December 15, 2017, 03:14:24 PM

Author Topic: Out with my 7D....in with what..? 5D MkIII or 1D MkIV..?  (Read 15852 times)

Subevent

Re: Out with my 7D....in with what..? 5D MkIII or 1D MkIV..?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 02:43:22 AM »
If the Tokina is the only wideangle you have, depending on your style for landscapes, you may find it a little wide on the 5D MkIII (although you could of course crop). Also, if you want to progress your landscapes, filters would come in useful at some point. If your focus wa going to be mainly on landscapes, with some wildlife, I would say the 5D MkIII. I found myself using it almost exlusively instead of the 7D for wildlife a couple of weeks ago wihile I was away. Howeever, if your main focus is on wildlife with some landscapes, then I would opt for the 1D MkIV, unless you want to do a lot of low light work (although the 1D MkIV is certainly capable there too). I haven't used it myself, but the IQ is in a different league to the 7D (as is the 5D MkIII).

Thanks for your reply...
I would say more wildlife than landscapes for me...although landscapes is a new thrill, my passion is for birds. Also - of course roadracing - which mainly is about midday shooting with panning action at ...um...let´s say 1/60 and faster - and those high-speed shots in chase of a blurred background...

I understand that the new 5D III is a gadget-filled camera with a whole new way of thinking in several ways. ...and that the Mark IV is a sturdy, no-nonsense workhorse.
The Tokina lens will probably be sold or swapped for something else that fits either of the houses...(I even thought that the Tokina couldn´t fit those cameras at all...)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 02:43:22 AM »

Subevent

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 02:48:31 AM »
Wait until January and see if canon is going to talk about the 7D mk2
If you are doing EVERYTHING, than go for the 5D Mk. III. It's burst rate is fast enough, it's AF is pretty good, It has a lot of new and improved tecnology, including the Digic V processor, if i'm not mistaken.

If It were me, I would do the 5D III. It is more of an all around camera, and if a "professional" camera costs less than the 5D Mk III...... you may want to make sure it works  ;)

Yeah...I´m actually is one for doing everything with my camera... I´m dying to try out macro too and the one thing I don´t do yet to any extent is portrait and studiowork...
Maybe the 5D is more of an all-rounder...

I´m mostly terrified of making a wrong turn here and spend a great deal of money on the "wrong" camera.

Subevent

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 02:52:09 AM »

Also, a word of warning on the Sigma 120-300: reviews have it that AF is not all that reliable, which is why I scratched it from my must-have list. If you don't have a good copy, you can't shoot what you want, when you want it. I'd say that lens is not guaranteed suitable for sports and birding, and your purchase will involve risk ;)

For more reach, I think most of your solutions would work. Any 300/2.8 with an extender means 600mm and that's 1.5 times your current resolving power. I think my 5D3 is significantly sharper than a 7D, especially at high iso - it's not double, but it might come close to your 7D with 200mm extra. I don't think the 1D4 will make a much bigger difference. For versatility, I'd choose the 5D3 over the 1D4 because of the freedom the high iso performance gives you, which I'd value higher than framerate.

Thank´s for the heads-up on the Sigma. It is more and more looking like a choice between cameras now... :)
I can feel it in my gut...probably the 5D is the right choice after all...but theres a hefty pricetag and I´ll also need to get me a batterygrip which will cost me a bit more still...

argh...

Subevent

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 02:58:54 AM »
First of all, nice pics on your site.
Thank you so much!! :)

I went from a 7d to a 5d mkiii and am pleased to say the least, but for a lot of what you are photographing I think the 7d is a good camera. 

Yeah...i´ts not a bad camera...but what I lack is that "oomph" in the images I tend too see everywhere else...both in landscapes and sports. ...hard to explain but one thing I havent mentioned is that I often crop my images. Would this have any impact on wich body to choose?

Subevent

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 03:04:20 AM »
Noise, even at iso 100 is much better, which is very obvious at 100% viewing of, for example, blue sky areas. 

That´s something I feel the 7D is really struggling with. When I bought it and replaced my 40D - I was amazed that I got better shots at higher ISO with the 7D. Downside was noise even at ISO 100. Don´t get me wrong here...I´m a hobby photographer and the 7D probably would suffice, but "suffice" is not the thing I´m looking for. I really wan´t to be "wowed" and kickstart myself as a photographer again - and for that I wan´t to see significant IQ-improvement regardless of which camera I´ll choose.  :)

Subevent

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 03:07:08 AM »
I have both the 5D iii, and 1D IV. I purchased the 2nd hand 1D IV after the 5D iii, in particular because I wished to practise bird photography, however for low-light shots or sunsets, I prefer the 5D iii, not so much because of iso performance (1D IV, although not as good as 5D iii is actually not too bad in my opinion) but due to the 1D IV has a problem with AF having difficulty locking focus in very low light.

If I had to limit myself to just one of these great cameras, 5D iii would be the choice by a narrow margin.

I notice that the 7D also have trouble locking focus at low light when I shoot landscapes. I haven´t thought so much about it but just gone MF...

Maybe that will be different if I choose a Canon-lens instead of the Tokina..?

Subevent

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 03:12:18 AM »
If you want Landscape camera go with the 5D MKIII.
If you want a Wildlife camera go with the 1D Mark IV.

But my suggestions is this;

Don't buy either one. Sell your 100-400mm. Take the 2 or 3K that you were going to apply to the new body, it will give you close to 4K. Then find a good used 300mm f/2.8L IS original version. You should be able to find one between 3.5 and 4.5K depending on condition.  This lens will do more for you IQ  than either of those bodies and put your photography at another level.

Sounds smart...
One thing I haven´t mentioned is that I often shoot handheld, but I would probably change style according to equipment too. I can say that firstly on my wishlist is of course the lens you describe. It´s almost the "standard" nowadays for sports and also birds/wildlife... Problem is I´m on a budget and the only way for me to get new gear is unfortunately to sell off old gear...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 03:12:18 AM »

Subevent

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 03:18:23 AM »
I had the 7D.  It is a great camera for the price.  About 8 months ago I purchased a 1DM4 and then sold the 7D.  The Mark4 is a superb camera and I have been extremely happy with it.  I have 5 L series lenses and my favorite lens is my 100-400.  I take pics of my kids playing sports, birds, college football games, and use a 16-35 2.8 for landscapes - when I want to get wide. 

You are here asking a question about what you should do.  Based upon your situation, and when I compare it to mine, I would say go with the Mark4 and don't get rid of that 100-400!

Interesting... and what´s more interesting is that I actually could get the Mark IV at such a low price. I looked at the camera  - and although I´m as far away from a camera-technician as I could be - it really looked unused. It´s been swapped in from a company and the cameradealer, who has it on the shelf is the most wellknown pro-dealer we have...
So...if I look at the from a pure, cheapist and economical wiewpoint - going with the Mark IV will get me a camera thats "ready to go" while if I spend some more cash I´ll get the 5D which sounds more allround but which I need to equip a bit... but it would of course be brand new.

Oh well...

Subevent

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 03:25:24 AM »
I would say get rid of that dog the 7d. Its a rebel in a hardbody that has to be the most mismatched sensor with the rest of the cam. When you go to the ff body you will never look back at the 7d. I am amazed at those who try to be kind to the 7d through out these forums. Like the girl above who says that she still loves the 7d but is really impressed at how much better 5D3 is - jeez please be honest.  BTW why would you want to wait for the 7dii its not like you existing lenses/equipment/compatibility are 7D series lenses. Consider even the 6D.

Well...I suppose youre vote is for the 5D then...cause the 1D isn´t FF. :)
The 6D I have already dismissed as being too small and too slow...but I see what you mean.
Hell...I thought the 40D was good until I tried the 7D...and now I´m off to something else.

natureshots

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 05:09:51 AM »
Just dealt with this decision. I got the 1d MkIV and I'm very glad I did. The biggest issue is f8 autofocus. If you really want to do bird photography f8 autofocus is EXTREMELY important. Will the 5dIII do better in very low light (6400+) and make prettier landscapes? Yes. Will the 1d MkIV make better bird pics? yes. I'd highly recommend you get a 1d MkIV and a kenko 1.4x or canon 1.4x MKII (2) to put on your 100-400.  You will thank me, I take checks and paypal. Try it out at your shop or rent the 1d MkIV and a 1.4x. I'd be interested to hear how the 5d III does with a kenko and 100-400, I've heard its OK and I've heard its unusable. The 1d and that combo is tried and tested. PS-Sigma sucks, I'm 2/2 for crappy equipment that breaks in less than a year. Customer service sucks too. If you can wait for the the 7D update that's an even better idea but I can tell you have the new camera smell in your nostrils.

Subevent

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 10:03:24 AM »
Just dealt with this decision. I got the 1d MkIV and I'm very glad I did. The biggest issue is f8 autofocus. If you really want to do bird photography f8 autofocus is EXTREMELY important. Will the 5dIII do better in very low light (6400+) and make prettier landscapes? Yes. Will the 1d MkIV make better bird pics? yes. I'd highly recommend you get a 1d MkIV and a kenko 1.4x or canon 1.4x MKII (2) to put on your 100-400.  You will thank me, I take checks and paypal. Try it out at your shop or rent the 1d MkIV and a 1.4x. I'd be interested to hear how the 5d III does with a kenko and 100-400, I've heard its OK and I've heard its unusable. The 1d and that combo is tried and tested. PS-Sigma sucks, I'm 2/2 for crappy equipment that breaks in less than a year. Customer service sucks too. If you can wait for the the 7D update that's an even better idea but I can tell you have the new camera smell in your nostrils.

Yeah well...you know how it is. All of a sudden theres an opportunity and I´m kinda fretting that it will slip out of reach if I don´t act on it. So...the 5D will probably make more of my landscapes...but I guess the 1D does it better than the 7D anyway...
The TC option is something I haven´t even thought was possible...but it sounds great!

Rat

• EOS 80D
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 10:12:34 AM »
Your decision just got a little harder: seems from April on, the 5D3 will officially support f/8 lenses and combo's, too. Obviously too early to say how the speed will be, but this does mean you can use Canon TC's as well.

Hope this helps :P

[edit]Whoops, forgot the link: http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/10/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-firmware-adds-hdmi-af-upgrades/ :)
Fed up with brandism.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 11:30:52 AM »
Hi y´all!

My first post in this forum is a question you may have heard before...but I´ll try it out anyway.
I´ve been using the 7D since it was released and today my main lenses are a 100-400 L IS and a Tokina 11-16 2,8. I mainly shoot wildlife (birds), roadracing and recently I started to fiddle a bit with landscapes as well... (examles at www.subevent.se)

Now...firstly I wanted to look for a new lens which would be faster and give me a better "reach"...and I got stuck on the Sigma 120-300 2,8 OS EX...because I thought it would be nice with a 2x converter.
But on the way I´ve started to wonder if it wasn´t time for a new camera instead...

What I ultimately want is still speed for birds and roadracing...but also an improvement in image quality for my landscape shots. (well...to be honest I want a IQ-improvement across the board)
I talked to my local cameradealer who also happened to have a used Sigma-lens available - and asked him if I should go for a camera or the lens. (I almost always get the answer to go for the lens - but not this time)
His adwise was to get a used 1D Mark IV or the new 5D Mark III instead...and I could tell he was lobbying toward the 1D Mark IV.

So...what is the feel about this? If I am to change the camera - I want to see a real difference in IQ which is the main reason for me to let go of the 7D.
The cameradealer sat neatly on a used Mark IV as well - which looked really fine and would cost me less than the 5D...

...eh...help?

/Patrik
www.subevent.se

you've got excellent work.

If your doing more action, the 1D4 makes sense. If you do mild action and landscapes the 5D3 makes sense.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 11:30:52 AM »

Subevent

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 11:46:44 AM »
Your decision just got a little harder: seems from April on, the 5D3 will officially support f/8 lenses and combo's, too. Obviously too early to say how the speed will be, but this does mean you can use Canon TC's as well.

Hope this helps :P

[edit]Whoops, forgot the link: http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/10/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-firmware-adds-hdmi-af-upgrades/ :)

...yeah well...the problem is always that if one waits out just a bit more there will come something new. :) ...but then the new is already old... But you sure gave me pause for thoughts...again.

Subevent

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 11:53:16 AM »

www.subevent.se

you've got excellent work.

If your doing more action, the 1D4 makes sense. If you do mild action and landscapes the 5D3 makes sense.
[/quote]

Thank you so much...! I'm glad you liked the shots..!
I wonder if I wouldn't feel hampered by a slower camera...so you have come to the same conclusion as myself I think..
Eh...or the other way around I mean.
Anyway...time to decide has been postponed...probably until the end of the week.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 11:53:16 AM »