Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Stills

5D3 & 600ex-rt + AF assist beam = slower focus

(1/54) > >>

jaayres20:
I am sure this has been discussed before but I just can't figure out why the 5D3 focuses so slowly when the AF assist is enabled on my flash.  Many times I have been at a wedding reception and I get frustrated with very slow focusing issues related to the AF assist beam.  I have messed around with turning it on and off and there is a very noticeable difference.  For example with my 70-200 as long as I find an area of some contrast it will focus almost instantly even dark situations.  As soon as I turn it on it sometimes takes a full second or two to lock focus.  I remember my 5D2 having improved focus with the AF assist from the 580exII.  Is it a flash issue or a camera issue?  I know there are a lot of you who have the same problems.  Anyone find any solutions?  Most of the time I don't need the AF assist but when it is pitch black and I need it it would be nice if I could focus a little faster.  I just don't understand how the AF can be so great in almost all situations except this one area.  Of course when I call CPS they claim they have never heard of an issue.     

Sycotek:
Happens on the 1DX too...

Personally reported to canon months and months ago - heaps of post all over the web if you good 5d3 wedding low light focus issues, 1Dx wedding low light focus issues, 1dx 5d3 reception issues etc...

They didn't care tbh - it's not a problem apparently.

pwp:
I've noticed this too with 5D3 & 580EXII, but put it down to environmental factors.

I have heard that the pattern thrown by a 600EX-RT AF-assist is allegedly better suited to the 1DX & 5D3 than the 580EXII. Can a resident genius confirm this? If it's correct, I'm in the market for two or three 600 EX-RT's.

-PW

35mm Film:
Would this effect the 5D mk2 the same way. I am heading out tomorrow to buy two for a wedding im shooting on sunday. Should I stay with the 580?   :-\

drjlo:

--- Quote from: pwp on October 19, 2012, 07:34:33 AM ---I've noticed this too with 5D3 & 580EXII, but put it down to environmental factors.

I have heard that the pattern thrown by a 600EX-RT AF-assist is allegedly better suited to the 1DX & 5D3 than the 580EXII. Can a resident genius confirm this? If it's correct, I'm in the market for two or three 600 EX-RT's.

-PW

--- End quote ---

Well, OP's topic reads "5D3 & 600ex-rt + AF assist beam = slower focus," so 600ex-rt is likely not the answer..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version