October 24, 2014, 04:19:11 AM

Author Topic: Lens suggestions for 3 weeks trip to Egypt and Jordan  (Read 6288 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: Lens suggestions for 3 weeks trip to Egypt and Jordan
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 04:10:40 AM »
* Yes I want to do nile cruise, luxor temples, cairo, abu simbel etc… but one place I am really looking forward to is White Desert, Black Desert, Sea of Sand … I am planning 4 nights in this area… this is the only off beaten track I am willing to take.

Good research, I'm sure you'll have a great time if you're careful like that. Egyptians are very nice and hospitable people, it's just that under the current circumstances you simply wouldn't want to meet some on their way home after the big prayer.

Except for the usual temples/pyramids and a Nile cruse for the family (booooring!) I also liked the desert best, less tourists there (well, except us :-)) but here it really won't hurt to have a micro travel tripod around - place it on one large boulder and take hdr pictures @iso100 at dawn or sunset w/o putting your camera too near the dusty ground.

Plus it's smart to get a good guide, and to read something a bit about Egypt culture and religion before going - otherwise every temple is like a blur ("And here we have another row of columns and another wall of hieroglyphs...).

And as you surely know don't drink anything with ice cubes and be sure to have every bottle opened for the first time before your very own eyes, or it'll be a short trip esp. with three people the probability is 3x larger for someone to catch it :->

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 04:10:40 AM »

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 08:09:14 AM »
Considering the choice of bringing the 50mm f1.4 or not, perhaps it helps, if I list what gear I will bring for my next trip to Egypt:
1D-X, 5D Mark III
14mm f2.8
24mm f1.4
50mm f1.2
85mm f1.2

The only thing I would be missing with this setup is a tripod. It is a good thing to bring for night time shots outside of the usual temples and such, when you might want a rather small aperture. During my last visit to Egypt I managed to loan a tripod from a local photographer, so that helped me out, when I needed it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:12:43 AM by AmbientLight »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 08:09:14 AM »