December 22, 2014, 12:55:23 AM

Author Topic: 60D or t4i for video?  (Read 10536 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: 60D or t4i for video?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 03:52:31 AM »
As for another thing, I know pretty much 0 things about lenses.. For shooting stuff like short films for YouTube, what kind of lens should I go for?

Um, you should indeed do a little googling, there are bound to be loads of tutorials out there? I nearly never do video, but the things concerning lenses I know are 1. If not always on a (very sturdy!) tripod, for handheld shots you'll either want *IS* or a big manual stabilization gear and 2. You'll want a lens without *focus_breathing*, i.e. the frame area has to stay the same when focusing - and most zooms designed for photography do breathe.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 03:52:31 AM »

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 03:07:59 PM »
Samyang Video edition lenses are good and not too pricy. And stuff like "short films" can be anything. Underwater macro films? Landscape films? Sports films? Animal films? And so on. Primes are a good way to go i agree. Even the cheapy 50mm 1.8 II can be good for shooting film.

skaterhan1

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 08:56:11 PM »
Samyang Video edition lenses are good and not too pricy. And stuff like "short films" can be anything. Underwater macro films? Landscape films? Sports films? Animal films? And so on. Primes are a good way to go i agree. Even the cheapy 50mm 1.8 II can be good for shooting film.

Short film as in something like this:

I know the creators must have used very expensive lenses, but if I were to create something similar, what lenses would I use, on a less expensive scale?

Assassin's Creed 3: Rebel Blades

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 04:03:46 AM »
I know the creators must have used very expensive lenses, but if I were to create something similar, what lenses would I use, on a less expensive scale?

I'd say this was done using 2-3 prime lenses with different focal lengths, but all with large open aperture (strong background blur). And might have been using hdr video or a camera with very large dynamic range, look at the low contrast between sun and shadows - you've got hdr video with Magic Lantern, too.If their primes didn't have IS they were using some other type of stabilization - the latter more likely, the picture is a bit unstable but there is no IS "skipping" when moving the lens.

skaterhan1

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 07:03:47 PM »
I forgot to mention they were using a red scarlet :).
But there are plenty of bundles on amazon right now for around $1200 with the 60d, 18-55 kit, EF-S 55-250mm, and loads of accessories. Should I jump on this offer?
http://www.amazon.com/18-55mm-Digital-Professional-55-250mm-Telephoto/dp/B007JX6SLG/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351047333&sr=1-8&keywords=60d+bundle
Or buy better lens?

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 07:58:44 PM »

I'm quite the noob when it comes to this, so all help will be appreciated  :)

EDIT: I also want to keep in mind the quality in "low light" environments.
Canon recommends that a video camcorder is better.  HDDSLR video can be amazing, but the basic camera does not come video ready as a camcorder does, rather, its just a small piece of a system needed to produce movies for the big screen or television programs and commercials.
I'd figure spending at least 3-5X times the cost of the body to add all the other needed equipment that will make the video live up to its potential.  You will get better video with a good camcorder for less money at the low end.
One other reason for HDDSLR video is when you have only one camera and want to take a quick video on the spur of the moment.  It might not be pro quality, but having the capability to capture something is nice.

skaterhan1

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 08:06:59 PM »

Canon recommends that a video camcorder is better.  HDDSLR video can be amazing, but the basic camera does not come video ready as a camcorder does, rather, its just a small piece of a system needed to produce movies for the big screen or television programs and commercials.
I'd figure spending at least 3-5X times the cost of the body to add all the other needed equipment that will make the video live up to its potential.  You will get better video with a good camcorder for less money at the low end.
One other reason for HDDSLR video is when you have only one camera and want to take a quick video on the spur of the moment.  It might not be pro quality, but having the capability to capture something is nice.

Not exactly sure what you're trying to imply, but I have my mind set on a 60D. I'm going to use it to make short films (like the one in my above post) for YouTube. At this point I just need to figure out my lenses (also mentioned in my above post).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 08:06:59 PM »

adamdoesmovies

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 08:24:08 PM »

Not exactly sure what you're trying to imply, but I have my mind set on a 60D. I'm going to use it to make short films (like the one in my above post) for YouTube. At this point I just need to figure out my lenses (also mentioned in my above post).

Of course "Canon recommends" you buy their 6000-10000 dollar video cameras, which don't do as well in low light, have no depth of field control, and generally look like a reality show no matter how you use them. The DSLR's aren't perfect, but this idea that you need to build a huge rig around one for it to be usable is simply false. You see a lot more DSLR's in production than you'll ever see Canon camcorders.

skaterhan1

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 09:07:28 PM »
Of course "Canon recommends" you buy their 6000-10000 dollar video cameras, which don't do as well in low light, have no depth of field control, and generally look like a reality show no matter how you use them. The DSLR's aren't perfect, but this idea that you need to build a huge rig around one for it to be usable is simply false. You see a lot more DSLR's in production than you'll ever see Canon camcorders.

Agreed, especially since this is YouTube we're talking about here. I'm not making a 4K movie for the big screen. Not to mention I don't really have seven thousand dollars in my back pocket.

Ew

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 09:10:38 PM »

Choose the one with better MagicLantern support.
5D3 | 600D | EOSm | Samyang 8mm 3.8T | Samyang 14 2.8 | 17-40 | 28 1.8 | Sig 35 1.4 | 40 | 50 1.4 | 100 2.0 | 135 L | 70-200 4L IS + x1.4mk2 | Nippon Kogaku 50 1.4 (1965) | Nikkor 43-86 (mid 1970s) | M: 22

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 09:10:38 PM »