October 22, 2014, 10:50:13 PM

Author Topic: Suggested upgrade path?  (Read 4134 times)

Marine03

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Suggested upgrade path?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 02:43:02 PM »
Current kit consists of 450D, Nifty 50, 2 Old Sigma lenses pre digital,  kit 18-55 and Yunguno 565ex.   

I do family portraits and christmas cards for friends etc, as well as an wedding as 2nd shooter.  I've done 6 this year.   

Looking at the 6D as my next body as with event photography I totally see the limits of the 450 and need better High Iso performance.     

So would it be alright to do Body and then down the road Tamron 24-70 since its half the cost of Canon 24-70L2 I know glass is a  big limiting factor in image quality but if I could only afford 1 big purchase a year what would you choose?  Camera then glass or Glass and then camera.

Glass, then camera. Lens prices creep up, body prices creep down...

If you really value money and intend to do photography for a very long time, I suggest investing on a "system" lens which for our part is Canon unless you're fine with a fully manual lens.  Canon bodies does not and will not support third party lenses.

What do you mean that Canon bodies do not support 3rd party lenses?  I know they will work, so is it a mater of  preinstalled CA adjustments?
6D, 450D(collecting dust), Nifty Fifty, 565EX Flash

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 02:43:02 PM »

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 03:20:05 PM »
Current kit consists of 450D, Nifty 50, 2 Old Sigma lenses pre digital,  kit 18-55 and Yunguno 565ex.   

I do family portraits and christmas cards for friends etc, as well as an wedding as 2nd shooter.  I've done 6 this year.   

Looking at the 6D as my next body as with event photography I totally see the limits of the 450 and need better High Iso performance.     

So would it be alright to do Body and then down the road Tamron 24-70 since its half the cost of Canon 24-70L2 I know glass is a  big limiting factor in image quality but if I could only afford 1 big purchase a year what would you choose?  Camera then glass or Glass and then camera.

I would do glass first, especially if you're considering buying a newly released body. If you go body first, what lenses are you going to use with it ?

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 04:48:45 PM »

If you really value money and intend to do photography for a very long time, I suggest investing on a "system" lens which for our part is Canon unless you're fine with a fully manual lens.  Canon bodies does not and will not support third party lenses.

What do you mean that Canon bodies do not support 3rd party lenses?  I know they will work, so is it a mater of  preinstalled CA adjustments?

the support for the 3rd party lens is not given by canon but from the manufacturer of the lens; i use just sigma lenses at both of them works flawlessy with 450d,50d and 7d.

but in a future camera the lens would not work anymore; in that case the manufacturer of the lens will supply a rechip
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

TeenTog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Teen Tog
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 09:42:50 PM »
I would most certainly go glass then cmaera...... its hard if you have a nice FF but nothing to go with it! As for 3rd party, the tamron 24-70 is great but i would also go for something wider such as a 17-40 (Canon). The 17-40 isnt all that big of a purchase compared to the 6D or the 24-70, but it should still be done. ;) finally, get a longer reaching lens as well. Either sigmas or tamrons 70-200s are pretty good, so I would opt for one of those too.

Canon EOS 6D: $2099
Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 DI VC USD: $1299
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di-II LD: $499
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM:$1250

Total price: $5147- not bad compared to if you bought all canon, which would be about $6800ish
Rebel T3, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6, EF 50mm f/1.8, 430EX II, Nikon EL 2, Assorted Nikkor primes

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 11:52:19 PM »

the support for the 3rd party lens is not given by canon but from the manufacturer of the lens; i use just sigma lenses at both of them works flawlessy with 450d,50d and 7d.

but in a future camera the lens would not work anymore; in that case the manufacturer of the lens will supply a rechip

Yup.  That's the thing.  E.g., You can't complain with Canon that your Tokina lenses aren't working anymore with the new cameras.  You have to take it to Tokina.  That said, it's still up to you.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 01:06:08 PM »

5Dc/5D2/5D3 are the best options. Pick yours based on your budget.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 01:06:08 PM »