM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 11:47:01 AM »
Sorry for continuing the off-topic...but WOW, that groom is SHORT!!  :o :P
He was well-educated, emotional and interesting to shoot. So it's not that important (especially taking into consideration the heels bride was on).

The challenge is to shoot people that are by 30-40% different in size. But there is some kind of comic cuteness in this kind of photos too  :)

Totally agree, it is a great photo! The bride is taking a fairly large step, too, which probably negates a lot more than the couple inches she's getting from her heals. Anyway, that was the primary observation I got on the subjects out of the photo...short groom! ;) From what I see on your web site, your work is excellent. Very creative.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

nightbreath

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 02:10:58 PM »
@bightbreath - I saw your site... just by curiosity what you're shooting with ? 5d III? and may i ask what flashes (light modifiers)?
I like the look of your compositions...
It's 5D Mark II :)  We use all available light sources (natural light, natural reflectors, normal reflectors, flashes on top of the camera, off-camera flashes, umbrellas, soft-boxes) depending on light conditions  :)
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2012, 01:32:56 AM »
He was well-educated, emotional and interesting to shoot. So it's not that important (especially taking into consideration the heels bride was on).

The challenge is to shoot people that are by 30-40% different in size. But there is some kind of comic cuteness in this kind of photos too  :)
This cyan cast look  looks like went  from  the dark room to my first film scanner in the beginning 1990, and cyan cast was a  very common results.

Ok.  Can you show us some very good samples of your work also?  It would be really interesting to see your work of art and that of other professionals here.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 01:40:00 AM by verysimplejason »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 01:58:05 AM »

This cyan cast look  looks like went  from  the dark room to my first film scanner in the beginning 1990, and cyan cast was a  very common results.

Ok.  Can you show us some very good samples of your work also?  It would be really interesting to see your work of art and that of other professionals here.

Hmm. This will be interesting. I'm betting on junky comparison images taken with the 5D II, possibly the 7D and a variety of Exmore-inside DSLR's...mostly from Nikon. I'll also predict uberstops (yes, technical term) of unrealistic shadow lifting in unrealistic scenarios.  8)
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 05:12:22 AM »
I dont like the cyan cast. Looks so unnatural to me.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2012, 05:40:56 AM »
I have told nightbreath that I like his pictures and now when I describe that he's last ones (with blue/cyan cast) looks like a result I got many years ago with the first film scanner  -  many of you think it  was a negative response.
keep things separate please.

No negative response for me.  I just want to see your work.  Is it bad to see any photos from you?  If I ask Neuro for example, he'll readily show it to me.  I admit, I'm not a professional and I'm always craving to see professional's work.  Maybe I can derive some inspiration from you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2012, 05:40:56 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2012, 05:45:17 AM »
I dont like the cyan cast. Looks so unnatural to me.

I agree with you but it really depends on personal style and how do you want to convey your work.  I think he did it to emphasize the mood though of course, this is just my opinion.

Fishnose

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2012, 07:31:09 AM »
Great pictures, Mikael.

Fascinating, isn't it - everybody puked on you and demanded pro images, apparently not expecting any.
And when you produce, they all shut up and dissolve into the woodwork lol....  ;)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2012, 08:23:25 AM »
Fascinating, isn't it - people get bored with trolling comments, responses wane, and it's misinterpreted.  ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2012, 11:35:56 PM »
Thanks Mikael.  My point is, You don't actually need that "fabulous" camera in order to take these pictures.  Right?  Canon admittedly doesn't have a DR that is up to recent Nikon's (or Sony's) technology.  But so what?  Any camera as long as you know its limitations can take good pictures.  Are you convincing us to buy Nikon instead?  For most of us, it doesn't matter.  I like Canon's button arrangement and access to other functionality better than Nikon.  For some reason, I also happen to like Canon's lenses better than Nikon except the 18-55mm.  :)  That can be reason enough to buy Canon.  For some it's not.  Of course, if somebody just give me a Nikon D800 for example, I will accept it wholeheartedly but without lenses, I'll gladly exchange it with a 5D2 + lenses or a 5D3.  I think that reflects what most fellow photographers here are feeling.  Only a few here that are already well invested in a system will think of DR or ISO or MP as their most singular reason to switch systems.  If you're a new user then the decision will change a lot but saying that, there are still other things beyond the sensor to consider.

Fishnose

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2012, 04:48:05 AM »
Fascinating, isn't it - people get bored with trolling comments, responses wane, and it's misinterpreted.  ::)

LOL, Mikael is hardly a troll. Slightly abrasive maybe.
If that's your definition of a troll you haven't spent much time on the web.

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2012, 07:14:29 AM »
With the EOS 1Dx, Canon has the best AF (after the f/8 focusing and black focus point fix), best frame rates, best low light ever, and of course the best pro sensor according to the rumored DxO leaks.

And it sucks for those using lower tiered Canon products with older sensor tech, but Canon's flagship has certainly been crowned the undisputed king of pro bodies. Hopefully now the lower tiered products get the same superior sensor in the future. May be 6D is that breed of new superior sensors coming out. Watch out sonikon, Canon is back with a vengeance!

looooool.... yes Canon 1Dx is better in terms of features packed in the camera ( like frame rate, AF, etc...) but is not better than Nikon ( D4) in high ISO performance...

Regarding the lower pro bodies like D800 vs 5D3 and D600 vs 6D ( witch is a joke) Nikon definitely wins ( from my business point of view).

If Canon release the Megapixel monster in a 1D body at a astronomic price (over 1Dx).... than definitely my next camera will be the king of all around FF.... Nikon D800.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2012, 07:14:29 AM »

dslr-preview

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2012, 08:07:59 AM »
? What to celebrate?

For many the 1dx is financially out of reach
Canon dared to release once the 5DMII with the very old AF system of the 5 D meaning from R&D process point of view it took nearly a decade to come up with something better for the 5D series !!!

But what is the better now:

- canon dares again to come up with a sensor on the 5DMIII, wich is marginally better compared to the old model 5DMII
- the AF system misses out a capability already being available on the Nikon 700 e.g. , namely the tracking system making sure you won't loose the phocus on many shots of movement
- thus even if one or the other shot may succeed , you can never be sure and once the 5D III gets the focus wrong in AI SERVO it takes many frames to be in focus again or not at all
- the metering system is not working nicely too - see dpreview comparison 1d MiV vs 5D MIII

- HDR modus ??? who needs that in professional workflows where CS versions have nice HDR modules
- double exposer, Jesus we did that in analogue times on cams costing as much as 300 Euro

Thus the camera most important for many of us, the new 5D III is nothing else but a model stripped down in the essentials - the last 5D : no good AF , this 5D : no real sensor improvement , no credible movement AF, still incredible long times in Life-View....

Meanwhile we have from competitors other data:
- Sony coming up in the A99 with the 24 MB sensor also used in Nikon 600 - according to DXO optics on the level of a Phase One middle format - noise.... where
- Fuji 1xpro, the APSC sensor delivers even on 6400 photos as cristal sharp and noiseless as a NIKON D4
- Sony delivering cameras with semi-permanent mirror, thus 10 pix / sec , obviously much more effortless
- Sony delivers a permanent live view which focusses fast

So maybe in the one or other report Canon got credits for the 1DX, but besides of that innovation is meanwhile found in other places and the marketing strategy of Canon plays for sure not into the pockets of their clients ...thus one could regret to have once started with that system

With the EOS 1Dx, Canon has the best AF (after the f/8 focusing and black focus point fix), best frame rates, best low light ever, and of course the best pro sensor according to the rumored DxO leaks.

And it sucks for those using lower tiered Canon products with older sensor tech, but Canon's flagship has certainly been crowned the undisputed king of pro bodies. Hopefully now the lower tiered products get the same superior sensor in the future. May be 6D is that breed of new superior sensors coming out. Watch out sonikon, Canon is back with a vengeance!

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2012, 08:23:46 AM »
? What to celebrate?

For many the 1dx is financially out of reach
Canon dared to release once the 5DMII with the very old AF system of the 5 D meaning from R&D process point of view it took nearly a decade to come up with something better for the 5D series !!!

But what is the better now:

- canon dares again to come up with a sensor on the 5DMIII, wich is marginally better compared to the old model 5DMII
- the AF system misses out a capability already being available on the Nikon 700 e.g. , namely the tracking system making sure you won't loose the phocus on many shots of movement
- thus even if one or the other shot may succeed , you can never be sure and once the 5D III gets the focus wrong in AI SERVO it takes many frames to be in focus again or not at all
- the metering system is not working nicely too - see dpreview comparison 1d MiV vs 5D MIII

- HDR modus ??? who needs that in professional workflows where CS versions have nice HDR modules
- double exposer, Jesus we did that in analogue times on cams costing as much as 300 Euro

Thus the camera most important for many of us, the new 5D III is nothing else but a model stripped down in the essentials - the last 5D : no good AF , this 5D : no real sensor improvement , no credible movement AF, still incredible long times in Life-View....

Meanwhile we have from competitors other data:
- Sony coming up in the A99 with the 24 MB sensor also used in Nikon 600 - according to DXO optics on the level of a Phase One middle format - noise.... where
- Fuji 1xpro, the APSC sensor delivers even on 6400 photos as cristal sharp and noiseless as a NIKON D4
- Sony delivering cameras with semi-permanent mirror, thus 10 pix / sec , obviously much more effortless
- Sony delivers a permanent live view which focusses fast

So maybe in the one or other report Canon got credits for the 1DX, but besides of that innovation is meanwhile found in other places and the marketing strategy of Canon plays for sure not into the pockets of their clients ...thus one could regret to have once started with that system

As a 10 years Canon user.....unfortunately i must agree with you.

Canon has and still have the best quality lenses .... but the bodies are under competition ( with the exception of 1Dx)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2012, 08:23:46 AM »