October 20, 2014, 06:07:47 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware adds HDMI & AF Upgrades  (Read 33355 times)

bkorcel

Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware adds HDMI & AF Upgrades
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2012, 11:59:36 AM »
Quite glad it is happening.  While I would like to have those features now, I certainly would rather they regression test the new firmware rather than have it fail when I need the camera the most.  They can take as much time as they need.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2012, 11:59:36 AM »

Murdy

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2012, 12:15:45 PM »
6 months?!

No Red Light AF illumination?!

Every single day, I curse Canon for not sorting this out. Makes work very difficult at times, if not impossible.

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
Seeing more features are released from Canon make me feel glad to be a Magic Lantern supporter.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

coreyhkh

• Canon AE-1
  • www.flickr.com/photos/corey-hayes/
    • View Profile
    • My wildlife photos
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2012, 12:25:11 PM »
WHy is it taking so long until it comes out???? thats like 6 months away

kirispupis

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2012, 12:36:43 PM »
Let me guess.  The release date is scheduled for April 1st?
5D3|TS-E 24 II|TS-E 17|TS-E 90|200-400/1.4x|MP-E 65|100/2.8 IS Macro|70-200/2.8 IS II||16-35/2.8 II|EOS M

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2012, 12:43:07 PM »
6 months my arse.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2012, 01:09:41 PM »
For those complaining about the 6 month lead time, I agree wholeheartedly that this is a 'first strike' sort of announcement to protect big dollar / big glass folks from jumping ship.

I know jumping ship is both rare and impractical, but when there are (numerous?!) $10k lens purchases at stake, this announcement -- albeit very early -- makes a lot of sense.  Anyone who (a) is already in the Canon fold, (b) is a birder/sports-type guy and (c) is on the verge of a big new glass purchase should be reassured by this announcement.

I say this b/c at the time of announcement of specs (not when the AF illumination issue came up, which came up later, during use), the biggest complaints I noted on the forums were:

• Where are is my huge megapixel body / crying that Nikon won some nonsensical 'better spec' battle (regardless of whether you agree with this, it was an overwhelming chatter point in the forums, and not just by fanboys)
  • Why can't we have video AF?
  • Where is my uncompressed video?
  • Why can't I get AF F/8 at the center point for 1.4X F/5.6 or 2X F/4 extender use?  (Granted, this seemed to be more on the 1DX front than the 5D3 front)
  • Where can't we have spot metering at the selected AF point like the 1DX?  (Okay, no one really complained about that other than me, but I'm still putting it on this list.)

As some of these are only addressable via new hardware, at least Canon is hearing out it's users and tackling what it reasonably can tackle.  You can't exactly replace the sensor with a firmware change, right?

Shouldn't we keep our feet on the ground here?  Or am I trying to reason with a mob in full bloom?  :-P

- A
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:30:56 PM by ahsanford »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2012, 01:09:41 PM »

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2012, 01:18:37 PM »
  • Where can't we have spot metering at the selected AF point like the 1DX?  (Okay, no one really complained about that other than me, but I'm still putting it on this list.)
You've missed a few votes, including mine - this is my only REAL gripe about the 5D3. The red illumination thingy is second, but it's not close - I can work around that. This, not so much.
Shouldn't we keep our feet on the ground here?  Or am I trying to reason with a mob in full bloom?  :-P
As you might have read earlier in this thread, people have camera's that malfunction because of these rumours. That is a very serious concern and you can't blame anyone but Canon. I'm mostly surprised at how few people have announced their switching to Nikon, but presumedly, the night is still young  ::)
Fed up with brandism.

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2012, 01:28:19 PM »
You've missed a few votes, including mine - this is my only REAL gripe about the 5D3. The red illumination thingy is second, but it's not close - I can work around that. This, not so much.
As you might have read earlier in this thread, people have camera's that malfunction because of these rumours. That is a very serious concern and you can't blame anyone but Canon. I'm mostly surprised at how few people have announced their switching to Nikon, but presumedly, the night is still young  ::)

Re: the spot metering at the selected AF point...

5D3 has the 1DX's AF system (a kingly gift, I might add, what a huge upgrade over the 5D2!), but the 1DX has different/better metering, I believe with a dedicated processor for that task.  So it's a hardware wish -- 5D3 folks really shouldn't hold their breath for that, right?

al2

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2012, 01:28:43 PM »
Canon might be using April 2013 as a conservative estimate.  If they said December 2012 and were a month late there would be an uproar.  When it's scheduled for April and if they deliver in February or March they exceed expectations.

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2012, 01:28:56 PM »
Aha! We have all fallen for the oldest engineering trick in the book - tell 'em it'll take 6 months when you know it'll take just 2 or 3 so when you release the fix "early" it looks like you're a miracle worker who puts the customer first!

Plus all this at no extra charge! Seriously? Canon had to say that? If I ever have to pay for a firmware update that's when I jump to Nikon. Whilst I like my 5D3 it was initially over-priced as shown by the big price-drops now available. Still, at least I've taken enough shots that I couldn't have got from the 40D I had.  ::)

I predict January for the release.....or August...or....

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2012, 01:32:01 PM »
Canon might be using April 2013 as a conservative estimate.  If they said December 2012 and were a month late there would be an uproar.  When it's scheduled for April and if they deliver in February or March they exceed expectations.

You beat me to the punch by 13 seconds! Great minds think alike!

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2012, 01:33:50 PM »
Aha! We have all fallen for the oldest engineering trick in the book - tell 'em it'll take 6 months when you know it'll take just 2 or 3 so when you release the fix "early" it looks like you're a miracle worker who puts the customer first!

Plus all this at no extra charge! Seriously? Canon had to say that? If I ever have to pay for a firmware update that's when I jump to Nikon. Whilst I like my 5D3 it was initially over-priced as shown by the big price-drops now available. Still, at least I've taken enough shots that I couldn't have got from the 40D I had.  ::)

I predict January for the release.....or August...or....
For a six month delay they will have to squeeze in the AF illumination fix, improve the minimum shutter at auto iso and whatever else has been mentioned as a shortcoming that can be solved by firmware. Even so they will be late!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2012, 01:33:50 PM »

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2012, 01:51:51 PM »
So it's a hardware wish -- 5D3 folks really shouldn't hold their breath for that, right?
I'd love to be able to say 'right you are' and be done with it, but I fear here's some more fuel for the hate brigade :P

If you compare http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/eos_1d_x_explained.do (click page 7) and http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/inside_canon_eos_5d_mark_iii.do (click Metering and exposure control), you'll notice both camera's have very different systems. The 1DX even has a dedicated Digic 4 to deal with metering.

However, the 5D3 does have a 63 zone metering sensor that presumedly could follow AF points. If you're doing 61pt auto selected AF (and maybe zone AF too), it actually will weigh the lighting for all focus points that have focus. So there it already does what we want it to do, but only if the camera gets to pick the focus points. And with Evaluative, Spot, Partial and Centre-weighted metering however, it always works for the center point only (with more or less extra zones around it used depending on the mode), no matter where you have achieved focus.

So I believe Canon could improve this with a firmware update. If it would work as accurate as with the 1DX, especially taking into account the lesser hardware - probably not. But I'm convinced it can be done. Sorry ;)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:56:52 PM by Rat »
Fed up with brandism.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2012, 02:00:48 PM »
Canon... if you want to stop being Cripple Nazi's... here what we want from the Firmware..

1) Let FoCal control the 5d3/1Dx natively without us fiddling with the menus manually.
2) You made us pay for 1 Series AF through our teeth... now live up and link the metering to AF point. This is rudimentary requirement...
3) Let my iPad tether the camera... why should I need some 80's era device to achieve this?

Oh yeah, Red light illumination for the rest of my CR buddies...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 02:03:42 PM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2012, 02:00:48 PM »