July 25, 2014, 08:17:17 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware adds HDMI & AF Upgrades  (Read 30735 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware adds HDMI & AF Upgrades
« on: October 23, 2012, 09:27:14 AM »
NEW FIRMWARE UPDATE FOR CANON EOS 5D MARK III DIGITAL SLR CAMERA PROVIDES UNCOMPRESSED HDMI OUTPUT SUPPORT AND IMPROVED AF PERFORMANCE
LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., October 23, 2012 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced a new firmware update for the EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR camera that significantly improves the camera’s performance and usability. In response to requests from professionals working in the fields of cinema and television production, the firmware update enables the use of uncompressed HDMI Output support, making possible more efficient video editing and monitoring procedures. Additionally, the upgrade supports the advanced needs of photographers through improved AF performance when capturing still images.

Uncompressed HDMI Output Support
When shooting video, HDMI Output makes possible the recording of high-definition uncompressed video data (YCbCr 4:2:2, 8 bit) from the EOS 5D Mark III to an external recorder via the camera’s HDMI terminal. This, in turn, facilitates the editing of video data with minimal image degradation for greater on-site workflow efficiency during motion picture and video productions. Additionally, video being captured can be displayed on an external monitor, enabling real-time, on-site monitoring of high-definition video during shooting.

Improved AF Functionality
Even when the EOS 5D Mark III is equipped with an extender and lens making possible a maximum aperture of f/8, the firmware update supports AF employing the camera’s central cross-type points (currently compatible with maximum apertures up to f/5.6). Accordingly, the update will allow users to take advantage of AF when shooting distant subjects, benefitting sports and nature photographers, particularly when using telephoto lenses.

The new firmware update will be available, at no charge, in April 2013 from the Canon U.S.A. website and can be downloaded by end users or through Canon Factory Service Centers.

5D Mark III at B&H (Body | Kit) Amazon (Body | Kit), Adorama (Body | Kit)

cr

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:30:03 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware adds HDMI & AF Upgrades
« on: October 23, 2012, 09:27:14 AM »

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware adds HDMI & AF Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 09:29:07 AM »
Let the complaining for everyone's wishlist missing features and the April 2013 date begin...
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 09:33:12 AM »
So...they gave the 5DIII the f/8 AF but NOT the AI Servo AF point illumination 'fix'?!?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

crasher8

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 09:34:29 AM »
We're going to need to pop a lot of popcorn for the next 6 months.

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 09:34:44 AM »
Wow. Bravo on adding uncompressed HDMI! But I guess they might have had to since ML just did it.

I'm confused by adding f8 support and not AF point illunimation...
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

bbasiaga

• EOS M2
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 09:35:07 AM »
I'm a bit shocked about the missing red AF points in AI servo...would have thought the AF part of the upgrade would be identical to that of the 1Dx.  OR that we'd have gotten the red points, but not F/8 AF since that's been a 1D series feature exclusively to this point. 

Also wonder why they'd announce this 6 months before it was availabile....not like its killing me not to have it.  Just seems really strange to announce something so far in advance.  The 1Dx and 7D firmwares were available almost the same day, right? 

-Brian
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:37:41 AM by bbasiaga »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:35:40 AM »
The new firmware update will be available, at no charge, in April 2013 from the Canon U.S.A. website and can be downloaded by end users or through Canon Factory Service Centers.

Oh, and 5DIII users have to wait 6 months to get it...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:35:40 AM »

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:37:11 AM »
This is awesome for many users. I didn't see anything about lighting up the AF points like the 1Dx update had but maybe it will come. But even the features included take away 2 huge selling points of the D800 over the 5D3

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 09:37:43 AM »
April?

Seriously? April?

Really?

b&

crasher8

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 09:37:50 AM »
At least if we are going to be teased they could have posted the announcement with a pair of those cute and perky Japanese trade show girls. Oh yeah, this isn't Engadget.

Gothmoth

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 09:39:53 AM »
LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., October 23, 2012 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced a new firmware update for the EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR camera that improves the camera’s performance and usability.

AI Servo AF point illumination will be added with a Firmware Update around August 2014.

kevl

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 09:41:32 AM »
I got very excited when I saw the news, but where is the AF point illumination? Uncompressed HDMI is cool and all but AF Point illumination in AI servo has become VERY important to me since I have started using that mode almost exclusively.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 09:46:05 AM »
Oh my. I see a second 5D3 in my kit soon with this update.

Good job canon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 09:46:05 AM »

Ewinter

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 09:48:16 AM »
Yes it's a way off but they could have just not bothered. I'll wager they add red af by then

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 09:48:29 AM »
April 2013? You mean April 1st 2013? Because in that case everything is explained  :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 09:48:29 AM »