October 23, 2014, 12:01:21 AM

Author Topic: Color Space: sRGB vs AdobeRGB  (Read 7218 times)

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
Re: Color Space: sRGB vs AdobeRGB
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 01:26:14 PM »
Thank you Mikael :)
1Dx, (7D II) 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 01:26:14 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 07:50:18 PM »
Is it really  difficult deep colors and shades it is better to work in ProPhoto color space and then proof the colors in to a smaller color space like Adobe RGB or S-rgb  and then convert.The profiles today has not the necessary data included for a conversion such as from ProPhoto to S-rgb shall be done  right

/quote]

I dont quite get what you are saying here can you clarify?
APS-H Fanboy

gunnar997

• Power Shot G7X
  • Film is cheaper than opportunity
    • View Profile
    • 500px
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 09:53:53 PM »
So are you saying that it does not matter if my cameras are set on sRGB or AdobeRGB, because I am shooting in Raw? and that everything can be fixed in post? While opposed to Jpg. where the setting on the camera is more limiting wheter you have your camera set on sRGB or AdobeRGB?

Yes that is right, but remember that DPP reads meta data and color space from the camera if you have chosen so in DPP.
a setting you can turn off in DPP so you can select your own color space to work in .
The differences between Adobe RGB and s-rgb  are seen mainly in green,red and cyans
For a year book it does not matter if you choose to work in the color space Adobe RGB or s-rgb, the important thing is that the photos are tagged with Adobe RGB or s-rgb so that a CMYK conversion can be done right.
If the subject contains deep red and green colors and shades and these are  printed on glossy paper then Adobe RGB is preferable because of the  larger color space.

Is it really  difficult deep colors and shades it is better to work in ProPhoto color space and then proof the colors in to a smaller color space like Adobe RGB or S-rgb  and then convert.The profiles today has not the necessary data included for a conversion such as from ProPhoto to S-rgb shall be done  right

If you have any questions feel free to ask,this is my area

[/quote]

Well about 75 to 80% of my images contain pretty deep reds considering i attend the University of Arkansas and Cardinal is our main color.. also we do print on glossy paper at 400dpi.. not sure if the dpi could affect that but i figured it may since it will have more detail.. and based on my deduction more detail would mean more color detail?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:55:25 PM by gunnar997 »
7D+grip, 70-200 f/2.8L IS I, 17-55 f/2.8, 50 f/1.4, and some studio lights

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 12:06:57 AM »
Mikael--this is a great thread that was started here.  I've gained some additional insight on the viewing vs. printing.  I wish cameras had the ProPhoto RGB.

One other point I wish to add is making sure your monitor shares the same profile.  After buying a new Samsung 27" monitor yesterday I proceeded to install the drivers and was looking for calibration software of which this monitor did not come with.  In windows 7 however one can make various changes to match what they are shooting in their photos.  For Windows 7 users (and perhaps Win 8 and Vista) try this:  right click on the screen of your Win 7 PC and choose "screen resolution". There you should see the profile of your monitor listed (mine was a T27B350) in the display box. If not you may need to seek out your monitor's driver on the manufacturer web site or CD that came with the monitor, install then choose your model. Next Click Advanced Settings, Choose the Color Management Tab, make sure under the Device Tab your monitor is listed and highlighted. Now the fun begins, choose the Advanced Tab. Under Device Profile you can choose your monitor or you might choose sRGB or Adobe RGB. I left my camera to shoot in sRGB so I chose this vs. Adobe RGB. If your screen matches what your camera shot then the photos should be spot on. Under the ICC rendering these are personal choices but I set mine primarily to photography and Absolute Color Metric. Lastly, click the calibration button to completely fine tune your contrast, GAMMA, brightness etc. As final step you will see the Microsoft Clear Light wizard. When you are done your monitor should be spot on.
If I have left out anything or someone else wishes to comment please do so.
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 12:06:57 AM »