Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Video

Amazing new ML firmware for the 5D3! Clean HDMI [DOESN'T WORK!!]

(1/5) > >>

LetTheRightLensIn:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/whats-new/104-releases/143-second-alpha-for-5d-mark-iii

Hopefully I have enough posts to get this topic going and not sit in limbo as the two other guys who tried to start it up.

LetTheRightLensIn:
So what sort of portable recorders are people using? I've heard that some very small, high quality and not too crazy priced ones have been released over the last year but don't know any of the details.

t.linn:
That's a good question.  I'd be interested too. 

I wonder how many visitors to this site are focused on video.  I know there are other video-centric sites for Canon users.  I am interested in video but I am far more interested in stills.  I'm not sure I've even tried to shoot video on my 6 month old 5D3.

Chris Burch:
I've been progressively shooting video with DSLRs more often these days.  This weekend I was asked to shoot video of performances an arts festival/showcase.  There  were musicians, dancers and a choir all on stage under manageable, but uneven lighting.  If the performer stayed put in one spot, it wasn't bad, but any movement was a mess.  Trying to pan, zoom and keep focus locked (all manually of course) really requires 3 hands.  I also didn't have an external monitor attached, so determining focus was rather hard to do.  I went into it expecting it to be a chore to shoot, but it was worse than I expected and this was with a 1DX.  As a result, I have lost all desire to shoot video with the DSLR unless it's a static subject.  The zoom box during recording is a VERY useful feature because you can confirm focus.  The gradual transition of setting changes (aperture/shutter/ISO) is also a great feature.  I might try the full version of ML on my 5D2, but it's still going to be rough to pull off decent videos of moving subjects.  I think I might give up on the DSLR platform for video and invest in a reasonably priced pro camcorder.

LetTheRightLensIn:

--- Quote from: t.linn on October 23, 2012, 03:55:20 PM ---That's a good question.  I'd be interested too. 

I wonder how many visitors to this site are focused on video.  I know there are other video-centric sites for Canon users.  I am interested in video but I am far more interested in stills.  I'm not sure I've even tried to shoot video on my 6 month old 5D3.

--- End quote ---

http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=4931

Ninja 2 sounds promising

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version