April 19, 2014, 06:18:57 PM

Author Topic: 5D3 & 600ex-rt + AF assist beam = slower focus  (Read 49706 times)

jaayres20

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Joshua Ayres Photography
5D3 & 600ex-rt + AF assist beam = slower focus
« on: October 18, 2012, 08:08:49 PM »
I am sure this has been discussed before but I just can't figure out why the 5D3 focuses so slowly when the AF assist is enabled on my flash.  Many times I have been at a wedding reception and I get frustrated with very slow focusing issues related to the AF assist beam.  I have messed around with turning it on and off and there is a very noticeable difference.  For example with my 70-200 as long as I find an area of some contrast it will focus almost instantly even dark situations.  As soon as I turn it on it sometimes takes a full second or two to lock focus.  I remember my 5D2 having improved focus with the AF assist from the 580exII.  Is it a flash issue or a camera issue?  I know there are a lot of you who have the same problems.  Anyone find any solutions?  Most of the time I don't need the AF assist but when it is pitch black and I need it it would be nice if I could focus a little faster.  I just don't understand how the AF can be so great in almost all situations except this one area.  Of course when I call CPS they claim they have never heard of an issue.     

canon rumors FORUM

5D3 & 600ex-rt + AF assist beam = slower focus
« on: October 18, 2012, 08:08:49 PM »

Sycotek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: 5D3 & 600ex-rt + AF assist beam = slower focus
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 01:15:08 AM »
Happens on the 1DX too...

Personally reported to canon months and months ago - heaps of post all over the web if you good 5d3 wedding low light focus issues, 1Dx wedding low light focus issues, 1dx 5d3 reception issues etc...

They didn't care tbh - it's not a problem apparently.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 07:34:33 AM »
I've noticed this too with 5D3 & 580EXII, but put it down to environmental factors.

I have heard that the pattern thrown by a 600EX-RT AF-assist is allegedly better suited to the 1DX & 5D3 than the 580EXII. Can a resident genius confirm this? If it's correct, I'm in the market for two or three 600 EX-RT's.

-PW

35mm Film

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 09:17:44 AM »
Would this effect the 5D mk2 the same way. I am heading out tomorrow to buy two for a wedding im shooting on sunday. Should I stay with the 580?   :-\

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 04:14:02 PM »
I've noticed this too with 5D3 & 580EXII, but put it down to environmental factors.

I have heard that the pattern thrown by a 600EX-RT AF-assist is allegedly better suited to the 1DX & 5D3 than the 580EXII. Can a resident genius confirm this? If it's correct, I'm in the market for two or three 600 EX-RT's.

-PW

Well, OP's topic reads "5D3 & 600ex-rt + AF assist beam = slower focus," so 600ex-rt is likely not the answer..

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 12:19:59 AM »
-PW
Well, OP's topic reads "5D3 & 600ex-rt + AF assist beam = slower focus," so 600ex-rt is likely not the answer..
That's right, so maybe it's the way the 5D3 AF chip responds to AF Assist beams.
There is definitely something going on. The response is better on the 5D2 & 1D4. Can't speak for 1DX yet.

-PW

RayValdez360

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 03:13:46 PM »
I have the same problem too. I am at clubs and parties taking pics with the 5dIII and it is embarrassing trying to focus for a long time. people are looking at me like  i suck or my camera sucks. My 7d never has this problem with the af assist.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 03:13:46 PM »

Brewyet

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 10:15:28 AM »
I've had my MK3 since Aug and have shot 5 weddings with it. I am using the 600ex's as well. I thought this thing was supposed to be faster than the mk2! It isn't. I haven't tried turning off the focus assist. My mk2 with a 580exII was pretty fast at the receptions in the dark. I've shot over 100 weddings with the mk2/580 combo.

I'm kinda dissapointed in the mk3... :'( I though it was just me, until I searched for some info today...
I'm going to try the mk3 with a 580 tonight and see if it's any better than the 600. I'm also going to try with the focus assist turned off.

It is kinda embarrasing  :-[  to have to wait 2 sec to focus when the couple is on the dance floor waiting on me to focus....
Thanks for the tips so far.

RayValdez360

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »
I used my 5d3 combo last night it literally focused in an instant without the flash being turned on ( it was off by mistake) in the dark but when I turned the flash on, it was hunting for a few seconds. It is liek the beam isn't strong enough or  the AF light isn't in sync with the lens. It is almost as if the beam goes away before the lens starts to auto focus.

Rofflesaurrr

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 05:07:54 PM »
I can confirm this also. Was using 5D3 with 600EX-RT during a dimly lit wedding reception and the focus was hunting with the AF assist beam on. Didn't think to try turning it off  :-\. I felt like I was walking around painting targets for an airstrike.

HnJStudios

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 05:31:06 PM »
This is absolutely true. Was at a Halloween party with the family this weekend. I was shooting with my 5dm3 and the 580ex. My wife noticed almost immediately the camera was taking too long to focus. I didn't even know focus assist was on until she mentioned the red light. I turned it off and problem solved.

RustyTheGeek

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 06:49:24 PM »
I have the low light Auto-Focus problem too.  Others noticed last night and wondered if I had forgotten how to take pictures.

OK, I received my 5D3 a couple weeks ago but just started using it recently in the last couple days.  I went to a party last night and church this morning.  I tried several lenses, 16-35L, 24-70L and 24-105L.  All lenses exhibited the problem but the 24-105L was the worst offender.  Turning off AF Assist didn't make much difference.

Bottom LineMy 5D3 low light focus performance SUCKSHeck, my 5Dc focuses better in low light.  Aaargh!!

I am very concerned about this since some do and some don't seem have this problem with their cameras.  Some forum posts state their low light AF works great.  This doesn't confirm the problem across the board so it means only a subset of cameras are faulty based on a lot of AF complaint posts.  I guess I have one of the faulty ones.  Grrrr!

I guess this means that the mfr QC of the Canon line is not consistent and/or they received some bad parts and released a lot of cameras with this problem.  What really sucks is it seems Canon isn't admitting a problem exists.  Well it exists on my camera!!  Mine has the current firmware and a serial high enough to be past the light leak so it should have most fixes applied that would have possibly addressed a focus issue, admitted or not.  So I guess there is no fix yet or it's a hardware problem.

Either way, the camera is worthless to me if it won't focus in low light since that it the main reason I got it in the 1st placeI would NOT use this in a professional setting.  It's embarrassing!  FYI - This was a $2899 Beach Camera eBay deal from a few weeks back.  If I hadn't gotten such a good deal, I would probably already be selling it right now.  Still might.  A lot of my shooting is low light.  I don't really want to use it the way it is now.  It's a PITA.  So why keep a $3000+ camera just laying around in case a fix comes along that I have to send it off to have fixed?

Anyone else have a fix that worked for them?  (I already disabled the flash assist.  Didn't seem to make a significant difference.)
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 07:23:32 PM »
haha finally, this proves im not mad, pisses me off that no one replied to my message on here, telling everyone about this over a month ago.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 07:29:39 PM by Louis »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 07:23:32 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 07:25:28 PM »
There is discussion on another thread that suggests the Yongnuo YN565 spits out an AF Assist beam that makes the 5D3 AF more reliable at very low light venues than the Canon 580EXII & 600EX-RT. One poster put up images of the bright Yongnuo AF Assist beam projected on his ceiling, and said that with the Yongnuo YN565 his 7D will focus in pitch darkness. This is interesting enough to look into a bit further. My guess is that it depends a little on what you're trying to focus on. Any real-world feedback on this?

Like others I have been professionally embarrassed by the glacial speed of getting an AF lock with 5D3 & 580EXII at low light venues. If the Yongnuo YN565 does in fact offer a solution, I'll get a couple of them just for extreme low light functions. The YN565 has a side benefit of being able to accept external power sources. Bizarrely, the newer YN568EX which supports HSS doesn't have a plug for external batteries. Go figure...

-PW

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
Im honestly so F£$%"£d off with Canon really, All I can see is major mistakes and half developed products all for a large selling price, its evident that they are more concerned about profit, it actually stinks of how bad it is, I really want to jump ship to Sony, its just a shame that ship is all about EVF displays and I don't think I can handle that yet, I have spent so much money with Canon, like all of us, and cant make stupid moves, I just wish they will identify this problem and make a fix, I have just seen the  Yongnuo YN565 flash and its cheap, but the first thing that pops into my head is "why on earth should I spend 100 pounds on a flash when I have one! a 430 EXII and it is fine!! I paid 200 pounds for that here in the UK, now I may have to spend another 100 to fix a problem on a £2,300 camera? I hope everyone can see my rage.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »