September 19, 2014, 11:58:36 PM

Author Topic: 5d mark iii Amazon price drop  (Read 10262 times)

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: 5d mark iii Amazon price drop
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 10:01:53 PM »
Nice, like what I'm seeing.  Not that I care about the 6D, but I wonder what it will do to the price of it.   Canon may have to lower the list price before it even hits the streets.   

I see the 70-200 II dropping too making it harder to sell my 70-200 f4 IS to help fund it.  :o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 10:01:53 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 10:08:38 PM »

I guess it ain't movin' fast...by Feb to May it could hit 2750 without much fanfare or too many tears shed.
Be careful with that date.  It could happen, but check Canon Price Watch graphs for historical price levels.
There is a good reason why prices go up after the first of the year.  Canon's fiscal year ends December 31.  Their profits for the year are based on FY sales.  In order to lower inventory and to maximize sales, prices drop in November and December to their lowest levels of the year.

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 10:24:59 PM »

I guess it ain't movin' fast...by Feb to May it could hit 2750 without much fanfare or too many tears shed.
Be careful with that date.  It could happen, but check Canon Price Watch graphs for historical price levels.
There is a good reason why prices go up after the first of the year.  Canon's fiscal year ends December 31.  Their profits for the year are based on FY sales.  In order to lower inventory and to maximize sales, prices drop in November and December to their lowest levels of the year.

I agree, but with the 5D3 (and I would wager with the the upcoming 6D), there are more fundamental miscalculations of the overall market and demand which are being corrected with the price drops.

If you look at the 5D2 graphs at cpw, after a modest initial dip they held the price for two years stably before the inevitable drop with newer models. So they do the fisical year deals at the end of year on those items that could use a bit of additional push, not on items that are selling well.

But with 5D3, the significant drop in price months after release, hints at something more "structural" going on in their revenue calculations.
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 10:54:16 PM »

I agree, but with the 5D3 (and I would wager with the the upcoming 6D), there are more fundamental miscalculations of the overall market and demand which are being corrected with the price drops.

If you look at the 5D2 graphs at cpw, after a modest initial dip they held the price for two years stably before the inevitable drop with newer models. So they do the fisical year deals at the end of year on those items that could use a bit of additional push, not on items that are selling well.

But with 5D3, the significant drop in price months after release, hints at something more "structural" going on in their revenue calculations.

That "structural" change was 7 months too late for a few of us....  >:(
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 11:52:49 PM »

That "structural" change was 7 months too late for a few of us....  >:(

On the possitive side, I think it can't possibly slide below $2750, which incidentally is what the original market price should have been and was the fair price given the competition and other models in their own pipeline. But no! Canon had to be greedy.

But you got to use it for months now...so that is a fair pay off. If you can afford it, buy it at the earliest and enjoy it. Few hundred dollars for a few months...that's not so bad. :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 12:02:35 AM by Ray2021 »
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 11:52:49 PM »