Gear Talk > Third Party Manufacturers

D600 High ISO Examples

(1/5) > >>

friedmud:
Hey guys,  I picked up my Nikon D600 with a 50mm f/1.8G yesterday (sold my 7D and other Canon gear to get it) and happened to go to a card game at my boss's house last night.  This was the perfect chance to try out the low-light focus, big aperture of the 50mm and the high ISO capabilities of the D600.  Here's what I came away with:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/friedmud/sets/72157631808729691/

These were all shot _without_ a flash and it was pretty dark.  All, or almost all, are at ISO 6400.  I was shooting in the highest quality jpeg modes and had High ISO Noise Reduction set to "Normal".  They were only slightly edited in LR3 before getting posted.

I am super impressed with the quality.  Yes, there is noise (of course at 6400!) but there is a TON of detail in there too.  I applied just a tad more NR in LR3, but I think the balance between noise and detail is awesome.  I uploaded the full resolution jpegs to Flickr so you can grab those there if you want.

I didn't have any problems focusing in the dark.  I used a lot of off-center focus points and never had any trouble.  Unlike the Canon 50mm f/1.8 the Nikon version _does_ have an ultrasonic motor... and it focus fast, accurately and quietly.  It's also damn sharp wide open.

I'll embed a few here for those who refuse to follow a link ;-)

Rich Shuffling by friedmud, on Flickr

Highland Park by friedmud, on Flickr

Yaqi Just Lost a Hand by friedmud, on Flickr

Thinking by friedmud, on Flickr

Imagination_landB:
Looks really good!

friedmud:
Thanks Imagination!

I can't believe just how "head-over-heels" I already am with this camera!  I was out practicing some sunset shots in my backyard tonight... and the camera _just works_.  I love it!

sandymandy:
If i check original size it doesnt look special to me. And ISO 6400 isnt really high anymore too I think. Its good of course but nothing im amazed at.

Aglet:

--- Quote from: friedmud on October 20, 2012, 09:12:18 PM ---Thanks Imagination!

I can't believe just how "head-over-heels" I already am with this camera!  I was out practicing some sunset shots in my backyard tonight... and the camera _just works_.  I love it!

--- End quote ---

I'm not quite head over heels with my D800, but love it just the same.  Use it every chance I get. My 5d2 is being ignored, hopefully it doesn't sulk when I go to use it.
I wanted to love the D600, but it's SO not comfortable for me to hold.
I've found I can rely on my D800s AF points as well, the thing just works like a good tool.
One thing I didn't try, is the D600's low light live view good?  D800's is not, very noisy. 5d2 low light LV is awesome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version