September 21, 2014, 08:24:40 PM

Author Topic: Red AF in AI-Servo fixed in 1D-X before 5D Mk III  (Read 7749 times)

Bombsight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Red AF in AI-Servo fixed in 1D-X before 5D Mk III
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2012, 02:43:16 PM »

The 1Dx does not offer only 1stop of improvement. It offers speed and reliability and these are what a professional photographer needs.

I do not know (or care) in which thread these declarations were made and how many people had written so.
However, your comments imply a kind of satisfaction and "revenge"  and they are rather childish.  Enjoy your 1Dx

1. It's abilities I know well.

2. That's what I thought of all the comments by 5D3 owners at the time. Just rubbin' it back on 'em after the "salt bath" of every 1DX thread in the past. A classic Eddie Murphy & the bread sandwich syndrome ... Eddie Murphy On McDonalds

3. Know that I AM a photographer ... & Thank you.
I will.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2012, 02:43:16 PM »

jdavis37

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 05:30:42 PM »
FWIW.. saw the comments on CR home page regarding 5D3 and AF:

>>If you remember the story about getting f/8 to work on the EOS-1D X with a Kenko teleconverter, Arthur Morris was unable to make the EOS 5D Mark III do the same thing with the exact same teleconverter. The fact that Canon hasn’t updated both cameras at the same time tells me there are indeed differences in the AF systems. I am reminded only the EOS-1 line has ever had f/8 autofocus, so it may not be something that gets added to the 5D Mark III anyway.<<

When I had my 2X TC II (Canon) and 1.4X TC ( both Canon II's.. now have the 1.4X II and 2X III), I was able to get somewhat decent Af stacking the TC's with my 300 F2.8 so I know the camera has some F8 AF ability. using 1.4X TC with 100-400L, however, results in nothing. Does not even try to AF.

I hope Canon does decide to bring F8 AF to the 5D3 but if I were a gambling person I would bet they won't, regardless of whether or not it is doable. That said a $3K body should be worthy of such a feature given nikon has F8 Af in the $2K realm.

But I can say I was able to stack TC's on my 5D3 with 300F2.8 IS and got good to fair AF. Going to keep fingers crossed on the F8 AF but won't hold my breath!

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 05:51:43 PM »

>>If you remember the story about getting f/8 to work on the EOS-1D X with a Kenko teleconverter, Arthur Morris was unable to make the EOS 5D Mark III do the same thing with the exact same teleconverter. The fact that Canon hasn’t updated both cameras at the same time tells me there are indeed differences in the AF systems. I am reminded only the EOS-1 line has ever had f/8 autofocus, so it may not be something that gets added to the 5D Mark III anyway.<<

When I had my 2X TC II (Canon) and 1.4X TC ( both Canon II's.. now have the 1.4X II and 2X III), I was able to get somewhat decent Af stacking the TC's with my 300 F2.8 so I know the camera has some F8 AF ability. using 1.4X TC with 100-400L, however, results in nothing. Does not even try to AF.

I hope Canon does decide to bring F8 AF to the 5D3 but if I were a gambling person I would bet they won't, regardless of whether or not it is doable. That said a $3K body should be worthy of such a feature given nikon has F8 Af in the $2K realm.

But I can say I was able to stack TC's on my 5D3 with 300F2.8 IS and got good to fair AF. Going to keep fingers crossed on the F8 AF but won't hold my breath!
F/8 should be available for 1Dx from the very beginning. Now the AF red illumination is very trivial to be ommited from both cameras. I believe they will fix it on 5D3. Now time will tell about the F/8. Not very likely BUT as you said the cheaper Nikon D800 has it!

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 05:57:13 PM »

F/8 should be available for 1Dx from the very beginning. Now the AF red illumination is very trivial to be ommited from both cameras. I believe they will fix it on 5D3. Now time will tell about the F/8. Not very likely BUT as you said the cheaper Nikon D800 has it!

Heh, there are probably complaints in the Nikon camp that the D800 should have certain features also.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2012, 06:02:08 PM »

Heh, there are probably complaints in the Nikon camp that the D800 should have certain features also.
That's interesting! Do you know which specific features?

jdavis37

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2012, 06:33:48 PM »

Im no holding my breath re F8AF and 5D3 if history has anything to say about it. Years back Canon refused to put ISO in the viewfinder in their lower bodies even though Nikon's $600 body had it. Each company has certain tendencies and feature sets they protect. it may well be 5D3 simply cannot do it but given my experience with 300 F2.8 + stacked TC's with decent F8AF it seems it is possible. Maybe a $3499 body (less now) is worthy.. time will tell but my guess is it just isn't going to happen. I like the 5D3 silent mode too much to go away from it.. really helps with birds and critters!

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2012, 09:09:24 PM »
Right now I am not sure that 5DMkIII can handle it. I have 2 old teleconverters one Sigma 1.4X and one Tamron 2X.

I put the 1.4X to my 100-400 and I was able to focus  only once inside my home (granted it wasn't very bright but still I had turned on all the lights
o the room (6 X 60W bulbs). I took the picture after many attempts, however then camera displayed Err01 (picture was saved to card).

Now this was my 5DMkII since 5DMkIII couldn't cooperate.

However my2X Tamron was accepted by both cameras (no error and no aperture change).

Since it i was using the 2X teleconverter I tried it with my 24-105 f/4L and my 70-200 f/4L with 5DMkII and 5DMkIII.

Unfortunately neither camera could focus.

So I do not have high hopes. Of course I will be glad to be wrong since I also have Canon EF1.4X II and EF2X II.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2012, 09:09:24 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2012, 10:22:29 PM »
a simple firmware update
There is no such thing as a "simple" firmware update.

Software is complicated.  Adding features without breaking anything else is very difficult.  And verifying software is unbelievably difficult.

Some are better at it than others.  But you definitely want "correct" much more than you want "soon".
+1 +1 and +1
And even after testing it to death, when the firmware gets out to 500,000 users, they find more bugs.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2012, 10:39:06 PM »
this thread deserves this again :o

Canon 5D vs 1D
APS-H Fanboy

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2012, 10:48:45 PM »
a simple firmware update
There is no such thing as a "simple" firmware update.

Software is complicated.  Adding features without breaking anything else is very difficult.  And verifying software is unbelievably difficult.

Some are better at it than others.  But you definitely want "correct" much more than you want "soon".
+1 +1 and +1
And even after testing it to death, when the firmware gets out to 500,000 users, they find more bugs.
The thing is when a company pays programmers to write programs, they get two deliverables for the price of one! The first that is being paid for - the software code and the other entirely free - the bugs!

Pompo

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2012, 01:45:21 AM »
Why do you think this was addressed earlier than the 5d mark III, despite the 5d being released "long" before the 1dx?

The simple answer would be: The 1dx costs more. "Professionals" demand it. etc.

But I don't think there are too many amateurs running around out there with $3000 bodies.

I was relatively unconcerned with the large amount of discontent with the 5d mark iii preformance, personally feeling that the camera fit its role.

I am, however; utterly pissed that Canon chose to overlook the fact that there are thousands of 5d mk3 users out there that have demanded, more or less, that the AF in AI Servo be changed through a simple firmware update, and instead, offer it to the 1dx that has been out for a fraction of the time.

I love Canon, but this really irks me, maybe unjustifiably, but irks me none the less, and where better to rant than cr?

Grrrrr.

oh yes there are quite a few amateurs with the 5DIII, anyway the update sucks, all the points are red since they cannot change the hardware of the lcd. You could set it to only show your point you are usin but still have that red glare/halo all over the VF...and if you do that you won't know where you can move your AF point to...LAst but not least IT BLINKS FAST so it wont effect exposure, how is that for a 7 grands body?

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2012, 04:32:59 AM »
Do you really own a 1D-X? Mine certainly does not show the behaviour you describe.

Bombsight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2012, 02:03:05 PM »
how is that for a 7 grands body?
A hell of a lot better than not being able to see the black ones.  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2012, 02:03:05 PM »

comsense

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2012, 04:27:36 PM »
I see a lot of 5D3's being sold soon if Canon says no to the "pretty daughters".
The one acting petty daughter, son, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, or anyone else is YOU my friend in addition to those who thought/think that people buying 1DX are throwing away $4000. So don't drag normal people into your pettiness. It has already been said that this is not a 'coveted' xtra special pro*est pro feature which users are whining about unnecessary. Its like saying people buying cheaper cars should not ask for proper rear view mirror. It pertains to basic use and even Rebel series deserves it. 
Although it is annoying, I don't think it effects your image quality or creativity; so no, don't lookout for those sweet deals on used 5DIII flooded in the market even if Canon ignores it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 04:33:34 PM by comsense »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2012, 04:27:36 PM »