October 30, 2014, 09:16:42 AM

Author Topic: Amazing new ML firmware for the 5D3! Clean HDMI [DOESN'T WORK!!]  (Read 8060 times)

vuilang

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
do you record uncompressed hdmi output video signal (which bring HUGE gb/hr video file) from the event/wedding??
how long do it take to encode it into DVD? i cant dare to imagine cuz it's already taking me too much time to encode it. and i only recorded it at high-compression 1080p 30fps from 5d3? I believe that's 25mbps.

With the Hyperdeck you can record full uncompressed but it is like a 1.5TB drive for just two hours of footage or something  ;D.

They also have compressed modes (rates up to 220mbps).
~1.5tb for 2hrs??? so, What is the "real usage" of uncompressed HDMI?

canon rumors FORUM

syder

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
do you record uncompressed hdmi output video signal (which bring HUGE gb/hr video file) from the event/wedding??
how long do it take to encode it into DVD? i cant dare to imagine cuz it's already taking me too much time to encode it. and i only recorded it at high-compression 1080p 30fps from 5d3? I believe that's 25mbps.

With the Hyperdeck you can record full uncompressed but it is like a 1.5TB drive for just two hours of footage or something  ;D.

Uncompressed imo isn't very useful. You don't need that much data for 99.9% of jobs.

On the other hand being able to go from recording h264 encoded QTs which are 8 bit 4:2:0 at 90mb/s (all-i) to DNxHD/ProRes (ie the native codecs used by Avid/FCP) 10 bit 4:2:2 at 220mb/s means you're retaining far more colour information within your image, definitely meaning that you have a lot more leeway to perform deep grades on your footage. It'll be interesting to see what a 10 bit HDMI out image from the 5dmiii looks like given the various criticisms the h264 footage has seen - we'll find out if some of the apparent lack of resolution is a codec issue.

Working directly in DNxHD/ProRes is also a big workflow improvement, and means you can have more RT video tracks and RT effects on fast computers, and means no more having to transcode your footage before editing on slower machines.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile

For most people to record it in ProRes or something and to not use the uncompressed recording option  ;D.
I suppose a very few might have the capacity to deal with full uncompressed and to maintain the max signal and have the final edit be the first time compression is applied.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
I suspect if there is an improvement in sharpness it will be minimal with an external recorder.  The biggest difference will be if you're shooting green screen and doing alot of keying.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile

Dam...I almost forgot about the video on my 5D III.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

JasonATL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Here's my first shot at using the HyperDeck Shuttle to record the clean HDMI out from the 5D Mark III.

The deinterlacing is a PITA! I certainly hope that April's Canon firmware update will yeild a true 24p HDMI output. But, I'm not optimistic.

HDMI out of 5D Mark III using Magic Lantern Alpha 2 on Vimeo

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Here's my first shot at using the HyperDeck Shuttle to record the clean HDMI out from the 5D Mark III.

The deinterlacing is a PITA! I certainly hope that April's Canon firmware update will yeild a true 24p HDMI output. But, I'm not optimistic.

ugh. awful result. i hope there is some way to set ML or something or other to get the rull res out of it otherwise these external recorders will be less than useless until the canon firmware, which now seems very, very far off sadly with not working out perhaps

thank god canon is coming out with it eventually though

canon rumors FORUM