July 25, 2014, 05:19:48 PM

Author Topic: Out with my 7D....in with what..? 5D MkIII or 1D MkIV..?  (Read 7275 times)

Subevent

Re: Out with my 7D....in with what..? 5D MkIII or 1D MkIV..?
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 11:55:33 AM »
I want to thank you all for taking the time to answer my question...and rest assured it has been of great help! So...have I decided yet? Nope...I'll sleep on it. :) ...and come Thursday I'll pop in to the store again an fiddle with the two cameras again. Maybe I'll get some flash of insight then...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 11:55:33 AM »

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 12:19:04 PM »
I've got both cameras. I'll try to put up some ISO comparison tests and DR tests for you to take a look at if you think that will help. I just put the 7D against the Nikon D600 and the 5D mkIII against the D600 and in dynamic range, the D600 beat the 7D by alot but only inched ahead of the 5D mk III. In low light, ,the 5D beat the D600 by half a stop and the D600 beat the 7D by half a stop (raw files with no NR). You can take a look at the tests here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/learningcameras

natureshots

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 01:40:24 PM »
Just dealt with this decision. I got the 1d MkIV and I'm very glad I did. The biggest issue is f8 autofocus. If you really want to do bird photography f8 autofocus is EXTREMELY important. Will the 5dIII do better in very low light (6400+) and make prettier landscapes? Yes. Will the 1d MkIV make better bird pics? yes. I'd highly recommend you get a 1d MkIV and a kenko 1.4x or canon 1.4x MKII (2) to put on your 100-400.  You will thank me, I take checks and paypal. Try it out at your shop or rent the 1d MkIV and a 1.4x. I'd be interested to hear how the 5d III does with a kenko and 100-400, I've heard its OK and I've heard its unusable. The 1d and that combo is tried and tested. PS-Sigma sucks, I'm 2/2 for crappy equipment that breaks in less than a year. Customer service sucks too. If you can wait for the the 7D update that's an even better idea but I can tell you have the new camera smell in your nostrils.

Yeah well...you know how it is. All of a sudden theres an opportunity and I´m kinda fretting that it will slip out of reach if I don´t act on it. So...the 5D will probably make more of my landscapes...but I guess the 1D does it better than the 7D anyway...
The TC option is something I haven´t even thought was possible...but it sounds great!
Read the front page if you haven't already. I'm quite pissed at canon USA for making me buy the wrong goddamn camera based on something you can fix with a firmware update. I'm still accepting paypal and checks this time for my new 5d mkIII fund.

natureshots

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2012, 01:42:25 PM »
Just dealt with this decision. I got the 1d MkIV and I'm very glad I did. The biggest issue is f8 autofocus. If you really want to do bird photography f8 autofocus is EXTREMELY important. Will the 5dIII do better in very low light (6400+) and make prettier landscapes? Yes. Will the 1d MkIV make better bird pics? yes. I'd highly recommend you get a 1d MkIV and a kenko 1.4x or canon 1.4x MKII (2) to put on your 100-400.  You will thank me, I take checks and paypal. Try it out at your shop or rent the 1d MkIV and a 1.4x. I'd be interested to hear how the 5d III does with a kenko and 100-400, I've heard its OK and I've heard its unusable. The 1d and that combo is tried and tested. PS-Sigma sucks, I'm 2/2 for crappy equipment that breaks in less than a year. Customer service sucks too. If you can wait for the the 7D update that's an even better idea but I can tell you have the new camera smell in your nostrils.

Yeah well...you know how it is. All of a sudden theres an opportunity and I´m kinda fretting that it will slip out of reach if I don´t act on it. So...the 5D will probably make more of my landscapes...but I guess the 1D does it better than the 7D anyway...
The TC option is something I haven´t even thought was possible...but it sounds great!
Read the front page if you haven't already. I'm quite pissed at canon USA for making me buy the wrong goddamn camera based on something you can fix with a firmware update. I'm still accepting paypal and checks this time for my new 5d mkIII fund.
Learn from my mistakes. Buy glass.

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2012, 02:11:54 PM »
I need the money myself for my TS/E-fund :P but I seriously empathize. I hope you can offload it without too big a loss, but otherwise you still have a far superior burst rate, superior build quality and an extra 30% free reach. And a camera that will make 95% of CR visitors srsly jealous - including me, and I *have* a 5D3.

Of course, I'm pretty happy with the announcement, but I am also a little puzzled about it for just this reason - they could have forseen they would @!$$ people like you off. Until yesterday, you wanted f/8 AF, you should buy a 1D. I guess no more...

But I still think the 5D3 would be a pretty good move for the TS, even if it means getting a new UWA. After all, there's only so much glass you can put on a camera before it's just not worth it anymore. I'm still reeling from how much better my 70-200 is on that 5D3, moving up from a Rebel. And any future glass will immediately benefit from that IQ jump too.
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

Subevent

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012, 02:37:57 PM »

[/quote]
[/quote]

Woah...! Talk about a quick revision then... I hope you can get it sorted, mate!

Subevent

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 02:52:01 PM »
I need the money myself for my TS/E-fund :P but I seriously empathize. I hope you can offload it without too big a loss, but otherwise you still have a far superior burst rate, superior build quality and an extra 30% free reach. And a camera that will make 95% of CR visitors srsly jealous - including me, and I *have* a 5D3.

Of course, I'm pretty happy with the announcement, but I am also a little puzzled about it for just this reason - they could have forseen they would @!$$ people like you off. Until yesterday, you wanted f/8 AF, you should buy a 1D. I guess no more...

But I still think the 5D3 would be a pretty good move for the TS, even if it means getting a new UWA. After all, there's only so much glass you can put on a camera before it's just not worth it anymore. I'm still reeling from how much better my 70-200 is on that 5D3, moving up from a Rebel. And any future glass will immediately benefit from that IQ jump too.

Yeah...I´m kinda getting partial to the 5D as this discussion gets more and more narrow. Sad thing...if I want a batterygrip the want like 3k here in Sweden. Thats like d¤%/mned expensive...!
If I´m going after the 5D Mark III the price-hysteria will have to settle a bit first...
Right now:
1D Mark IV (used): 23.995,00 SEK (2664 Euro)
5D Mark III with batterygrip and one xtra battery: 27000 + 3000 + 800=30800 SEK (3331 Euro)

Well...I can always get the house only...but a grip is a must have!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 02:52:01 PM »

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 02:58:55 PM »
Well...I can always get the house only...but a grip is a must have!
There are a lot of third party grips, if you search around you can probably find a few threads here. I think the one in highest regard is the Pixel, less than 100 usd on eBay and reasonably sturdy. Although I wouldn't want to depend on the tripod mount screw, which is why I bought the original, expensive Canon  :-\
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 02:58:55 PM »