Gear Talk > Third Party Manufacturers

Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Pricing

(1/4) > >>

AdamJ:
One UK online retailer has come out early with a price on the Sigma 35mm, of £599. For comparison, that is slightly less than the Sigma 85mm f/1.4.

http://www.microglobe.co.uk/sigma-35mm-f14-dg-hsm-lens-for-canon-p-9455.html

Imagination_landB:
So it should be 700-800$ US/CA.. I just can't wait to see how it performs against it's canon and bower/rokinon etc rivals.

sandymandy:
Oh man.... why do the 35mm with AF have to be so expensive :( I dont like the Sigma 30mm since i also use FF analog sometimes. Then the only cheap alternative is Samyang but its MF and im worried im too dumb for that  :'(

Can somebody explain to me why the 35mm price is so high? Is it really THAT complicated to build a 35mm lens? Does adding AF really cost 300$ more (compared wiv samyang) ?

AdamJ:

--- Quote from: sandymandy on October 22, 2012, 10:20:14 AM ---Oh man.... why do the 35mm with AF have to be so expensive :( I dont like the Sigma 30mm since i also use FF analog sometimes. Then the only cheap alternative is Samyang but its MF and im worried im too dumb for that  :'(

Can somebody explain to me why the 35mm price is so high? Is it really THAT complicated to build a 35mm lens? Does adding AF really cost 300$ more (compared wiv samyang) ?

--- End quote ---

Honestly, I'm pleased with the Sigma's price. My guess is that it will be a better performer than the 35mm L which is $500-600 more.

If you're worried about MF on the Samyang, then perhaps you'll see the value in the Sigma. I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic and my eyesight varies literally by the hour, so MF on the fly just isn't an option for me.  :-\

MK5GTI:
I seriously don't know why 35mm cost that much more to make than the 50mm, ok, i know 50mm is the easiest to make, 85mm F1.4 being more expensive i can understand it, the aperture in diameter is actually larger, but 35mm aperture diameter will be smaller too.

it use a smaller filter size compare to the 50mm & 85mm brother, so in theory, the manufacture use less glass.

but since i have been wiating for this 35L alternative for so long, i will still buy it!

Sigma, make the 24L and 135L alternative please!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version