October 25, 2014, 11:28:24 PM

Author Topic: How to work around Canon shipping restrictions at B&H  (Read 6657 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
How to work around Canon shipping restrictions at B&H
« on: October 19, 2012, 05:39:31 PM »
There are already workarounds in place for other countries that companies in America won't ship to and they're called forwarding addresses..

canon rumors FORUM

How to work around Canon shipping restrictions at B&H
« on: October 19, 2012, 05:39:31 PM »

dilbert

• View Profile
Re: How to work around Canon shipping restrictions at B&H
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 05:39:53 PM »
For example, www.myus.com and others. Whilst they aren't free, the amount you save vs their cost makes them very worth their while. For Canadians, it might be simpler as they often have friends south of the border...

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:02:18 PM »
Part of the situation is the country of issue for the credit card.  I would not give that to a 3rd party.  Don't know if B&H will accept Canadian Credit cards.

Imagination_landB

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 08:46:22 PM »
I don't know if the canadian currency has a role in this..Anyway there is photoprice.ca to help us to find the best prices. ::)
6D, Gripped 60D. 120-300 2.8 OS, 50 1.8, 8-16, 24-70 VC.

Caps18

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 09:06:19 PM »
Part of the situation is the country of issue for the credit card.  I would not give that to a 3rd party.  Don't know if B&H will accept Canadian Credit cards.

I would imagine if you showed up in NYC with your credit card they would take it.  But the billing address compared to the shipping address might be a problem.
5D mark 2, 16-35mm f/2.8, 17mm TS-E f/4, 85mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4 + 1.4x, 580 EX Flash

Speed2

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 09:15:26 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 10:38:18 PM »
Those of us in the USA can't order from Canada either.  I've seen many cases where Canon lenses were mucho less expensive when bought in Canada using US dollars.
I'm close enough to drive up if I really wanted to.
I wonder if Warranty work will now be restricted as well, but I'd expect that a product purchased from a authorized reseller would be covered.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 10:38:18 PM »

Imagination_landB

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 10:45:38 PM »
Photoprice.ca is no help anymore either
http://www.photoprice.ca/article/photoprice-silenced-by-canon
Don't say something without really knowing it :P
http://www.photoprice.ca/product/03868/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-price.html this or any other lenses and cameras, are still listed under cross border shopping in the merchants list.  ::)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 10:57:39 PM »
Those of us in the USA can't order from Canada either.  I've seen many cases where Canon lenses were mucho less expensive when bought in Canada using US dollars.

Indeed.  Camera Canada lists the 600mm II for ~CA$11,400, which is $1500 less than I paid at B&H.

I wonder if Warranty work will now be restricted as well, but I'd expect that a product purchased from a authorized reseller would be covered.

Canon USA and Canon Canada have a joint warranty for dSLRs and EF lenses, so no worries there.  But some products (Cinema EOS and Cinema lenses, for example) are USA only.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Imagination_landB

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 11:12:37 PM »
I don"t know why the new super teles are less expensive here, and since I don't live in ontario (camera canada) I would pay only 5% taxes and no shipping. So 11965$ for a lens that in USA ( a much larger market) costs 13000. For cameras the prices are almost the same, even less expensive sometimes. But THE major difference is for the lenses..Most of the time they are a lot cheaper in the US of A. prices are going down in Canada since a few months and I could not be happier with it. This is why I don't thnik this is a major issue. For sure there are some huge discounts sometimes that we wontt be able to have here tough
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 11:50:27 PM by Imagination_landB »

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 11:55:10 PM »
I find it interesting to read this thread. I live in Norway, and like most europeans know, the U.S. and Canadian prices are very low compared to the rest of the world, Japan included. B&H, Adorama and others have priced several of their Canon products the last few years so cheaply that running a camerastore in other parts of the world becomes very hard. It's a known fact that for the most high end products from Canon, a person can order a round trip with hotel to New York, buy the stuff you wanted and still have saved money. An example: Last Christmas B&H had an offer for the 17mm TS F4.0L to a price of 12.500 NOK, while in Norway the same lens costs 21.500 NOK (3795 usd today currency exchange). A roundtrip from Oslo - NY cost about 4400, and plus cheap lodging you have saved money, had weekend in NY, and that is just one of the lenses. The only risk you run is that the customs in Norway may force you to produce proof that this lens was bought in Norway previous to your trip. If caught, you need to pay taxes that equals the price of Norway. Until two years ago the US warranty was also valid for Norway. Not so anymore. Today, equipment bought in Europe are covered by the warranty here, but not the US bought items. Hence, the risk has gotten higher, since you now have to ship the equipment to the U.S. if anything goes astray.
1Dx, (7D II) 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 12:02:01 AM »
But the billing address compared to the shipping address might be a problem.

There are two answers to this problem.

The first is that some of the same companies that are doing the forwarding of parcels from US addresses to foreign addresses are also providing credit cards or credit card numbers to be used for online purchases.

The second is that if you call up your credit card company and tell them in advance that you are having something shipped to a specific address, there will not be a problem. I've had goods shipped to me whilst I've stayed at a hotel using an online store and that was possible because I contacted the credit card company (American Express) in advance and told them to approve the sale.

Deeohuu

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 12:02:59 AM »

I would imagine if you showed up in NYC with your credit card they would take it.  But the billing address compared to the shipping address might be a problem.

I errr, have a friend, who has often bought with a Canadian credit card that has a Canadian billing address and shipped to another friend in Boston. My, errr, friend never had a problem - at least in the past.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 12:02:59 AM »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 12:06:02 AM »
Today, equipment bought in Europe are covered by the warranty here, but not the US bought items. Hence, the risk has gotten higher, since you now have to ship the equipment to the U.S. if anything goes astray.

So if I live in Norway, take my camera with me to Los Angeles for a four week holiday and have an issue with it early on in the trip, I can't have it repaired under warranty at Canon service center in Irvine, California? (Irvine is part of the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area.) If so then that sucks. Rinse and repeat if I change the country in which I live within the warranty period of newly purchased Canon equipment.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 12:09:08 AM »

I errr, have a friend, who has often bought with a Canadian credit card that has a Canadian billing address and shipped to another friend in Boston. My, errr, friend never had a problem - at least in the past.

Yes, many credit card companies allow you to specify a shipping address that is different to the billing address as part of your account.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 12:09:08 AM »