April 24, 2014, 09:18:45 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware adds HDMI & AF Upgrades  (Read 27973 times)

Rat

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware adds HDMI & AF Upgrades
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 10:19:52 AM »
Can anyone explain the particulars here what this means with regard to video with the 5D3.....?
It's only relevant for professionals. There are no consumer grade hdmi recorders because it would mean digital video copying on a humungous scale. The cheapest recorders you can find are in the $5K region, I think.

Uncompressed does mean that you can achieve a higher bit rate than what is stored to the cards, but I couldn't say anything about the magnitude of the difference.

For me, this is a forgettable extra, anyway. Ymmv :)
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 10:19:52 AM »

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 10:26:37 AM »
Can anyone explain the particulars here what this means with regard to video with the 5D3.....?
It's only relevant for professionals. There are no consumer grade hdmi recorders because it would mean digital video copying on a humungous scale. The cheapest recorders you can find are in the $5K region, I think.

Uncompressed does mean that you can achieve a higher bit rate than what is stored to the cards, but I couldn't say anything about the magnitude of the difference.

For me also. I don't really care, I'm just impressed they did it--er, are going to do it.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

Bob Howland

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 10:34:01 AM »

I think this will do it. It isn't $5K but it isn't cheap.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/759453-REG/ATOMOS_ATOMNJA001_ATOMNJA001_Ninja_Video_Hard.html

What I find puzzling is the 6-month delay. It's almost as if this really is a reaction to the most recent Magic Lantern announcements.

Update - Correction: Wrong Ninja: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/858661-REG/ATOMOS_ATOMNJA002_Ninja_2.html
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 10:43:07 AM by Bob Howland »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2012, 10:38:42 AM »

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/759453-REG/ATOMOS_ATOMNJA001_ATOMNJA001_Ninja_Video_Hard.html

What I find puzzling is the 6-month delay. It's almost as if this really is a reaction to the most recent Magic Lantern announcements.

Not recommended as a solution for recording the live HDMI output of DSLR cameras.

Bob Howland

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2012, 10:39:51 AM »

Not recommended as a solution for recording the live HDMI output of DSLR cameras.

How about this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/858661-REG/ATOMOS_ATOMNJA002_Ninja_2.html

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012, 10:45:38 AM »

How about this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/858661-REG/ATOMOS_ATOMNJA002_Ninja_2.html

Yes! It looks OK and ... 1000$ :(

Rat

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 10:46:07 AM »
I don't know if you'll fare better with this one but I do stand corrected, hdmi recording is apparently much cheaper than since I last checked. Thanks for that :)
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 10:46:07 AM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 10:49:12 AM »
Red Light AF illumination in AF Servo would be much much cheaper though  :( ... for us  :D

ahsanford

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2012, 10:52:17 AM »

Glad to see a positive step forward.  I know video folks will really appreciate the HDMI option (without having to hack their firmware).

That said, a bar has been set with the 7D firmware that new functionality will be unlocked.  I honestly hope we get more by April:

• AF Illumination! (just shocked we aren't getting the 1DX fix here)
  • Deeper button reconfiguration options - only some buttons can do certain things, this should be expanded
  • Rating photos should be recognized by vanilla handler programs like iPhoto (I know -- Apple could fix this, too)
  • Would love to see the electronic level (the in viewfinder one) automatically toggle on when shooting vertically as I don't use a grip.  This is simple enough to enable as they already have accel/gyro support for separate horizontal and vertical AF point selection, right?
  • As I shoot a lot in the dark, the -3EV AF capability of the new 6D would be a nice pickup, but I am assuming that this is all hardware and off the table.  (But here's hoping)

Thanks for digging into this, Canon.  I hope they read these threads for ideas.  :-P

- A

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2012, 10:53:37 AM »
So far in less than a year, I've personally and professionally never had problems needing F8 (but i DONT use extenders) and haven't had problems with the red dots, although if i need servo tracking, I opt for ai focus which gives me red initial illumination...  For what I do, I haven't had any issues...  uncompressed HD, while I am implementing video in my packages with the 5d3, I'm not doing any fancy smancy big screen stuff, just short fusion videos to add to my animoto slide shows...  So meh overall, but if I ever run into the situation where I need to use extenders, then woo hoo
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2012, 11:38:10 AM »
uggg....this is like a bittersweet update.  While I am glad to see something, it feels like this update is mainly geared for video users (which I guess we just have to suck that one up because video does drive sales).  But, as someone who has found themselves using servo more often for wedding work, it's  hard because the servo is fantastic, but, without a red blinking light you're operating on faith- which is kind of a hard thing to do during a dark wedding reception.  Will this stop me from shooting in servo mode?  Hell no!!!Will it make me grumble about how video get all the perks?  Yes!  All that said though, 6 months is plenty enough time to fix/add things, so it may be a bit early to get out panties in a bunch over this.
Owns 5Dmkiii, 16-35mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 580 EXII, 2 430 EX's

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »
Unless ... they plan to release the AF illumination fix as a minor upgrade much sooner   ::) (Now we have to laugh from time to time)

kidcharles

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 11:48:02 AM »
I'm guessing that they wanted to announce this stuff to prevent video professionals and wildlife shooters from jumping ship over the next six months. Autofocus at f/8 is a big deal for people who spend big money on big lenses. If I was in the market for a big telephoto I would certainly think about getting a cheaper Nikon D600 or D800 and slap it on a shorter tele with extenders rather than having to get a bigger tele for the same reach or having to get a very expensive 1DX.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 11:48:02 AM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2012, 11:56:18 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm going to do more research..but from just looking at this thing...it seems to be a specialzed computer to record an incoming signal.

I'd think a laptop, netbook, or even perhaps a decent tablet hooked to an external hardrive could act at the video recorder?

For sure a laptop or netbook of sufficient cpu/gpu power...? I've got those laying around.

Hmm....might make for an interesting experiment...I've been seeing even set ups, with HD video travelling wirelessly for home use...wondering if you could plug the HDMI out of the Canon 5D3 into the HD transmitter....which sends it to your computer/laptop which could then do the actual recordeing, and that way, not have a ton of equipment extra you need to haul around with your camera on a tripod or other holding device....?

Thoughts?

C

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2012, 11:57:50 AM »
I will take any freebies Canon decides to uncripple my way... F8 AF is welcome!

400mm F5.6 with 1.4iii now possible.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2012, 11:57:50 AM »