October 20, 2014, 09:35:34 PM

Author Topic: Red AF in AI-Servo fixed in 1D-X before 5D Mk III  (Read 7972 times)

bbasiaga

• EOS M2
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
Re: Red AF in AI-Servo fixed in 1D-X before 5D Mk III
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 08:52:14 AM »
I know it shouldn't by now, but it always surprises me when people take this stuff personally....

Its been pretty good to see some features being added via firmware to the 7D and now 1DX.  I'm sure we'll get something for the 5DIII eventually.  In the mean time I'll just have to resign myself to thoroughly enjoying the most versatile camera I have ever owned.  Darn those Canon b@stards. :)

-Brian

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 08:52:14 AM »

Bombsight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 08:56:19 AM »
You get what you pay for .... never fails.

Funny how the 5DMK3 owners couldnt be happier with the decision they made not long ago (5DMK3 instead of "overpiced 1DX) .... Now, all of a sudden, the monetarily ugly child in the family gets a little exra attention and the pretty daughters start whinning.  ::)

Happy with MY decision of a 1DX ... and throwing it back on all of those who blasted it for one reason or another.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 09:32:52 AM »
Personally, I'd rather it didn't.  I can see the logic of syncing when shooting RAW to one card and JPG to the other, which I suppose many 5DIII users may do because writing RAW to the SD card is a speed bottleneck.  But on the 1D X, with dual CF, I write RAW to both cards - slot 2 is a backup, and just stays in the camera until the images transferred from card 1 are processed and backed up in multiple locations.  Much like the two-step delete on most computer OS's (nove to trash, empty trash), having 'deleted' files on a backup card may be useful at some point, and simply copying them off card 2 is easier than file recovery from card 1.

But that's me.  I hope that if Canon does implement this 'fix' they make it a controllable behavior.

Even the best photographers take bad pictures from time to time. If you know for a fact that you want to delete picture 111 from CF1, then it should be deleted from CF2 as well. Otherwise you end up with files that you do not need or want. Those files take up space on your back up HDs and while one or two may not make a difference, they will soon begin to add up. Plus, it is a question of time. If you know for a fact that picture 111 is a throw then, it saves you time to make that decision just once, and on the camera.

At the end of the day it is a flasghip camera so it should be customisable, so I do agree that when they do implement this "fix" they allow users to choose how the delete works.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 10:13:36 AM »
Even the best photographers take bad pictures from time to time. If you know for a fact that you want to delete picture 111 from CF1, then it should be deleted from CF2 as well. Otherwise you end up with files that you do not need or want. Those files take up space on your back up HDs and while one or two may not make a difference, they will soon begin to add up. Plus, it is a question of time. If you know for a fact that picture 111 is a throw then, it saves you time to make that decision just once, and on the camera.

At the end of the day it is a flasghip camera so it should be customisable, so I do agree that when they do implement this "fix" they allow users to choose how the delete works.

Oh, I delete plenty of images.  :P  My point is that for my workflow, not deleting the image from CF2 at the same time has no negative impact (because I don't transfer images from that card normally, it's only in case CF1 fails), and might have a positive impact if I accidentally delete an image I shouldn't have deleted, it's still there on CF2.

But I absolutely agree that it should be customizable - that way, everyone gets what they want.  I am just expressing a hope that Canon doesn't apply an irreversible fix for a problem I don't currently have, and thereby create a potential problem for me.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 10:15:19 AM »

Funny how the 5DMK3 owners couldnt be happier with the decision they made not long ago (5DMK3 instead of "overpiced 1DX) .... Now, all of a sudden, the monetarily ugly child in the family gets a little exra attention and the pretty daughters start whinning.  ::)

Happy with MY decision of a 1DX ... and throwing it back on all of those who blasted it for one reason or another.
So 5DMK3 is a cheap camera that does not have to be updated?

spinworkxroy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 10:20:06 AM »
I honestly doubt Canon updated the 1DX because people asked for it..well maybe partitally.
it's about matching your competition..
The 1dX's competition is the Nikon D4 and the 1DX beats it in every aspect except the f8 autofocusing…

On the other hand Nikon doesn't have anything to match the 5D3 in what it was made to do.
And Canon doesn't yet anything to match the D800 in what that does. To me, they're both not cameras to be compared with..same price but not same purpose.
So having said that, updating the 1DX, not only because it's the pro's camera but because it has to be the best Pro camera out there and this update confirmed it even more.

The 5D3 on the other hand, i doubt Canon will update it..there's no need to improve something that there's no competition for...

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »
Canon wouldn't provide firmware upgrades the way they did for the 7D and the 1D-X, if they weren't dedicated to deliver to their customer base, irrespective of competition, because I don't see any competition for the 7D.

The f8 issue, although quite important for me, isn't everyone's cup of tea, especially since f8 autofocus has previously been available in 1-series cameras anyway, so I think this fix still applies to 1-series only.

Fixing the black and now flashing red focus point issue is important for both 1D-X and 5D Mark III users, so you can expect something like this coming up in a 5D Mark III firmware update as well.

Maybe the solution for the 5D Mark III focus points will even be better than the one provided for the 1D-X, because Canon can react to the initial 1D-X user experiences. In any case I don't see any reason to whine about 5D Mark III users not receiving an update. I expect it is only a matter of time, so get your hopes up!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
I don't know why people still complain about the price difference between the 5DIII & D800.  They are totally two different cameras.  If they were pretty much identical then you'd have an argument.  I feel totally satisfied paying a bit more for better AF, ISO and FPS.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

bigmag13

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 11:11:25 AM »
I know it shouldn't by now, but it always surprises me when people take this stuff personally....

Its been pretty good to see some features being added via firmware to the 7D and now 1DX.  I'm sure we'll get something for the 5DIII eventually.  In the mean time I'll just have to resign myself to thoroughly enjoying the most versatile camera I have ever owned.  Darn those Canon b@stards. :)

-Brian

+1
5D3,5D2,6D,70-200 2.8Lii, 135L, 24-70Lii, Sigma 15 fisheye, Sigma 35 1.4(A), Zeiss 2/50, 600rt x3 and a st-e3 RT

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 11:13:11 AM »
a simple firmware update
There is no such thing as a "simple" firmware update.

Software is complicated.  Adding features without breaking anything else is very difficult.  And verifying software is unbelievably difficult.

Some are better at it than others.  But you definitely want "correct" much more than you want "soon".
+1 +1 and +1

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 11:29:27 AM »
I couldn't have said it better

Never mind the AF at f.8 limited tele lenses, just correct the red illumination issue already!

Grr

I totally agree. The 5DIII is a $3500 camera body. Let me say that AGAIN. The 5DIII is a $3500 camera body!
It is touted as an exceptional tool to make images with. The feature should be there in THIS camera body. Period.
The fact that this feature was changed/overlooked is embarrassing. ...but then Canon has been doing a LOT of embarrassing things lately and overcharging for them, too. Take the "M" for instance...........
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

Bombsight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 12:01:19 PM »

I dont know about the "Updated" part but, back when all of the new 5D3 owners felt like they got a great deal because there was only a 1-1.5 stop difference between the 5D3 and the 1DX .... and it was an unnecessary expense for frame rate only, the 5D3 owners thought they stole something from Canon.  ::)

I see a lot of 5D3's being sold soon if Canon says no to the "pretty daughters".
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:04:30 PM by Bombsight »

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »

I dont know about the "Updated" part but, back when all of the new 5D3 owners felt like they got a great deal because there was only a 1-1.5 stop difference between the 5D3 and the 1DX .... and it was an unnecessary expense for frame rate only, the 5D3 owners thought they stole something from Canon.  ::)

I see a lot of 5D3's being sold soon if Canon says no to the "pretty daughters".

Don't make assumptions, I wasn't one of those people.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 12:19:20 PM »

The 1Dx does not offer only 1stop of improvement. It offers speed and reliability and these are what a professional photographer needs.

I do not know (or care) in which thread these declarations were made and how many people had written so.
However, your comments imply a kind of satisfaction and "revenge" (couldn't think of a more suitable word, I apologize for that) and they are rather childish. They do not even seem to come from a photographer. Enjoy your 1Dx

dawgfanjeff

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Site:
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 01:39:23 PM »
a simple firmware update
There is no such thing as a "simple" firmware update.

Software is complicated.  Adding features without breaking anything else is very difficult.  And verifying software is unbelievably difficult.

Some are better at it than others.  But you definitely want "correct" much more than you want "soon".
+1 +1 and +1
Very true.  As somebody who manages an enterprise dev shop in a Fortune 100, I certainly appreciate the costs of gathering requirements, performing development, validating in QA, user acceptance testing, etc...  It's certainly not as simple as just turning something on and posting the new fw to the website and being done with it.  As with anything, the hard part is making it look easy.
As a 5DIII owner, I certainly appreciate why Canon targeted the 1DX first.  Those users pay, in part, for the privilege of getting fixes and updates first.  If i were a IDx user, I'd be scratching my head ad the 5DIII users getting it first. 
5DIII, | 100 2.8 Macro | 24-105L | 16-35 f/4L
70-200 f/4L IS | 50 1.4 | 10-22 (for sale!)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 01:39:23 PM »