Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Stills

5D3 & 600ex-rt + AF assist beam = slower focus

<< < (34/54) > >>

RustyTheGeek:
Yep.  I've been there gilmorephoto and echelonphoto!  Again, my 'AF Lock sucks in Low Light' issue seemed to improve/go away when I exchanged my new 5D3 for another but I need to shoot more in low light to further confirm and flesh this out more.  And I would love it if it turned out to be a firmware improvement thing. 

However, I just ordered an eBay steal deal on a 6D for $1899 from theimagingworld (fingers crossed) and I will try to informally compare the two bodies (5D3 vs. 6D) after it arrives.  Oh, and I don't plan on divulging what I think "0" EV is either!!  I'm going to use completely subjective comparisons like 'better', 'worse' and maybe even 'pudding' or 'furry'.  So there!   ;)  (And just in case, please know I am kidding around because that 0 EV thing on the other post really did teach me a lot about EV and sharing informal test results with this forum.)

RustyTheGeek:

--- Quote from: echelonphoto on December 10, 2012, 02:33:05 PM ---dlleno,

I think there is some credence to your argument. I just hope that if they do the firmware, we do not lose accuracy to any great degree. The mark 2 is pretty well 99% accuracy when using the center spot with af
assist...so this should be doable with the new camera. I am so confident at receptions with the old camera that
I frequent just point the camera at a group of people I want to capture without even looking thru the viewfinder.

--- End quote ---

IMO, that's the way it SHOULD BE with a new $3000 camera.  High confidence in the results and be able to just point in the general direction over your head sometimes and expect a decent in focus picture.

dlleno:

--- Quote from: RustyTheGeek on December 10, 2012, 02:41:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: echelonphoto on December 10, 2012, 02:33:05 PM ---dlleno,

I think there is some credence to your argument. I just hope that if they do the firmware, we do not lose accuracy to any great degree. The mark 2 is pretty well 99% accuracy when using the center spot with af
assist...so this should be doable with the new camera. I am so confident at receptions with the old camera that
I frequent just point the camera at a group of people I want to capture without even looking thru the viewfinder.

--- End quote ---

IMO, that's the way it SHOULD BE with a new $3000 camera.  High confidence in the results and be able to just point in the general direction over your head sometimes and expect a decent in focus picture.

--- End quote ---

no question about that, and given the choice one would tend to choose "the 5D3 way",  at least I would.  But when this extraordinary accuracy interferes with speed of capture results that are deemed to be superior in some situations with a "lesser"  camera, then the $3000 camera needs to allow the photographer some flexibility and the choice to configure a "6D mode"  -- I'm assuming of course that the emperical evidence here passes muster and that the 6D really does focus faster than the 5D3 in the same light within the EV specifications of both.  Such an option would allow the 5D3 user to relinquish some AF accuracy to obtain better AF speed so that the shot doens't "get away".  perhaps a custom configuration "low light AF speed"

Louis:
Lets just really hope Canon are reading all these posts on a few Forums now, I honestly pray for a fix, as I am wondered to be offered a job, where I will be dependent on the 5D3 and my 430EX2,

digital paradise:

--- Quote from: dlleno on December 05, 2012, 05:39:46 PM ---
Canon technical support told me that the AF assist beam is not supported with this combination (5D3 and 600ex)

--- End quote ---

I'm still trying to get over this. I may have to call Canon myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version