November 24, 2014, 03:17:17 AM

Author Topic: Advise Exposure correction versus evaluative metering  (Read 1187 times)

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
Advise Exposure correction versus evaluative metering
« on: October 22, 2012, 06:22:27 AM »
Just recently I purchased the 5D MK III
I noticed that while using AV(did not check M or TV) in combination with Evaluative metering my photos (using 24-105 and 70-200 MK II) are about 1 stop underexposed. I do not have this with my 7D. I thought both use the same meteringsystem. Did the metering change in the 5D MK III? Or do I need return the camera for a check?
I can correct of course the exposure. Even in post-processing. I can use also a different metering but I am just surprised of different behaviour compared to my 7D. It now means that all the time using AV icw EM I have to use + 1 stop EC

Can someone help me with some advise and explanation? Thanks!

ps sorry if this subject was already addressed. Couldn't find it

canon rumors FORUM

Advise Exposure correction versus evaluative metering
« on: October 22, 2012, 06:22:27 AM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Advise Exposure correction versus evaluative metering
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 06:33:35 AM »
Highly normal. It was the same or worse with the 5d2 also. I welcomed the the new +3 to -3 scale, but at the same time I found myself using it in the same way as the scale on the 5d2, meaning it needed even more. A lot of backlit situations I used +3 stops which I never had to use before. I didn't like metering in any of them... the 1d X on the other hand is the best. I have ever tried...
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 06:43:02 AM »
Highly normal. It was the same or worse with the 5d2 also. I welcomed the the new +3 to -3 scale, but at the same time I found myself using it in the same way as the scale on the 5d2, meaning it needed even more. A lot of backlit situations I used +3 stops which I never had to use before. I didn't like metering in any of them... the 1d X on the other hand is the best. I have ever tried...

Thanks Viggo for your reaction. Does it mean that while using the 1D X you have a first time right? No EC tweaking?
And, would/do you avoid Evaluative Metering?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 06:43:02 AM »