July 25, 2014, 09:05:01 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 1.1.1 Now Available  (Read 9157 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 1.1.1 Now Available
« on: October 17, 2012, 09:22:09 PM »

EOS-1D X Firmware 1.1.1 Available for Download

To support the needs of wedding, portrait, sports, wildlife, and theatrical performance photographers working in low light, AF points in the EOS-1D X’s viewfinder can now be illuminated in red with a half-press of the shutter in AI Servo AF mode, for easy viewing of the selected point. Illumination is intermittent, not continuous, and does not interfere with metering accuracy. Two brightness levels are available for the most suitable level of illumination in dark settings and illumination is fully compatible with the range of focus points and focus zone selection options on the EOS-1D X.

For best results, the following additional menu settings are suggested when using AF Point Illumination in AI Servo AF mode with Firmware Ver. 1.1.1:

1. AF Point Display During Focus should be set to the first option, Selected (constant). This setting will allow the camera to display the selected focusing point while the shutter button is pressed halfway.

2. Optionally, AI Servo 1st Image Priority can be set to Focus Priority to ensure that focus is achieved before the shutter is released.

3. If you wish to recompose the image after focusing in AI Servo AF, use the EOS-1D X Custom Control menu to change the setting for half-press of the shutter button from “Metering and AF Start” to “Metering Start.” This will allow you to control focusing with the AF-ON button. Once you are satisfied with the focus, lift your thumb off the AF-ON button, recompose and shoot.

Crosstype AF Available for Maximum Apertures as Small as f/8

Ideal for wildlife photographers and others who often use Canon EF super-telephoto lenses with extenders, the new firmware allows cross-type autofocusing with the center AF point when the maximum aperture becomes as small as f/8. This new feature greatly expands the range of EF lens/extender combinations that support autofocus when used with the EOS-1D X. Please refer to the list of compatible lenses below.

If AF point expansion is selected with an f/8 maximum aperture lens/extender combination, the four AF points surrounding the center point will act as AF Assist points. This option effectively expands the size of the AF detection area to enhance autofocus performance with subjects that appear small in the viewfinder and difficult to track, such as small animals and birds in flight. AF points above and below the center will be sensitive to vertical contrast, while points to the left and right will be sensitive to horizontal contrast.

Download the EOS-1DX Firmware 1.1.1

Canon EOS-1D X at B&H | Amazon | Adorama | Norman Camera

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 1.1.1 Now Available
« on: October 17, 2012, 09:22:09 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 1.1.1 Now Available
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 09:35:31 PM »
I notice on the splash page, http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS1DX_firmware, that the first lens listed as newly compatible with the 1.4x is the 70-300L. WTF? The two aren't physically compatible.  Does Canon want to boost service revenue by repairing broken elements?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

kentnish

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 09:37:17 PM »
Wish they'd push out a similar update for the 5D Mark III

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 10:04:08 PM »
Not thrilled with the red dots, they just flash red very short and they even keep flashing after I release the shutter. The flash is so short that is really not much difference with having it off....
1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

exphose

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 10:20:57 PM »
So I updated mine and I'm not too sure about the Illumination. They didn't mention that it would flash and flicker. This is particularly annoying because the lcd overlay means the whole VF tints red slightly including the AF in lower right and the grid if you have that on.

The 1D3 did this much better and brighter without being annoying but I suspect this is a compromise due to the design of the overlay.

I'm not sure now if i'll leave it enabled or not....

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 10:38:21 PM »
I notice on the splash page, http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS1DX_firmware, that the first lens listed as newly compatible with the 1.4x is the 70-300L. WTF? The two aren't physically compatible.  Does Canon want to boost service revenue by repairing broken elements?

It's compatible if you use a Kenko.  ;)  ;D

Maybe someone from Kenko marketing infiltrated Canon  ;D.

Virgil Quick

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 10:38:53 PM »
I think I remember several months ago Canon saying when this fix was released that it would not make everyone happy.  True statement however I believe it is better than nothing.  The flashing will take some getting use to.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 10:38:53 PM »

Erik S. Klein

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 11:13:11 PM »
So I updated mine and I'm not too sure about the Illumination. They didn't mention that it would flash and flicker. This is particularly annoying because the lcd overlay means the whole VF tints red slightly including the AF in lower right and the grid if you have that on.

Yep.  I'm in the same boat.  I'll keep it enabled for a bit, but I may just turn it off.

In the end they only fixed one of my two reported issues (beyond AF point highlights and F8 autofocus.)

When's the next update coming? :D

gunna64

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 11:39:17 PM »
OK  - so when will the 5D3 be updated .... or will it?

coltsfreak18

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 12:09:46 AM »

Yep.  I'm in the same boat.  I'll keep it enabled for a bit, but I may just turn it off.

In the end they only fixed one of my two reported issues (beyond AF point highlights and F8 autofocus.)

When's the next update coming? :D
What's your third issue?

I find this a welcome firmware update not just for its support for two asked for features, but for its indication that Canon is actually concerned about its professional market.  I have yet to install the update and test out F/8 autofocus and "fixed" servo points, but I am optimistic about Canon's support for the customer.

That said--they need to embrace ML and its development, which is absolutely amazing.

Portrait_Moments_Photogra

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 12:27:53 AM »
tested it - more like DISCO LIGHTS to me :(

and it also blinks about 15 times after you lift the shutter button.

Dear Canon - I only need to see the AF confirmation twice - not 15 times and make it BRIGHT - not Disco Lights.

~ Also, I noticed that when this new feature is enabled - during AF Servo - the Lens (70-200 IS 2.8 V2) will consistently focus hunt on dim areas and when switched back to Single Shoot - it locks AF without a problem.

I just hope this NEW f/8 feature is REALLY what it says it is. AF performance-wise.

Erik S. Klein

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 12:47:37 AM »
What's your third issue?

File sync on cards.

Specifically: I have mine set up to write RAW to card 1, JPG to card 2.  When I don't like a shot I hit the delete and it deletes  only the RAW (deletes only happen on the card selected for playback.)  At the end of a shoot, if I did any in-camera trash collection, I have more .JPG shots than RAW shots.  On import, the numbering sequence is all messed up and RAW15 may correspond to .JPG17...

Or I have to switch the playback card and delete the same image again.

I documented it and explained it in depth to Canon support.  They agree it's an issue, albeit a fairly minor one, but it should be fixed, IMO.

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 01:18:27 AM »
OK  - so when will the 5D3 be updated .... or will it?

That's something I'd like to see as well.  Given that no Canon digital body below the 1D series has ever supported f/8 AF, I wonder if that is wishful thinking.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 01:18:27 AM »

Peter Dawson

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 02:08:29 AM »
Couldn't agree more on the lack of CF card file sync annoyance.

heptagon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 02:23:43 AM »

You could us an extension tube between lens and extender for macro photography.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 02:23:43 AM »