Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Stills

5D3 & 600ex-rt + AF assist beam = slower focus

<< < (22/54) > >>

Mehmetski:

--- Quote from: echelonphoto on November 21, 2012, 09:58:33 AM ---OK....so many of us now know there is a REAL problem here.  How do we go about notifying Canon and getting
them to fix it.

--- End quote ---

I already send an e-mail to CPS. I talked about it on the phone with Canon and also send them an e-mail. Twice in two weeks. Still no response.

Louis:

--- Quote from: Mehmetski on November 21, 2012, 10:25:09 AM ---
--- Quote from: echelonphoto on November 21, 2012, 09:58:33 AM ---OK....so many of us now know there is a REAL problem here.  How do we go about notifying Canon and getting
them to fix it.

--- End quote ---

I already send an e-mail to CPS. I talked about it on the phone with Canon and also send them an e-mail. Twice in two weeks. Still no response.

--- End quote ---

Interesting, the main thing dont give up talking about it, the moment you do, it will never get fixed

RustyTheGeek:
UPDATE:  I've received the replacement 5D3 and will report back after I've used it a bit to compare to the first body I had trouble with.

cpsico:

--- Quote from: jaayres20 on October 18, 2012, 08:08:49 PM ---I am sure this has been discussed before but I just can't figure out why the 5D3 focuses so slowly when the AF assist is enabled on my flash.  Many times I have been at a wedding reception and I get frustrated with very slow focusing issues related to the AF assist beam.  I have messed around with turning it on and off and there is a very noticeable difference.  For example with my 70-200 as long as I find an area of some contrast it will focus almost instantly even dark situations.  As soon as I turn it on it sometimes takes a full second or two to lock focus.  I remember my 5D2 having improved focus with the AF assist from the 580exII.  Is it a flash issue or a camera issue?  I know there are a lot of you who have the same problems.  Anyone find any solutions?  Most of the time I don't need the AF assist but when it is pitch black and I need it it would be nice if I could focus a little faster.  I just don't understand how the AF can be so great in almost all situations except this one area.  Of course when I call CPS they claim they have never heard of an issue.     

--- End quote ---
I was wondering how the camera was set up to shoot, was it in one shot mode or AI servo? Ps have you tried using center point only? I am interested in this set up myself but now am a little unsure i want to until the issue is solved.

jaayres20:

--- Quote from: cpsico on November 21, 2012, 06:53:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: jaayres20 on October 18, 2012, 08:08:49 PM ---I am sure this has been discussed before but I just can't figure out why the 5D3 focuses so slowly when the AF assist is enabled on my flash.  Many times I have been at a wedding reception and I get frustrated with very slow focusing issues related to the AF assist beam.  I have messed around with turning it on and off and there is a very noticeable difference.  For example with my 70-200 as long as I find an area of some contrast it will focus almost instantly even dark situations.  As soon as I turn it on it sometimes takes a full second or two to lock focus.  I remember my 5D2 having improved focus with the AF assist from the 580exII.  Is it a flash issue or a camera issue?  I know there are a lot of you who have the same problems.  Anyone find any solutions?  Most of the time I don't need the AF assist but when it is pitch black and I need it it would be nice if I could focus a little faster.  I just don't understand how the AF can be so great in almost all situations except this one area.  Of course when I call CPS they claim they have never heard of an issue.     

--- End quote ---
I was wondering how the camera was set up to shoot, was it in one shot mode or AI servo? Ps have you tried using center point only? I am interested in this set up myself but now am a little unsure i want to until the issue is solved.

--- End quote ---

The AF assist only works with one shot.  I usually use the center point if it is really dark because it works a little better.  I would still get the 5D3 and a few 600ex-rt flashes if I were you.  They work great considering this one issue which is frustrating but you can work around it fairly easily.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version