October 25, 2014, 03:55:21 PM

Author Topic: 5D mkIII image "Dust" after impact  (Read 5597 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: 5D mkIII image "Dust" after impact
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 07:31:42 PM »
The issue is the source of the bits.  they are not dust, something broke either in the lens or in the camera body.  Not all the parts may have went into the light path, some of them may be lurking ready to destroy the shutter and create a very expensive repair.
Do not use the camera or lens, have both checked out.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 07:31:42 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 07:36:24 PM »
For when the blower bottle doesn't get it out.

I'd again point to the LensRentals method here, they state wet cleaning is a pain in the a** and can/should be replaced with a lens pen and a silicon stamp - works for me and you don't use up expensive fluid or swabs.

Well, imho he can still use the lens (it should be quite visible if something's splintered) but after some thought I have to agree with you here. The self-serving method was meant for the case when it's clear there is no danger of further collateral damage.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 08:05:53 PM »
The issue is the source of the bits.  they are not dust, something broke either in the lens or in the camera body.  Not all the parts may have went into the light path, some of them may be lurking ready to destroy the shutter and create a very expensive repair.
+1000
Entirely agree. Why take a chance.

broseph

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 06:33:09 PM »
If you do it yourself use micro fiber, softest you can find. Cotton has a tun of fiber and can scratch stuff. I would also try and find canned air without an added bitterant. I have noticed, that will leave a film/cloud behind. Good luck

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 07:03:29 PM »
I would also try and find canned air without an added bitterant. I have noticed, that will leave a film/cloud behind. Good luck
Canned air is not air. I wouldn't ever use it on your sensor, with or without bittering agent. Alternatively, an air compressor delivers much too much punch for your camera and, again, it will probably just move the dust around, rather than removing it. Better cleaning tips have been given above, esp. in the video.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 07:08:54 PM by Rat »
Fed up with brandism.

Cptn Rigo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • rodrigomarta.com
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 01:23:52 PM »
I decided to not take chances... The camera is on the way to Canon Factory Service Center in Irvine,CA. Like 130 miles from home.

:-\
5D MkIII + 35L, 85L, 135L, 70-300L, 24-70L II

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 01:31:15 PM »
I decided to not take chances... The camera is on the way to Canon Factory Service Center in Irvine,CA. Like 130 miles from home.

:-\
Smile! :)
A number of people have said that Canon service is good. I am sure you will be happy when it gets back...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 01:31:15 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 02:07:06 PM »
I decided to not take chances...

Let us know what they said and how much the cost was - other people might experience the same problem.

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 03:05:47 PM »
Smile! :)
+1 - your puppy will be as good as new shortly, I'd have done the same.
Fed up with brandism.

Cptn Rigo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • rodrigomarta.com
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »
UPDATE:

The Puppy (5D mkIII) has arrived and received in Canon Factory Service Center in Irvine, Ca. "Repair Status: Submitted"

besides the dust, I pointed out that the grip was coming off near the shutter... It never happened in my 7D (2.5 years of heavy use)

Cptn Rigo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • rodrigomarta.com
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 08:30:18 PM »
Update:
Just received an email from Canon:

Canon USA Factory Service Repair Notification‏

We have received your equipment for evaluation and repair. Based on our initial examination, we will begin the necessary repairs at no charge to you. You
can expect the repairs to be completed and shipped back to you within approximately 7 business days* from the date shown above. There is no need to
respond to this notice.
Any damage due to liquid, sand, corrosion, battery leakage, or accidental damage is specifically excluded from warranty coverage. In the unlikely event that
any internal or external damage is found due to any of the above mentioned conditions, a revised estimate will be sent for your authorization.
The Canon U.S.A., Inc. Repair Facility may repair your equipment or exchange it for refurbished equipment of the same model, or for new or refurbished
equipment of an equivalent model to your equipment, with the same or additional features. Recovered, manufactured, repaired and/or recycled parts may be
used in connection with such repair.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you!"

Description of Problem/Symptoms
We have received your equipment for evaluation and repair. Based on our initial examination, we will begin the necessary repairs at no charge to you. You
can expect the repairs to be completed and shipped back to you within approximately 7 business days* from the date shown above. There is no need to
respond to this notice.
Any damage due to liquid, sand, corrosion, battery leakage, or accidental damage is specifically excluded from warranty coverage. In the unlikely event that
any internal or external damage is found due to any of the above mentioned conditions, a revised estimate will be sent for your authorization.
The Canon U.S.A., Inc. Repair Facility may repair your equipment or exchange it for refurbished equipment of the same model, or for new or refurbished
equipment of an equivalent model to your equipment, with the same or additional features. Recovered, manufactured, repaired and/or recycled parts may be
used in connection with such repair.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you!

Black spots in images, rubber grip near shutter release switch is peeling. check all functions and repair to good working order. No response needed.

all seems good until now  :)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 10:09:32 PM »
UPDATE:

The Puppy (5D mkIII) has arrived and received in Canon Factory Service Center in Irvine, Ca. "Repair Status: Submitted"

besides the dust, I pointed out that the grip was coming off near the shutter... It never happened in my 7D (2.5 years of heavy use)
I hope you also sent the lens.  Its very easy to decenter the elements in a lens, a common issue.  Probably a fairly good chance that it happened.  You should check once you get the body back.

Cptn Rigo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • rodrigomarta.com
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 01:22:27 PM »
I hope you also sent the lens.  Its very easy to decenter the elements in a lens, a common issue.  Probably a fairly good chance that it happened.  You should check once you get the body back.

I haven't, Did some quick test and the lest is fine, however when the camera arrives will test it again.

UPDATE:
Repair status: Repair in progress

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 01:22:27 PM »