October 01, 2014, 09:17:37 PM

Author Topic: Thoughts on the New EOS-1D X Firmware 1.1.1  (Read 12396 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Thoughts on the New EOS-1D X Firmware 1.1.1
« on: October 18, 2012, 08:06:22 AM »
Red AF Point Illumination…..
…. sort of.

Canon did a great thing and listened to the wishes of their customers, and spent some considerable time changing the way the AF point illumination worked on the EOS-1D X in AI Servo. Instead of a solid red illumination like the EOS-1D Mark IV, we now get a blinking AF point. Why does it blink instead of being solid? It probably has something to do with metering. While the blinking AF point is a new thing for all of us, I think we’ll get used to it in no time. I may actually take this camera over the 1D4 for lowlight shooting and birding.

My preferred new settings for the EOS-1D X

Menu > AF5 > AF Status in viewfinder > Show outside of frame I do this because the blinking “AF” graphic in the viewfinder is quite distracting

Menu > AF5 > VF Display illumination > Enable: On > Q > Illuminated: Normal I found the “Brighter” setting to be a bit distracting this AM while shooting some avian creatures. I will probably add this setting to “My Menu”, just in case there’s a situation where the brighter point is needed.

f/8
I haven’t had the chance to try it out yet, I have an EF 800 f/5.6L IS at home, however there are no teleconverters here. I hope to get out this evening in the yard and do some shooting with a 1.4x TC.

EF70-300 f/4-5.6L IS supported with a teleconverter?
f/8 support with the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS! Yes, Canon has put this lens on the list of lenses that are supported now. As most of you know, mounting a TC to the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS is mostly not possible. However, if you zoom the lens to about 250mm, the rear element retracts enough inside the lens to mount a 1.4TC. I would only recommend doing this as a last resort. If I did put a 1.4TC on the 70-300L, I would put it right to 300mm and not move it from there. I’ll give that a go tonight and see how it goes. As most of you know, I love the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS.

What about my EOS 5D Mark III?
It may not be as simple as just updating the firmware in the same way. If you remember the story about getting f/8 to work on the EOS-1D X with a Kenko teleconverter, Arthur Morris was unable to make the EOS 5D Mark III do the same thing with the exact same teleconverter. The fact that Canon hasn’t updated both cameras at the same time tells me there are indeed differences in the AF systems. I am reminded only the EOS-1 line has ever had f/8 autofocus, so it may not be something that gets added to the 5D Mark III anyway.

The red AF points in AI Servo mode, I’d wager we’ll be seeing it in the EOS 5D Mark III in the near future.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Thoughts on the New EOS-1D X Firmware 1.1.1
« on: October 18, 2012, 08:06:22 AM »

Viggo

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the New EOS-1D X Firmware 1.1.1
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 08:21:22 AM »
I'll ask in this thread also (until someone can tell me)

If I upgrade and don't like the blinking, can I set my af to behave exactly like I can with the 1.0.6?
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

bbasiaga

• EOS M2
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 08:36:16 AM »
In one of the original articles, its said there were three modes to chosese from: Brighter, Normal, Non-Illuminated.  I don't have a 1DX :( so I don't know for sure, but it appears the answer to your question is YES.

-Brian

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 08:41:23 AM »
I'll ask in this thread also (until someone can tell me)

If I upgrade and don't like the blinking, can I set my af to behave exactly like I can with the 1.0.6?

Yes.  Just turn it off.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 08:56:52 AM »
I demonstrated the 5D Mk III focusing at f/8 on this forum back in May. I stacked my kenko 1.4x onto my canon 2x II onto my 400mm f/2.8 which gives an 1120mm f/8 lens. AF worked liked champ. I then tried the stacked extender setup on my 70-200 2.8 IS II. See this post for a demonstration: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=6319.msg121552#msg121552
6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

Cyrano

Is the blink rate fast enough for action work?
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 11:58:29 AM »
I'm told the blink rate in AI Servo mode is half-second on, half-second off.

Do you find this adequate for tracking a small, fast-moving subject?

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
    • clic::studio photography
The blinking is annoying and distracting...
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 12:06:09 PM »
Also if there is some light, even in bright mode, the points don't illuminate enough.
I am turning it OFF...

::)
Canon 1D X, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II,  Canon SpeedLite 600 EX-RT, 5x Paul C. Buff Einstein Flashes with Pocket Wizard PowerMC2's, Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1, Pocket Wizard AC3.

canon rumors FORUM

The blinking is annoying and distracting...
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 12:06:09 PM »

Viggo

• View Profile
Re: Is the blink rate fast enough for action work?
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 12:09:15 PM »
I'm told the blink rate in AI Servo mode is half-second on, half-second off.

Do you find this adequate for tracking a small, fast-moving subject?

The blinking is irregular on mine, it's a bit more annoying than if it was consistent...
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 12:10:15 PM »
I had no problem using the Kenko ?TC / 100-400mmL with AF at F/8 on my 5D MK III and even on my 10D.  However, the TC dies before I could do a AFMA or extensive testing.  Its going back today while I wait to see if Canon modifies the 5D MK III.  If Not, I'll pickup another Kenko next spring, or at Christmas sales.

Cyrano

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 12:58:32 PM »
The blinking is irregular on mine, it's a bit more annoying than if it was consistent...
That's not good.
Can you describe the irregularity? Is there any pattern to the on/off rate?

instaimage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 02:16:10 PM »
That's not good.
Can you describe the irregularity? Is there any pattern to the on/off rate?

The "blinking" on mine is refocusing... each time it achieves focus it "blinks", which for AI Servo is all the time if you're moving at all... which is what it's supposed to do... I'm coming off of 2 1/2 years with 7Ds so this function turned off works for me... I might try it for night football but...

Cyrano

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 02:23:20 PM »
The "blinking" on mine is refocusing... each time it achieves focus it "blinks", which for AI Servo is all the time if you're moving at all... which is what it's supposed to do...

Does this have the effect of making the AF point blink on/off very rapidly -- more rapidly than "half-second on, half-second off"?

JaxPhotoBuff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 03:59:56 PM »
Has this firmware update (or any of the earlier ones) addressed the reported link between turning on the orientation linked AF points and "activation" of the AFMA bug? Specifically, it was reported right after the release of the 1DX that turning on orientation linked AF points could trigger a problem with AFMA settings not being retained. Consequently, I have not turned on that feature.

I would like to turn on orientation linked AF points, but have been able to live without them. 

Anyone know if this issue was legit and/or if it has been corrected by any of the firmware upgrades? I haven't seen it mentioned directly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 03:59:56 PM »

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 05:23:23 PM »
This is off-topic, but since he mentions using TC on unsupported lenses, the following works for me:

for decent macro:
50mm f/1.4 with 12mm extension tube and 2xTC.

Attach the TC to the body, then attach extension tube, then attach 50 mm (make sure to set focus to close first. other lenses may also work)

Macro results are not bad!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 06:11:26 PM »
The "blinking" on mine is refocusing... each time it achieves focus it "blinks", which for AI Servo is all the time if you're moving at all... which is what it's supposed to do... I'm coming off of 2 1/2 years with 7Ds so this function turned off works for me... I might try it for night football but...

Not sure that's the whole story - it blinks when focusing with the lens cap on, and in that case it's clearly never achieving focus.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 06:11:26 PM »