July 26, 2014, 03:22:50 AM

Author Topic: Canon EVIL/Small DSLR on the Way [CR3]  (Read 11080 times)

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EVIL/Small DSLR on the Way [CR3]
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 06:58:19 PM »
I hope it's:
- Compatible with EF-S and EF lenses
- Not just a downsized DSLR, as their Rebels are already hard enough to hold.

Isn't that the 50D and 7D?  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 06:58:19 PM »

ROBOTTI2009

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 08:50:20 PM »
I would LOVE a camera with a form factor something similar to the PEN and other small micro 4/3 cameras that would accept EF-lenses.

When I first started with 450D I didn't consider carrying it around to be much of a problem but now with 5D MkII I'm inclined to leave it home on occasions.

At a time like that, I would love to grab a small body, throw on a prime and rock on.

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 10:26:39 PM »
My first SLR (which I still have) was the Canon EOS IX, which was a small form-factor APS body that took EF lenses...

In other words, if the electronics are now small enough, you *can* now get a DSLR in roughly the form factor of the G series. Add a couple pancake EF-S lenses, and Canon is right in the hunt in this space without creating a new mount.

I'd rather have a Digital IX than an MIL camera. Hope that this is the rumored camera.

BTW Nikon also built an APS film camera that used F mount lenses.

John

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 10:46:29 PM »
I would love one, I just hope Canon will make a small pancake lens like Olympus did.

J-Man

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 02:17:39 AM »
It has to be smaller than the Rebel or what's the point.
Make it the size of of somewhere between  the Olympus E430 & GF1 but with a FF sensor!!!!!!!!!!

CamaJan

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 08:01:15 AM »
Size reduction compared to what? :o
I don't think going to be good if it is smaller than T2. Once you hold D90 or 50D in your hands they feel just about right. Going a bit thinner couldn't hurt but only to cca Rebel dimensions ~6cm

IMO give us a bit <50D body, FF, and HD EVF and call it a day...
Next upgrade: global shutter.
:-):-)

Jan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 06:27:12 AM »
+1 on having it similar to the 7D (size wise) That would be sick if it took EF and EF-S lenses since we all have more than enough of them already!
Why having a EVIL with similar size compared to 7D? Buy a 7D than! What would be the advantage? I think the main advantage of EVIL is being able to build more compact cameras...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 06:27:12 AM »

Jan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 06:30:59 AM »
Size reduction compared to what? :o
I don't think going to be good if it is smaller than T2. Once you hold D90 or 50D in your hands they feel just about right. Going a bit thinner couldn't hurt but only to cca Rebel dimensions ~6cm

IMO give us a bit <50D body, FF, and HD EVF and call it a day...
Next upgrade: global shutter.
:-):-)
The Rebels could be more ergonomic, but they don't have to be bigger necessarily... Just give the grip a different form (a little bit thicker...)

I'm still wondering how Canon wants to seperate from EP-1, GF1 and so on... only with the capability of using EF/EF-S lenses?

CamaJan

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 09:12:49 AM »
I agree the dont have to be bigger just more ergonomic. Besides we are talking 1-2 cm difference for any body out there, that means they are as small as practicality would allow anyway.

IMO we'll see EPL-1, GH1 type of EVIL first.  :)

And yes going EVIL in DSLR form would not have any size advantage, but as said that is not really wanted, from ergonomic point of view.
And there is one more issue, IMO. Dont mess with DSLr users. If you want to keep them happy and shooting your gear, you must offer them Quality (EVF) with great tech and features, good build and compatibility with EF mount.
They won't press canon for size, much. (well maybe a smaller FF body with HD EVF wouldnt hurt) 8)

Jan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 09:38:55 AM »
They won't press canon for size, much. (well maybe a smaller FF body with HD EVF wouldnt hurt) 8)
I'm sure a smaller FF body (Rebel-sized?!) with a "conventional" mirror-viewfinder wouldn't hurt either. ;)
I definitely would buy one. I don't know if it's possible but there are a lot old SLRs out there, at the size of Rebels or even smaller, so the viewfinder shouldn't be the problem.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 06:02:25 PM by Jan »

CamaJan

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 05:03:47 PM »
I would to! :D
make it ~600g and, maybe 1cm wider than 550D, for slightly better grip and added direct function buttons.
EFV would definitely be a problem, it becomes just one more thin lcd and some circuitry.
EF mount compatibility is a must, though. I wouldn't want to buy and than wait ages for new lens. Or use adapters...

HD EVF? I havent seen anyone make LCD screens that small wit resolution more than 600x600.
Even high grade #D virtual reality glasses have the exact same LCDs inside them. My guess is as soon as some  one makes them in higher resolution we'll see them first in those kind of devices!  ;)

match14

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 08:42:37 AM »
I think it is a great idea this way it keeps an optical viewfinder.  Even when using a compact camera I prefer to use the optical view finder espically out side.

jelte04

Mirrorless Canon on August 26?
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 06:48:02 AM »
There will be a big announcement on August 26. Maybe a mirrorless Canon? http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/rumors-something-exceptional-is-coming-on-august-26-japan-time/
Note that they say: ''Also very likely it is not a new Panasonic, Sony, Olympus or Samsung camera.''
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:50:47 AM by jelte04 »

canon rumors FORUM

Mirrorless Canon on August 26?
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 06:48:02 AM »

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 10:51:52 PM »
Coming to think of it, I won't mind something the size of old SLRs that take FD/FL lenses. Though a bit large to fit in pockets, they have a nice, solid feel and great shutter sound.
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 10:51:52 PM »