April 17, 2014, 05:43:59 PM

Author Topic: 5D mkIII image "Dust" after impact  (Read 4737 times)

Cptn Rigo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • rodrigomarta.com
5D mkIII image "Dust" after impact
« on: October 22, 2012, 05:28:01 AM »
Hi everyone

Last friday I was doing a night photo session and by accident someone push my tripod with mi 5d mkIII on it  :'(, the height of the tripod was about 3-4 feets and the camera landed on concrete... that little mini heart attack... so I check it out...

On/Off... ok
Focus... ok
Shutter... ok

Everything was working ok, so I just take a deep breath, coursed myself and continue shooting, next day I went to the beach and carry the camera with me...

I Just downloaded the pics and noticed on a photo some "dust"... continue checking and all the pics have that same dark spots in the same places... tracking the pictures, these dots appreared just after the impact...

I already did the "clean sensor" several times and the spots are in the same place, shoot with another lenses... the same, even shoot with mirror lock, the dots are there...

Can anyone help me??

Did this happened to someone??

5D MkIII + 35L, 85L, 135L, 70-300L, 24-70L II

canon rumors FORUM

5D mkIII image "Dust" after impact
« on: October 22, 2012, 05:28:01 AM »

Cptn Rigo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • rodrigomarta.com
Re: 5D mkIII image "Dust" after impact
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 05:29:12 AM »
Crop 100%

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 06:14:34 AM »
Did u clean the sensor urself too? Like flip ur the mirror and clean it manually... Or only use the inbuilt sensor cleaning?

I think u better send in ur camera and let that "somebody" who pushed ur tripod pay the bill (or his/her insurance).

Cptn Rigo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • rodrigomarta.com
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 12:43:15 PM »
I haven't cleaned the sensor manually, just used the inbuilt sensor cleaning

pierceography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 01:10:32 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if you have some pieces of paint or plastic from the camera on the sensor.  The built in sensor cleaning is by no means a complete solution for dealing with dust.

I would recommend getting your sensor professionally cleaned.  It's not terribly expensive (around $80 USD where I live), and occasionally my favorite camera shop with do them for free with Canon/Nikon reps visit the store.

I would shy away from doing it yourself, since it's very easy to damage a camera sensor if you don't have the right tools.  Especially with a $3,500 piece of equipment... spending the ~$80 to have it done professionally is a no brainer IMHO.

If some particulates on your sensor is the worst damage that was done to your camera, consider yourself lucky!
5D mark III, 7D, Sigma 12-24mm II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L, 135mm f/2L, 2x TC III

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 01:37:36 PM »
I would send the camera to Canon. I mean if these are really plastic particles or such they are broken off from somehwere in the camera body! Thats not good by any means....

Cptn Rigo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • rodrigomarta.com
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »
Does anyone knows how much canon charges for cleaning the sensor?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 03:14:28 PM »
If u send ur camera to Canon they will tell u whats wrong with it and propose a price to you. Then u can accept it or refuse it if its too expensive :)

Cptn Rigo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • rodrigomarta.com
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 04:06:22 PM »
If u send ur camera to Canon they will tell u whats wrong with it and propose a price to you. Then u can accept it or refuse it if its too expensive :)

Thanks a lot!  :)

bkorcel

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 04:35:43 PM »
You can call or emailCanon and they will give you a price for cleaning.  Any additional repair needed after sending it in they will contact you first with a repair estimate.

Thanks a lot!  :)

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 04:40:39 PM »
I Just downloaded the pics and noticed on a photo some "dust"... continue checking and all the pics have that same dark spots in the same places... tracking the pictures, these dots appreared just after the impact...

I already did the "clean sensor" several times and the spots are in the same place, shoot with another lenses... the same, even shoot with mirror lock, the dots are there...

Considering the size of the particles you don't even need a magnifying glass to have a look what it is - use "manual sensor cleaning" and have a look, esp. if you see where they come from. If it isn't obvious the point where the plastic was knocked off doesn't matter you can get a repair price from Canon, but since it's your fault be prepared for a shock - or use the guy's insurance that knocked down your camera.

If you want to do it yourself even a $10 rocket blower will help because the particles are so large (turn camera upside down & blow a couple of times). In either case having a rocket blower is useful because auto-cleaning never did do anything for me. For more cleaning look at this, I do it often w/o the butterfly part:

DSLR Sensor Cleaning (The LensRentals.com Method) Small | Large

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 04:45:27 PM »
It looks like some debris on the rear element of the lens.  Don't forget to check and clean it.  I'd send the lens and camera in for a full checkup in any event.

extremeinstability

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Instability.com
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 05:10:38 PM »
I would never send it in and pay anyone to clean a sensor.  It's really simple to just do it yourself and actually pretty hard to screw things up.  You're simply cleaning off a clear piece of plastic over the sensor.  The in-cam dust remover is a joke and if it does anything is more of a dust-mover-arounder.  Blower bottle works 90% of the time.  I just bought a thing from the grocery store for babies.  Snot sucker or something.  Then it's worth buying some sensor cleaning wads and the right solution.  Screw paying overpriced fees for someone else to do that.  Especially give if you use your gear much you'll be needing to do it frequently anyway. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 05:10:38 PM »

extremeinstability

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Instability.com
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 05:18:26 PM »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/242758-REG/Photographic_Solutions_SS2BOX_Sensor_Swab_Type_2.html

For when the blower bottle doesn't get it out.  I often won't even put any solution on the swab.  Man the companies making those have to make some money lol.  A stick with a fabric on the end, $35. 

Rat

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 05:38:02 PM »
I often won't even put any solution on the swab. 
Solution is not just some sort of soap, but also lubricant - your swab is more abrasive if you do not apply any. I'd strongly recommend you always use it.

I cleaned my Rebel sensor as a matter of course, but my 5D3... Let's just say I hope it won't need to be cleaned for some time ;)

GL @ TS - my Rebel fell on concrete once from about two feet high. I feel your shock ::)
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 05:38:02 PM »