August 28, 2014, 07:20:35 AM

Author Topic: Red AF in AI-Servo fixed in 1D-X before 5D Mk III  (Read 7588 times)

se7en

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Red AF in AI-Servo fixed in 1D-X before 5D Mk III
« on: October 18, 2012, 03:12:43 AM »
Why do you think this was addressed earlier than the 5d mark III, despite the 5d being released "long" before the 1dx?

The simple answer would be: The 1dx costs more. "Professionals" demand it. etc.

But I don't think there are too many amateurs running around out there with $3000 bodies.

I was relatively unconcerned with the large amount of discontent with the 5d mark iii preformance, personally feeling that the camera fit its role.

I am, however; utterly pissed that Canon chose to overlook the fact that there are thousands of 5d mk3 users out there that have demanded, more or less, that the AF in AI Servo be changed through a simple firmware update, and instead, offer it to the 1dx that has been out for a fraction of the time.

I love Canon, but this really irks me, maybe unjustifiably, but irks me none the less, and where better to rant than cr?

Grrrrr.

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
Re: Red AF in AI-Servo fixed in 1D-X before 5D Mk III
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 03:17:46 AM »
Why do you think this was addressed earlier than the 5d mark III, despite the 5d being released "long" before the 1dx?

But I don't think there are too many amateurs running around out there with $3000 bodies.

I was relatively unconcerned with the large amount of discontent with the 5d mark iii preformance, personally feeling that the camera fit its role.

I am, however; utterly pissed that Canon chose to overlook the fact that there are thousands of 5d mk3 users out there that have demanded, more or less, that the AF in AI Servo be changed through a simple firmware update, and instead, offer it to the 1dx that has been out for a fraction of the time.

I love Canon, but this really irks me, maybe unjustifiably, but irks me none the less, and where better to rant than cr?

Grrrrr.

I'm sure canon will get around to the 5d3 eventually. Hopefully.

Or not. Force us to upgrade to the 1dx. Make more money. You know, canon's usual. Or should I say, a sane company's usual.
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

se7en

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 03:35:46 AM »

Grrrrr.

Or not. Force us to upgrade to the 1dx. Make more money. You know, canon's usual. Or should I say, a sane company's usual.

All the while Nikon has a full body sensor, with greater DR, MP and arguably equal high-ISO performance, for less than the 5d Mark III? If they are truly that pompous, I don't see myself sticking with Canon for the long haul. I do, truly value good technology, and will pay top dollar for it. I won't pay top dollar for sub-performing, support lacking "technology" though. We are not, after all, talking about turning the 5d Mark III into the hubble F______ telescope, simply changing the AF focus point color. Something that should have been dealt with by Canon months ago.

Instead, we are sitting here reading this grandiose announcement about the "improvement" to a $7,000 camera that should have been default, had Canon done any decent amount of testing with decent photographers. An "improvement" that should have been a no-brainer for all of their DSLRs, not just their top of the line SLR. I repeat, pompous. Pompous crooks.

This is a slap in the face of consumers, and only makes the D800 that much more appealing.

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 04:55:54 AM »
I just hope Canon do the same fix for the 5dIII - SOON!
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

kasperj

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Kasper Johansson Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 04:56:44 AM »
I couldn't have said it better

Never mind the AF at f.8 limited tele lenses, just correct the red illumination issue already!

Grr
kasperjohansson.smugmug.com
kasperjohansson.com

petrosv

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 05:04:24 AM »
Canon, red in 5d3 it's so simple!!!!!!!!!

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 05:39:45 AM »
I think it makes perfect sense that they put it in their flagship pro model first. If it had been the other way round, that would have been strange imho.

But like someone said, I am sure they will get round to the 5D Mark III eventually. If you read the 1D X threads the red AF is not really what many users were hoping for, there is talk of "Disco Lights" and other things, so maybe you should feel grateful you haven't got it!! ;-)
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Eimajm

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 07:11:23 AM »

I wouldn't count on it, they never bothered with the 7D.

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 07:20:14 AM »
If you read the 1D X threads the red AF is not really what many users were hoping for, there is talk of "Disco Lights" and other things, so maybe you should feel grateful you haven't got it!! ;-)
That's why canon should put it into 5D3 first, get all the feedbacks. It's not such a good idea to let flagship's users to test this function.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 07:26:27 AM »
I couldn't have said it better

Never mind the AF at f.8 limited tele lenses, just correct the red illumination issue already!

Grr
Why only the red illumination issue only? The fact that you do not care want it does not mean that others do not want it fixed!
It is a 3.5K camera not a 600$ one.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 07:42:57 AM »

Grr

Nevermind the red illumination issue, just let me AF at f/8 already!

Grr

Oh, wait...they did (for me). 

Yay

;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 08:21:59 AM »
If you read the 1D X threads the red AF is not really what many users were hoping for, there is talk of "Disco Lights" and other things, so maybe you should feel grateful you haven't got it!! ;-)
That's why canon should put it into 5D3 first, get all the feedbacks. It's not such a good idea to let flagship's users to test this function.

No, but that is why Canon should do more tests before it launches a "flagship". That, and the fact it does not sync the data on the two cards, is really quite remarkable considering it is a US$ 6,XXX camera that is supposed to represent all that is good with Canon DSLRs. They even forgot the headphone jack as well! Just shows how forgiving Canon users are.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

InterMurph

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 08:30:29 AM »
a simple firmware update
There is no such thing as a "simple" firmware update.

Software is complicated.  Adding features without breaking anything else is very difficult.  And verifying software is unbelievably difficult.

Some are better at it than others.  But you definitely want "correct" much more than you want "soon".

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 08:33:35 AM »
You guys have to realise that there might be other things to fix also with the 5D3, there is no point rolling out a firmware for the Red Points, to only roll out another later, Chill, the 2 cameras are different, I actually agree that the people who have paid 5k should and get a fix earlier if it can be made, remember in Canons eyes the 1Dx's are being used on field with Pro photographers and they need an update fast.

The 5D3s turn will come, also with other fixes, relax

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 08:50:54 AM »
...the fact it does not sync the data on the two cards...

Personally, I'd rather it didn't.  I can see the logic of syncing when shooting RAW to one card and JPG to the other, which I suppose many 5DIII users may do because writing RAW to the SD card is a speed bottleneck.  But on the 1D X, with dual CF, I write RAW to both cards - slot 2 is a backup, and just stays in the camera until the images transferred from card 1 are processed and backed up in multiple locations.  Much like the two-step delete on most computer OS's (nove to trash, empty trash), having 'deleted' files on a backup card may be useful at some point, and simply copying them off card 2 is easier than file recovery from card 1.

But that's me.  I hope that if Canon does implement this 'fix' they make it a controllable behavior.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses