August 28, 2014, 07:18:58 AM

Author Topic: "Best" budget filters?  (Read 3796 times)

RobT

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
"Best" budget filters?
« on: October 18, 2012, 04:08:52 PM »
Once upon a time I had a tiffen filter on the end of one of my first lenses, and have since removed it now that I know a lot more about photography and saw how awful it looked even on the LCD screen.

Now, I find myself often photographing children and dogs and am thinking a UV filter might again be a good idea, especially now that I know not all UV filters are made equal.

I don't have any L glass yet, so I don't see a reason to spend upwards of $50 on any filter for a long time. In fact, my best lens is the EF 85 f/1.8 (and soon to be accompanied by the EF 28 f/1.8 ) and will be my best lens until I can save up for a full-frame and better justify sticking some fancy glass onto my camera.

So anyway, is this filter high-quality enough that I can spend less than $50 and not notice a difference in IQ?
http://www.adorama.com/BW58UVMDP.html

I've heard good things about B&W thusfar. I know that the cost of replacing the front element of these lenses is likely the same price as the filter (or less) but at this stage in my business I can't afford the time to have the lens fixed. These kids are ruthless.

bigmag13

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: "Best" budget filters?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 05:18:57 PM »
Once upon a time I had a tiffen filter on the end of one of my first lenses, and have since removed it now that I know a lot more about photography and saw how awful it looked even on the LCD screen.

Now, I find myself often photographing children and dogs and am thinking a UV filter might again be a good idea, especially now that I know not all UV filters are made equal.

I don't have any L glass yet, so I don't see a reason to spend upwards of $50 on any filter for a long time. In fact, my best lens is the EF 85 f/1.8 (and soon to be accompanied by the EF 28 f/1.8 ) and will be my best lens until I can save up for a full-frame and better justify sticking some fancy glass onto my camera.

So anyway, is this filter high-quality enough that I can spend less than $50 and not notice a difference in IQ?
http://www.adorama.com/BW58UVMDP.html

I've heard good things about B&W thusfar. I know that the cost of replacing the front element of these lenses is likely the same price as the filter (or less) but at this stage in my business I can't afford the time to have the lens fixed. These kids are ruthless.

true story,

my neighbor on day asked if i thought that filters made better pics or helped in any way with photography and does it make since to buy them. I walked to my car to get my camera bag and show him the kinds i used and while showing my neighbor the filter i had on the 85mm 1.8 i used to own and explaining the importance of their protection aspect i dropped it! he expressed what was between a gaggle and a groan. after i shouted aw sh*t i reached down and saw the filter had cracked and taken ALL of the head on brunt of the impact. the glass was 100 still!

that was in fact a Tiffen. but as per your post, I do see the IQ difference from a lesser cost filter and ones better made, especcially with CIR-PL's. I now use B+W on all my glass. i feel you MUST have them. the protection alone can be worth the cost ;-)
5D3,5D2,6D,70-200 2.8Lii, 135L, 24-70Lii, Sigma 15 fisheye, Sigma 35 1.4(A), Zeiss 2/50, 600rt x3 and a st-e3 RT

RobT

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 12:21:22 PM »
I'm glad the lens is okay!

And I'll take that as a sign that I'm making a good choice with B&W.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 12:28:58 PM »
And I'll take that as a sign that I'm making a good choice with B&W.

You are, but FYI for the linked item above, the filter doesn't match the picture.  May not be a big deal to you, but you'll get a chrome-ringed filter, not black (B+W's 'Digital Pro' line is chrome-finished).  More importantly, the one you linked is multi-coated meaning good optics, but doesn't have the 'resistant' part of the MRC coating that makes the filter much easier to clean.

IMO, you want this one: http://www.adorama.com/BW58XSPUV.html
...or this one: http://www.adorama.com/BW58XSP7N.html

Those are the same price, the main difference is the mount, first one is standard thickness, second is a thinner mount that still has front threads (they're shorter than the standard, there will be a little gap between filter and lens cap, but the cap will go on fine.

Personally, I'd go with the XS-Pro Nano in the second link.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 06:00:03 PM »
B&W MRC pro filters. Its the only I'll buy.

RobT

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 06:37:14 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on the coating.

Do you think it's worth spending $60 for a $400 lens? I won't be looking to protect any super fancy glass for awhile, so these filters are for an EF 85 1.8 and EF 28 1.8.

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 06:47:27 PM »
IF...you are going to use a filter on a very fine lens..look at this article and then go buy a B&W MRC Clear with the brass ring and be done with it.!!!!!!!!   ;D
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/06/good-times-with-bad-filters

I love the things that Roger does over there...they are fun AND informative....he gives it ya straight up AND makes you laugh at yourself!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 06:49:14 PM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 07:05:29 PM »

Do you think it's worth spending $60 for a $400 lens? I won't be looking to protect any super fancy glass for awhile, so these filters are for an EF 85 1.8 and EF 28 1.8.

B&W is the best choice for sure.  However, I won't use any filter for non-L lens.  To have lens hood is more important and good enough IMO.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

Velo Steve

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Photos on Flickr (mostly removed when the changed the site)
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 08:28:48 PM »

I had this thought once, and bought cheap filters for my first DSLR.  They were probably okay with that kit lens, but it was still a big mistake.

Recently I had some questionable images from my nearly new 300mm 4.0L Canon lens on a 5D Mark III.  I read the lensrentals.com article and decided to test my filters.  Somehow I had swapped an old cheap filter onto the new lens and it was a problem.  I had two different mid-priced Hoya filters, and they were MUCH better.  There are several test images on Flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniorvelo/8009756400/#in/set-72157624036270340/.

The Hoyas cause a color shift (arguably a desirable one), but practically no loss of sharpness compared to a bare lens.  The cheap filters made every shot look out of focus.

I'll never let a bad filter in my house again.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 09:41:16 PM »

I would. I did, actually - I had the 58mm MRC UV for my 85/1.8. Sold the lens, kept the filter, wasn't sure why at the time, since L-lenses tend to use bigger filters. But then I got an MP-E 65mm - that takes 58mm, and the working distance is so short that I'm always pushing the front of the lens into bushes, etc. 

Also, the MRC coating makes cleaning a lot easier. That's the reason Canon started putting a fluorine coating on the front (and rear) elements of their newest high-end lenses, and the B+W MRC provides the same benefit.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RobT

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 07:57:57 AM »
Alright guys, I think you've convinced me.

I also can't mention how many times I've been rolling around in the grass trying to capture the antics of a child and needed to clean my lens and saw my bag 100ft away and had only my T-shirt to wipe off a smudge...

If an MRC filter can stand up to my t-shirt, I'll take the plunge.

crasher8

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 08:39:19 AM »
B&W MRC pro filters. Its the only I'll buy.

+1

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 09:30:45 AM »
I personally recommend Hoya Pro1 Digital.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 01:35:07 AM »

these are also very good but much more of a pain to clean than the B+W ones i have both
APS-H Fanboy

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 04:11:13 AM »

these are also very good but much more of a pain to clean than the B+W ones i have both

I haven't used Hoya's filter.  I am just curious why Hoya's filter is difficult to clean?
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod